IGNORED

New hard rock/metal recomendations

beerwolf

Guest Lube Saibot

Fucking awesome.

Now, i've already mentioned textures, but i feel they deserve a youtube plug as well, being more obscure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMD4EXPj_YM

So do Gorguts (they split up but are reuniting soon):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPw0JUptfUM&feature=related

So do Into the Moat (i think they also split up or something):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGTjF58XuIU

Rock with your cocks out.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tht tne

[youtubehd]40Hp4AoUNcE&[/youtubehd]

this is awesome! more accessible than meshuggah for me because i have a hard time with jens kidman's vocals

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Architects are fucking awesome, dont mind emo ish melodic vocals some of the time but Im not a huge fan of theres though

so many of these progressive metal bands are soo inspired by meshuggah and botch

Guest Lube Saibot

I've always wanted to like Botch due to them being to seminal but i never could. I mean, it's not that I DON'T like it, it's just that it bores me.

It's the same with August Burns Red and Pelican and some other things, i wanted to like 'em but i didn't.

Guest MaxChewie

Seconding Boris and Giant Squid, altought you may want to avoid Boris' drone albums.

I'm suprised no one mentioned Melvins yet, they're pretty much what beerwolf is looking for, even if it's not a new band.

also check:

Witch

Earthless

Ufomammut

Atheist

Neurosis

Guest Lube Saibot

Old(er) stuff that was ahead of its time that you haven't mentioned: Candlemass, St. Vitus, Melvins, Neurosis, Cult of Luna

I'm suprised no one mentioned Melvins yet, they're pretty much what beerwolf is looking for, even if it's not a new band.

Neurosis

Guest MaxChewie

Old(er) stuff that was ahead of its time that you haven't mentioned: Candlemass, St. Vitus, Melvins, Neurosis, Cult of Luna

Neurosis

Let me facepalm at myself

av-6854.jpg

I've moved pretty far away from metal too, which is a bit of a shame.

But I'd definitely second Meshuggah (especially "Nothing") and Boris

Have you heard Isis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopiG1Qhlh8

but yeah I'm loosing touch with it a bit too; it's hard when you've got artists like SP and Clark around :huh:

Also, if you're feeling adventurous: Panzerballett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7w85EmjMlU

Guest PWSTEAL

Opeth. their first 8 albums are absolutely incredible. stay away from Watershed if you still want to be able to respect them.

Opeth is one of my all time favorite bands.

But I have to disagree with you, Watershed is amazing,

I think you probably haven't given it much of a chance.

Opeth is one of those bands you have to give a few real hard listens to before you can fully understand an album.

Morning rise, I really didn't care for at all when I first got it, I was more into black water park, deliverance & my arms you hearse. After a long time of disliking morning rise, it eventually become one of my all time favorite records ever, simply a more than amazing album.

When ghost reveres first came out, I hated it, I thought it was a giant leap to lameness for Opeth,

then after a few weeks of listening to it, i finally came to understanding it, and saw it's amazing-ness.

Same thing with Watershed, I thought it was not horrible, but just no-wear near as good as previous Opeth releases, but after many listens, i finally realized how amazing Watershed was.

Almost every Opeth CD I did not like at first, but then I gradually came to loving it.

the only Opeth CD's that grabbed me right away were Black Water Park & Deliverance.

And that's because in my youth, When I first started getting into Opeth,

I was more into thrash & death metal.

Guest uptown devil

everyone's crying out loud for mastodom, but i would just recomend some Rush, you'll never find better, old or new...

and why is watershed not any good and the album to make you lose respect for opeth?

i love opeth; still life and my arms, your hearse are my favorites.

i was debating not posting this, but i guess i will since the argument is continuing..

well for starters, it has no Martin Lopez or Peter Lindgren on it, who were replaced with shitty Roadrunner mercenaries. there's no replacing Lopez regardless. if anything call up Anders Nordin, especially if you're just trying to steal Lopez's beats anyway.

to me the album sounds like commercialized, watered down Opeth. i also think that it borrows too much from Ghost Reveries, melodically and thematically; and doesn't really progress in any real sense which i've come to expect from album to album. and fuck the female vocal feature. it sounds way over the top produced, like Disturbed or Korn or something, and lacks the natural element present on every album previous (despite maybe Ghost Reveries). i'll take Steven Wilson any day over this new shit. fuck Roadrunner for polluting Akerfeldt.

shortly after it's release, there was a video interview with Akerfeldt in which he's wearing a scarf, sipping on a huge cup of starbucks with his legs crossed like an effeminate movie director. that image is such an absurd juxtaposition to songs like Demon of the Fall, Black Rose Immortal, White Cluster, etc.. he seems to have caught a bit of the Roger Waters flu in allowing money and ego to effect the purity of his music.

i couldn't have been a bigger Opeth fan for the past 8 years or so. bought every album, been to a bunch of shows, and am very thankful for the music they have made. unfortunately it seems as though Ghost Reveries was a turning point and Watershed is Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'.

sorry to get preachy, i've been pissed off about this album since its release.

@STEEL(is it alright if i call you STEEL?): i can honestly say there wasn't a single album previous to Watershed that i didn't love immediately, Morningrise probably being my favorite.

Guest PWSTEAL

shortly after it's release, there was a video interview with Akerfeldt in which he's wearing a scarf, sipping on a huge cup of starbucks with his legs crossed like an effeminate movie director.

I still say that you should give Watershed an other chance, it is amazing, and progressive.

I disliked it at first as well, but after opening my mind & listening to it more, I saw its awesomeness.

And by the way, the whole starbucks scarf thing, even though Akerfeldt is a badass musician & makes some really good metal, he's always been kinda fruity, nothing new.

Have you heard of Katatonia? Mikael Åkerfeldt was in the band for one album, and it was IMO their best album. Anyone who hasn't, check out "Brave, Murder, Day" By Katatonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tW9fekzJo

shortly after it's release, there was a video interview with Akerfeldt in which he's wearing a scarf, sipping on a huge cup of starbucks with his legs crossed like an effeminate movie director.

I still say that you should give Watershed an other chance, it is amazing, and progressive.

I disliked it at first as well, but after opening my mind & listening to it more, I saw its awesomeness.

And by the way, the whole starbucks scarf thing, even though Akerfeldt is a badass musician & makes some really good metal, he's always been kinda fruity, nothing new.

Have you heard of Katatonia? Mikael Åkerfeldt was in the band for one album, and it was IMO their best album. Anyone who hasn't, check out "Brave, Murder, Day" By Katatonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tW9fekzJo

damn that is one lame song

A new "Fredrik Thordendal Special Defects" is on the way. Morgan is back on drums, and Devin Townsend will do the vocals.

great news

A new "Fredrik Thordendal Special Defects" is on the way. Morgan is back on drums, and Devin Townsend will do the vocals.

Yeah I read about that. I can't wait. If it's better than Sol Niger Within I'll shit my pants. I'm interested to see what kind of vocals Devin will do, and hopefully he's producing it.

Archived