IGNORED

why do noise gates make you feel good?!

Guest tht tne

Guest tht tne
It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific. Right? So you know, I am in heaven.

pumping-iron.jpg

edit: corrected thread title from "gaters" to "noise gates" to ward off closing/nonsense/crap

Guest tht tne

i mean a noise gate... i thought everyone called them "gaters..." like at the end of mt. saint michel... it feels good, innit?

Guest tht tne

wattmgate 2010

watmm is probably as frequently misspelled "wattm" as asymm head is misspelled "assym head..." let's get someone in here on the statistics

Guest tht tne

It's like strobe lights for audio, and everyone knows strobe lights are awesome.

yeah well if i'm gonna enjoy something i have to know why so there

Guest tht tne

well on a technical term, I think it's the shifting of extremes in sound. like when a particular sound goes up and down in pitch at a fast rate it sort of becomes humourous, we find it "silly" because we recognise this as a near-impossible event - very few natural sound sources can modulate pitch at a fast rate (I'm talking about continuous sounds with distinct "ups" and "downs" in pitch, not like when the modulation is so fast that it sounds like an FM synth) so we recognise it as absurd and hence "unusual". gating works in a similar way IMO - it is not natural for a sound to be present and then go to silence in almost no time at all, then be present again in an equally quick transition. when this is consistently continuous, we hear it as unusual and hence "cool".

this is all speculation and opinion though, so make of it what you will.

this

hm

That would be gator, as in alligator.

I don't know what a noise gate is either. :facepalm:

he changed the thread title. i swear to you it made good sense at the time. As far as "noise gates" are concerned, that's technically not even the effect you're talking about. You're just talking about audio enveloping/gating, like a square wave lfo on audio, on/off stylee. A noise gate silences background noise/hum that goes above a certain threshold (user defined if you will).

It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific. Right? So you know, I am in heaven.

Arnie retracted that quote soon after I think.

Wow st micheas mt end really does have gating out the wazzoo, pretty epic, I never noticed that. what a legend of a track.

Also noise gates can freak you out, eg applied to some spooky slowed down horror dialogue amplifies the weird, VSnares does this here and there. I think.

And afx on reunion 2 the gate just makes me lol. I think it is there for lolz.

Surely a noise gate is a compressor that removes hiss,static etc. from recordings. You're thinking more of a rhythm gate I'm guessing ?

EDIT: sneaksta303 got there first ....

Guest Lube Saibot

As far as "noise gates" are concerned, that's technically not even the effect you're talking about. You're just talking about audio enveloping/gating, like a square wave lfo on audio, on/off stylee. A noise gate silences background noise/hum that goes above a certain threshold (user defined if you will).

^this

+

Surely a noise gate is a compressor that removes hiss,static etc. from recordings. You're thinking more of a rhythm gate I'm guessing ?

^this

I call what the OP is talking about "trancegates", from the olden days of using reFx Vanguard.

All noise gates I've used employ a threshold value on the input level, and shuts the signal on or off accordingly. Typically used to prevent feedback when playing an overdriven guitar, or to remove bleed through when mic'ing a drum kit. So I disagree with the above posters' dismissal of OP's nomenclature.

Sidechaining it with an LFO or MIDI synch or whatever doesn't change the fact that it's a noise gate, either.

Of course, we are all right:

Wikipedia to the rescue

NS2.jpg

boss-ns-50-noise-suppressor.jpg

"nomenclature" - good word ! Yeah thinking about it you could indeed use a noise gate as a rhythm gate if you routed it in that way - though I guess you could do it with any kind of compressor if you set it to a really high ratio.

Archived