IGNORED

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

lol... passion pit and crystal castles...

you call that rage? that's the equivelant of scoffing.

I'm disappointed.

Is it bad that every time I see CC on the internet somewhere, I don't end up listening to them because they look dirty in their pictures and somehow I equate their need to shower with some sort of musical shortcoming?

Honestly, it's funny because so many other musicians look dirty/unkempt in photos and it doesn't really enter into my mind except in their case.

Guest Backson

honestly, their image as the heroin chic, hipster, myspace band kills their credability.

not that they're everyone's cup of tea, but I heard them on community radio (one of their instrumentals) and i was just amazed because I'd never heard anything like it. I bought the album and enjoyed it alot. This was all without the internet, of course.

Guest Glass Plate

CC isn't worthy of anything more than a brush off. They want you to care about them not caring. Instead I simply don't care and lol at the fail.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Backson

This album is excellent.

I can't take much of the criticism of the band seriously after listening to this. That's not me being high and mighty, but nothing in this album feels like pretension or hype like the experts claim.

Methinks its hipper to hate them than like them.

I dislike the new album. The only tracks I don't find annoying are Doe Deer, Intimate, Empathy, Not In Love and I Am Made of Chalk. It [imo] has lost the dreamlike melancholy and tension of some of their earlier tracks and her voice doesn't sound the same. It seems more upbeat. From the opinions I've read, those who like this record didn't like the first and weren't expecting much.

Guest Backson

I dislike the new album. The only tracks I don't find annoying are Doe Deer, Intimate, Empathy, Not In Love and I Am Made of Chalk. It [imo] has lost the dreamlike melancholy and tension of some of their earlier tracks and her voice doesn't sound the same. It seems more upbeat. From the opinions I've read, those who like this record didn't like the first and weren't expecting much.

its going to sound like I'm backflipping, but I agree closely with that. I haven't been enjoying albums recently, so I decided to approach new albums with no expectations. With this one, there were tracks I liked alot, and the album is very nice, but I today listened to album one and remembered how amazing it is. So "II" is good for a sophmore and has great moments (and will please more people coz its less 8-bit and more reverby [reverb = critical praise]), but "I" is still king for its beauty out of nothing aesthetic.

I love Vietnam though. So tense, so unworldly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dirty Protest

I really like the first half of the album, but the second half is just bland and unmemorable. Shame.

Guest kelvanE

I enjoyed the first album a lot --- loved songs 'Courtship Dancing', 'Crimewave', and 'Knights' best. I really like the new album. I think it's just as good. The sound does change to more emotional (less abrasive) mostly in her voice and added pop elements.

I, like a lot of others I think, fell for 'Celestica' on II. Others I really like are: 'Baptism', 'Year of Silence', wait like the entire album I just realized. I actually love the last song 'I Am Made Of Chalk' --- a good experimental/electroacoustic piece.

Guest Backson

Year of Silence is strangely amazing, and its only just occured to me.

Ethan says he wanted to make a song that sounded like a shitty goth club.

• 4 weeks later...

I, for one like most of the tracks on this release - I haven't listened to their first album yet, so I dunno if I'll have the same "love the second, hate the first" feeling others have mentioned.

Guest Backson

the main difference between one and two is that the second uses more reverb and different sorts of synths, whilst the first was dry and relied on blips.

i still say the first is my favourite.

Archived