IGNORED

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

karmakramer

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not to mention that Shell stood by while the Nigerian govt executed activists like Ken Saro Wiwa...BP needs to step up and start killing people...

Shell did more than stand by...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/business/global/09shell.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

shell maintain their innocence, the 15.5 mil hush money was just them being a good corporate citizen :whistling::emotawesomepm9:

blood of the earth; and guess who the vampires r

people who use their computers to type out accusatory messages on electronic bulletin boards?

What's funny about this mess is how the far right will be the first to attack the current administration for its perceived inaction on the oil spill, but the rest of their platform champions the values of smaller government and corporate freedom. From that perspective, shouldn't it be up to BP to clean this up?

• 1 month later...
Guest abusivegeorge

It's undergoing a 48 hour test to see if it can withstand the pressure. It's stopped at the minute, it's not to say it won't blow the fuck off (it's a cap) before the 48 hours. At the minute, the concern is that pressure will build up elsewhere in the pipeline if this cap does stop the current leak, and blow us a whole new fucking asshole somewhere else along the line.

accumulative thinking can be an advantage when applied to most things.

one or the other is in many cases both and a single element is only a piece of the bigger picture

It's the government's fault. For real. Not even joking.

yeah!

Indeed!

Not Really!

Ahh bogus. I read a NYT editorial written by an environmentalist ascribing some blame to the gov't, but used different reasons than the ones I would cite.

I've never really liked BP anyway, always drove the extra mile to use a different gas station.

Guest Gary C

It's not a real paranoid fear that I'm having, but recently I have been beginning to entertain the thought that there are already residual side-effects of this oil spill.

This was mostly started after I read here that BP were using chemicals that were merely hiding the oil, thinning it, and that it was still leaking and washing ashore. Possibly being evaporated. Can oil even be evaporated like water?

Just people coughing a bit more. An oily feeling I get when it's humid. Drinking water tasting funnier. I would like to say that rain-water has killed plants, but it hasn't, so I guess I'm just being paranoid.

But I haven't entertained the thought any more than this post. I just thought it was an interesting fear, maybe leading to something like the world of The Road.

woah...are you serious Rook? You would actually lay blame on the government? i thought you were an old-fashioned "keep your government off my business" republican?

the real funny thing about this is BP and Exxon are drops in the bucket compared to the real big oil players.

woah...are you serious Rook? You would actually lay blame on the government? i thought you were an old-fashioned "keep your government off my business" republican?

the real funny thing about this is BP and Exxon are drops in the bucket compared to the real big oil players.

well, I was only a republican for about three months so that I could vote in the primary elections.

But yes, yes I would. BP could have drilled right on the coast and it would have been completely safe. Instead, the law makers want to appease their constituents since no one wants an ugly oil rig on the coast and for some reason, it appeases the environmentalists if they can't see the oil rig from the coast. So anyway, congress affords the oil companies the last option of being allowed to drill only in one of the most dangerous places on the face of the Earth, a five mile deep ocean where a square inch of water packs as much pressure as a 200 pound car. It's ridiculously dangerous but we are getting our oil not from the nasty middle east but from home and who cares if we put the oil companies and their workers in a dangerous situation as long as it doesn't upset our beautiful beaches. The technology is so difficult to operate, I think only like 13 of these wells exist. So surprise surprise, the oil well blows up, and no one knows what to do because the technology to fix it literally hasn't been invented yet (until now apparently).

Really, if the regulators are going to regulate, they ought to do something actually helpful and push alternative energy. But bombarding the oil companies with rules and laws that make it dangerous to dig for the resource and continually leave us dependent on this extremely limited resource, is just silly.

For the record, if we start tearing up Alaska and more national wildlife conservation areas, I'm gonna whack out.

Guest Gary C

For the record, if we start tearing up Alaska and more national wildlife conservation areas, I'm gonna whack out.

crazy_fat_kid.gif

Archived