IGNORED

NIN - Tetsuo The Bullet Man

oscillik

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Nice

I still haven't seen Tetsuo

I hear mixed things about the sequel .

Guest Greg Reason

This is the best thing Trent's done in years. Far, far better than HTDA. With any luck the next NIN album will be in this manner

This is the best thing Trent's done in years. Far, far better than HTDA. With any luck the next NIN album will be in this manner

if he can stop putting all his analogue stuff through the same fucking digital pro tools fuckery, then yeah i'll be looking forward to more of this kind of sound.

but do you know what i mean? although there's a lot of noise here, it's just too fucking clean.

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah he's really into that nowadays... I guess he just gets off on the digital sparkle. I still prefer TDS to everything else but I'll be happy with new material like this even if he keeps up the squeaky clean production.

if he can stop putting all his analogue stuff through the same fucking digital pro tools fuckery, then yeah i'll be looking forward to more of this kind of sound.

but do you know what i mean? although there's a lot of noise here, it's just too fucking clean.

Yeah this sounds like metasonix, sherman filterbank, and the ebb und flut :)

This sounds cool. When was this made? I thought NIN was over.

i thought that nin just stopped going live? trent is getting up there now, so his fragile bones can't handle touring anymore

Yeah , all he said is "nine inch nails" is done touring, not making music. Since NIN is him anyway. He was probably starting to feel quite jaded with the name and the live band as it stayed the same for a good long while (93-97) with only the loss of vrenna up to 01. And after that was ever changing every tour. I think when Danny Lohner joined in on the very last nin live show, it really showed how NIN live is really Reznor, Fink, Lohner, Clouser, and Vrenna. Just in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll tour or play shows in some way or another, whether under the NIN name or not. He's always been one of the best performers in any genre. Always giving 100% even when spaced out on heron and especially when skiied up on coca.

It would be great to see him start doing electronic gigs in the vein of Mouse on Mars.

Guest Greg Reason

I dunno. James Wooley did just as well on keys as Clouser did and Vrenna was good but not remarkable. He simply played the parts exactly like on the records, Jerome was just as good and Josh Freese was far better. Ilan was quite remarkable the few times I saw them play with him and as much as I love Danny Lohner, Justin Meldal-Jonsen is a motherfucker of a bassist (far better than DL) and he seemed to really love being in NIN.

I guess what I'm saying is if Trent and Robin Finck is in the band it's a fuckin solid NIN.

seriously this track, along with recent events, just makes me wanna do some fucking dirty gritty industrial sounding stuff.

like you wouldn't fucking believe.

bad-ugly boring tuneless wank... coming from a former huge nin person. first favorite band and all that. trent, having all thhe toys in the world and releasing stuff like this is like becoming president of the united states and.. being george bush. you suck, stop

Guest Greg Reason

bad-ugly boring tuneless wank... coming from a former huge nin person. first favorite band and all that. trent, having all thhe toys in the world and releasing stuff like this is like becoming president of the united states and.. being george bush. you suck, stop

So you think Kinda I Want To is the best NIN track huh

Guest thepilot

Why did Tsukamoto have to make this film in English? Last time I watched the work of a Japanese director with a (broken) English speaking cast was Miike's Imprint. It was dreadful. I was embarrassed for the director/cast. In Kim Ki Duk's Coast Guard there is an American actor and he was also terrible. Apparently Korean cinema is guilty of this too. This ruins the illusion and takes one so far out of the film's implied world that one never really totally resigns control to the director's vision again from that point on. You see actor when you should see character. And sadly viewing a film like this (even if it's by one of your fav. directors_) quickly deteriorates into Mystery Science Theater territory. In short, it is an unforgivable, cardinal sin of film-making. It is not possible to direct actors to speak realistically in a language of which you have only rudimentary knowledge. I think the worst part of the whole phenomenon is that it always happens with directors I admire/respect. (takashi miike, kim ki duk, now tsukamoto.......fuuuuuuu)

Why did Tsukamoto have to make this film in English? Last time I watched the work of a Japanese director with a (broken) English speaking cast was Miike's Imprint. It was dreadful.

I thought it added to the charm and gave it further originality. It was just another thing slightly off about the movie that made it all the more disorienting. Miike knows what the fuck he's doing.

Guest thepilot

Miike knows what the fuck he's doing in Japanese. That film was done in english because of the target audience of the masters of horror series. The over-acting of Billy Drago and the phonetic line-reading of the non english-speaking cast were merely by-products of a marketing strategy and not artistic decisions. If you see them that way, then fine, I respect that. People also grew to appreciate Ed Wood's alarmingly rubber headstones, but that doesn't mean his goal when shooting was to showcase their flexibility to the audience.

Miike knows what the fuck he's doing in Japanese. That film was done in english because of the target audience of the masters of horror series. The over-acting of Billy Drago and the phonetic line-reading of the non english-speaking cast were merely by-products of a marketing strategy and not artistic decisions.

Exactly, it was done in english for the target audience, and that's in part what makes it what it is. It's not something I imagine he was anticipating, but he saw the opportunity and decided to have some fun with it. I think you're wrong about the phonetic line-reading being part of a marketing strategy --those actors for the most part did not speak english and had to learn the parts phonetically. It's awkward to emote naturally in a languge you are unfamiliar with. That said, I don't think it was necessarily an artistic decision either, more something that occured incidentally because of the circumstances.

Guest thepilot

Naturally I was not implying that the phonetic pronunciation of the language was in and of itself a marketing strategy. That is inane.

I'll try again: It was made in English to sell to Americans. The Japanese actors/actresses were forced to phonetically learn lines because they were written.....in English, hence the correlation.

It is not as if this was a Japanese/American co-production in any sense but a financial one. Nearly the entire cast, the director and crew were Japanese. This would have been a better production if done in the actors'/director's/crew's native tongue.

I don't even know why I'm arguing so fervently for this point, it's not like this was anything more than Mick Garris cashing in on Ichi and Audition.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. To bring the topic back to it's original destination, I am in favor of a "washed-up trent reznor" emoticon. I think it would go over well here. Considering his unmitigated popularity amongst watmmers, a sub-forum might...

Archived