IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, and to comment on what azatoth was suggesting...that argument just doesn't have enough meat, ya know? If it did, we'd see something similar happening in other youth systems. England are the only ones suffering, so I think the problem lies elsewhere.

Quality is quality and I'm sorry, but if the English youth system was stocked with talent, that talent would find a way.

If English footballers are only capable of playing well in England, that's England's fault at a culturally institutional level and you can't blame Premiership football clubs for not handing out cookies and orange slices to the English pups to fix it.

In other words, I'm starting to understand the argument, but expecting the clubs to fix it is stupid. Incredibly stupid.

I'd take a better look at pride and heart. When you thrown on your nation's kit, you should play with pride and heart. Pride and heart = passion, full 90, [insert favorite cliche]. Sound ridiculous?

Think of it this way...what characteristic, overall, describes the European powers that are now sucking dick at the bus station? Let me go ahead and tell you. France, Italy, and England, in order of severity, played with too little pride and no heart.

When super talented footballers fail to find form for country, repeatedly, despite their success for club, STOP FUCKING CAPPING THEM. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, HOW MANY CHANCES CAN YOU GIVE LAMPARD ET AL.??????

Guest Mirezzi

So that disallowed goal thing happened 3 times?

Cos, y'know, otherwise it doesnt really matter eh

It still matters. (Not as much as the English media will tell you, but it does.)

Guest Richy

I cant see FIFA or anyone bringing in video refs. You would have to decide which incidents the video ref could be called upon. For something like today, where the ball was clearly over the line? This kind of thing happens once in a blue moon. In fact more or less never, doesn't make sense to spend money on something that would hardly ever get used.

People are saying they should be used for offside decisions. The Tevez goal today a clear example. IMO it would completely kill the game. You'd get teams appealing for the video ref for almost every single goal scored, and it would put pressure on the officials to use it more and more JUST IN CASE they missed an offside.

Then what happens when they go to video ref to check for offside and the replay shows some other minor infringement? A push, a slight handball, anything! You'd get people pointing out all the tiny little things that happen during a goal being scored as reasons for it being chalked off and then THEY would become the talking points. It would be a shambles. We all know what footballers and pundits are like. So as harsh as it it is for teams to have a genuine goal not allowed, or for a clear decision not to go their way, you just got to suck it up cos that's just the nature of the game. You win some you lose some.

Guest Mirezzi

Let's hope the Spaniards can put Christy and Co. out of this tournament. I have my fears though. Most notably, Marcos Senna was an absolute stud at Euro 2008. He's a bit old and was hurt too often this season at Villareal to make the squad. That means two guys, Busquets and Xabi Alonso, are doing the job Senna did by himself when they won the European Championship two years ago. I think this was already a problem in the game against the Swiss. With one less attacking player, they just looked a bit vulnerable. (I'm not a big fan of Busquets to begin with.) On top of that, Alonso is hurt.

That's the biggest factor I'm going to watch when it comes to Spain's chances against Portugal. I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, and to comment on what azatoth was suggesting...that argument just doesn't have enough meat, ya know? If it did, we'd see something similar happening in other youth systems. England are the only ones suffering, so I think the problem lies elsewhere.

Quality is quality and I'm sorry, but if the English youth system was stocked with talent, that talent would find a way.

However England did win the u-17 Euro this year.

I don't think the issue is too many foreigners in the Premiership, rather, not enough Englishmen in other leagues. The English players know one way to play. When you don't diversify, you die. It's not all bad - Rooney has one more chance at greatness - he'll be 28 in 2014. SWP, Lennon, Walcott are all still young. Milner will also be 28 in 2014 - and he was (barring the first match) very good for England. Stuart Downing (who I think is quite underrated) will be 29. Agbonlahor will be 27ish. 27-28 is pretty much optimal for a player, still have plenty of physical speed and power, but with much more experience.

We're soft at the back though, no denying that.

Guest blicero

what football needs:

1. blondes should be allowed to wear whatever sexy dress in the stadium they'd like, regardless of some hardly visible branding. commerce doesn't change or create laws.

2. no new balls for a world cup please

3. VIDEO REPLAY

and some other stuff

4. stop the goddamn clock when play stops.

5. replace extra time (15/15) with overtime

6. no more ties! 3 X 15min overtimes, followed by a shoot off

7. no more faking injuries, ya fuckin pussies.

Guest Jimbob

SWP, Lennon, Walcott are all still young. Milner will also be 28 in 2014 - and he was (barring the first match) very good for England. Stuart Downing (who I think is quite underrated) will be 29. Agbonlahor will be 27ish.

Shauny Wright is pushing 30 which is why City don't fancy giving him a nice new contract, for someone who relies heavily on pace and trickery. He'll be nowhere near the squad come 2014 I wouldn't think, and probably time for Adam Johnson and Lennon to step up, if they've got first team football in the PL (weird cause SWP has had a very indifferent season). I think the trouble is managers not trusting the young players enough and it's a real shame.

I am hoping Walcott will advance his career by the time the next internationals come around, but i really can't see it.

also

What?

Guest blicero

What?

"What?" what?

Guest Alex C

If the future of the England team doesn't involve Shawcross/Dann/Hart/Wilshere/Gibbs then I don't wanna know about it

sacking Capello would also be stupid

I just biked in to say:

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK.

MEXIFAIL.

ENGFAIL.

REFERFAIL.

GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGY FAIL.

FIFAIL.

what football needs:

1. blondes should be allowed to wear whatever sexy dress in the stadium they'd like, regardless of some hardly visible branding. commerce doesn't change or create laws.

2. no new balls for a world cup please

3. VIDEO REPLAY

and some other stuff

4. stop the goddamn clock when play stops.

7. no more faking injuries, ya fuckin pussies.

4. That's what stoppage time is added on the end for :cisfor:

5. What?

6. What what?

7. Part of the sport, unfortunately.

football needs to start worrying about the contact aspect of the game, it has become so much of a contact sport that it also gives the refs a hard time, and it makes the game much more difficult offensively and easy defensively, with the addition of the current implementation of the offside rule which makes the field tiny the game has reached quite a tactical stalemate.

Guest Richy

football needs to start worrying about the contact aspect of the game, it has become so much of a contact sport that it also gives the refs a hard time, and it makes the game much more difficult offensively and easy defensively, with the addition of the current implementation of the offside rule which makes the field tiny the game has reached quite a tactical stalemate.

More of a contact sport?? If anything there's less and less contact allowed. thanks to the rules you are barely allowed to touch another player. if you do, they go down, ref gives a foul. the hard tackle has all but been eliminated from the game thanks to the over zealous refs. It's spoiled the game and the more the refs try to clamp down on challenges the more the players are going to dive.

Archived