IGNORED

Getting a new mp3 player

Guest Sprigg

Guest Yegg

with a sony you buy quality + support a company that thought it was a good idea to install malware on end users computers. Good times.

Also does Sony have an MP3 player that has internet access, plays games and video, can be used for sketching out musical ideas etc etc...?

If you use winamp on Windows (I don't find iTunes that bad on windows, certainly not like Safari on windows, god what a piece of shit that is), you can use your iPod touch/iPhone without iTUnes by following these steps:

http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/IPhone#iPhone_without_iTunes_installation

yegg: I'm not butthurt, i just think the rage directed at an object/company is funny. But keep fighting the good fight.

:butthurt smugface:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck those ipod haters... tell me how's the sound fucking worse? It can press play. It can press pause. It can fucking skip to another album or whatever you want. You plug-in whatever headphones you got. WTF do you want more in a player?

Guest Al Hounos

Fuck those ipod haters... tell me how's the sound fucking worse? It can press play. It can press pause. It can fucking skip to another album or whatever you want. You plug-in whatever headphones you got. WTF do you want more in a player?

for an elitist bastard you sure sound like a pleb

1. sound quality

2. ogg/flac/avi support

3. no fucking itunes

4. not paying 'the apple premium'

and for the cowon s9/j3, the best screen on the market

oh yea and scrigg, the j3 is expensive because it just came out, and it's not much different from the S9. but it does come in a 32GB version so you could conceivably have a 64GB flash player if you wanted to. if you don't need that much space, get the S9.

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

ogg/flac/avi support

Guest Yegg

for an elitist bastard you sure sound like a pleb

1. sound quality

2. ogg/flac/avi support

3. no fucking itunes

5. a reset button/removable battery

and for the cowon s9/j3, the best screen on the market

oh yea and scrigg, the j3 is expensive because it just came out, and it's not much different from the S9. but it does come in a 32GB version so you could conceivably have a 64GB flash player if you wanted to. if you don't need that much space, get the S9.

I can't remember how many times my iPod has frozen and I had to wait for the battery to die before I could reset it.

Guest maoam

you can restart ipods easy enough by holding down two buttons for a few seconds. my ipod nano crashes all the time.

ive never had a problem with my nano.. the only time its messed up is when i unplugged it when it was syncing. and yea all you have to do is hold down menu and the center button for like 10 seconds and it restarts.

Guest Sprigg

The s9 certainly has a nice aesthetic to its design, and the 32Gig is almost as cheap as the J3... 32Gb would definitely be 'bout the amount I'm looking for. But I do like the idea of the J3 having the SD card slot in case I ever want/need more space.

Also does Sony have an MP3 player that has internet access, plays games and video, can be used for sketching out musical ideas etc etc...?

I really don't understand all the fuss about everything having internet access. I'm on too much at home, let alone being able to carry the whole interwebz around all the time. 0.o

internet access can be very useful when say looking up directions, finding out artist information, things like that. It's not all about bulletin boards and facebook.

ogg is a shitty format compared with aac (which is not an apple codec before you get your panties in a bunch). flac would be nice, absolutely.

Also yegg, how am I supposed to take you seriously if you don't even know how to restart your ipod without letting the battery die? lol

:hurtbutt facesmug:

Guest Sprigg

internet access can be very useful when say looking up directions, finding out artist information, things like that. It's not all about bulletin boards and facebook.

Excellent point. Hadn't thought about that.

Guest Yegg

Also yegg, how am I supposed to take you seriously if you don't even know how to restart your ipod without letting the battery die? lol

I know how to reset an iPod, smugface. But like I said, it would freeze and not react to ANYTHING including the reset function, so I sold it to some sucker, deleted the abominable iTunes off my computer and got the superior Zen Vision:M. Happy ending =P

i think the problem here is that you need to press the center button and the menu button at the same time, you're supposed to hold it down until the ipod resets. try that next time then tell little old "zen vision" whos got the real functionality, how about it?

ogg is a shitty format compared with aac (which is not an apple codec before you get your panties in a bunch). flac would be nice, absolutely.

ogg is underrated. AAC can go fuck itself, does it even work on any other mp3 player?

1. sound quality

2. ogg/flac/avi support

3. no fucking itunes

See that's the thing.. let's be realistic for as second. What's the reason to have a _portable_ mp3 player. It's to be portable with it, or else get a solid amp. Sound quality is the same on every good MP3 player (all written in this thread). It's a portable player. don't tell me you want incredible sound quality out of it. You walk with them, you hear exterior sounds, you are outside, etc... The need for hi-fidelity in portable audio is over-rated, and every good one on the market offers "great" sound anyway. The quality of the source is 95% of the solution anyway (with good quality headphones), and VBR V1 or V0 is fucking enough for again, I repeat, a _portable_ mp3 player.

So just get an ipod.

Guest maoam

1. sound quality

2. ogg/flac/avi support

3. no fucking itunes

See that's the thing.. let's be realistic for as second. What's the reason to have a _portable_ mp3 player. It's to be portable with it, or else get a solid amp. Sound quality is the same on every good MP3 player (all written in this thread). It's a portable player. don't tell me you want incredible sound quality out of it. You walk with them, you hear exterior sounds, you are outside, etc... The need for hi-fidelity in portable audio is over-rated, and every good one on the market offers "great" sound anyway. The quality of the source is 95% of the solution anyway (with good quality headphones), and VBR V1 or V0 is fucking enough for again, I repeat, a _portable_ mp3 player.

So just get an ipod.

You don't say what the benefits of an ipod over cheaper players are. Are there any?

Guest Sprigg
ogg is underrated. AAC can go fuck itself, does it even work on any other mp3 player?

I think new Sony Walkmans can play it... but I don't know of any other players.

The ipod touch (since hte guy wants 32GB) versus just a plain MP3 player ? Well you can do about a gazillion things more. That's the selling point. Everything else is equal for a portable mp3 player.

A few things I think (though you might have to give me a sec while I spit out Steve Jobs's semen):

1. Why does one need to listen to lossless audio on a portable music player? I (and I imagine others) use PMPs while commuting or at work, out and about, etc. I'm not sure why while doing all these things people need CD-quality music. (I might be incorrectly assuming the kinds of situations in which people use their MP3 players, eh.)

I have other music-listening solutions when I'm at my place and can appreciate audio quality without distractions. Otherwise, does it really need to be CD-quality rather than 320/V0? (sidenote: sound quality? really?)

2. I might have had to reset my iPod touch twice in the past six months (I can understand how you had different experiences with it though, yegg), and as far as iTunes goes, I hear it's hella processor-heavy on PCs, but I never had significant issues using it on a Mac. My only other MP3 player was a 60gb Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra, which was a fucking nightmare both times it died on me.

3. The iTouch is much more than an MP3 player, which makes it totally worth its $200 price. How is it more useless than other MP3 players without all of the additional functionality? (see: internet, app store, playing fucking Doom on my iPod)

Sent from my iPod

1. sound quality

2. ogg/flac/avi support

3. no fucking itunes

So just get an ipod.

You don't say what the benefits of an ipod over cheaper players are. Are there any?

They are all basically the same until you invest in gear past the headphone out, aka headphone amp/headphones, at least where sound quality is concerned. But once you start investing in that, the less portable it becomes, unless you like IEMs. It all comes down to what codecs you need compatibility for, video support, unit size, space, and software. If you don't want to fuss with zune or ipod software, I'm a drag and drop type of guy, then look into sansa, creative, cowon, etc. ... The only reason I'm lookin into the s:flo2 is because I have an amp (pico udac/amp) and headphones (ultrasone 900 pro) with FLAC , not portable at all, but the pairing will show where the unit shines and where other, lesser units don't.

Benefits for ipod are... they are, for the most part, rock solid, intuitive to use, and can come with up to 120GB (depending on model) of flash/hdd space.

For portable, I use a Sansa Fuze 8gb with 16gb micro SD and rockbox

I also have a Cowon iAudio7 16GB, that I thought I lost due to a washing machine accident (fucking thing weighs as much as a toothpick), but I was able to bring it back. With my setup I can hear a difference between it and my sansa, but my sansa only cost me $25 and it's nice to know that if I lose/break it, I'm only out $25.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

1. Why does one need to listen to lossless audio on a portable music player? I (and I imagine others) use PMPs while commuting or at work, out and about, etc. I'm not sure why while doing all these things people need CD-quality music. (I might be incorrectly assuming the kinds of situations in which people use their MP3 players, eh.)

'cause I'm anal retentive lol. actually a lot of the time when I'm listening the the mp3 player it is in a quiet environment.

'cause I'm anal retentive lol. actually a lot of the time when I'm listening the the mp3 player it is in a quiet environment.

VBR V0 dude, you won't see a difference.

Archived