IGNORED

Mindblowing fact

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't understand that equation, but apparently it was the bomb and predicted the existence of anti-electrons and therefor antimatter.

Schrödinger!

I studied these things in (modern) Algebra II but i'm a math major, i'm curious why is he taking u p this courses/topics.

I started studying mathematics at university this year, my aim is to get a PhD

what's your main area of interest?

it's the dirac equation. paul dirac doesn't get enough love, probably one of the most brilliant physicists of the 20th century.

sorry for getting the two mixed, I know very little about quantum mechanics

I studied these things in (modern) Algebra II but i'm a math major, i'm curious why is he taking u p this courses/topics.

set theory and mathematical logic, but I'm still very undecided about what to choose next year

yours?

it's the dirac equation. paul dirac doesn't get enough love, probably one of the most brilliant physicists of the 20th century.

sorry for getting the two mixed, I know very little about quantum mechanics

set theory and mathematical logic, but I'm still very undecided about what to choose next year

yours?

I like analysis and probability, thinking about moving more into applied mathematics so maybe one day I can get a job outside the academy cocoon.

I like analysis and probability, thinking about moving more into applied mathematics so maybe one day I can get a job outside the academy cocoon.

do you teach currently?

Category theory is where it's at y'all. You get to draw all kinds of shiny diagrams an' shit.

how does one approach category theory?

do you teach currently?

I've been teaching as T.A. for the past few years, I might get my own course this semester.

how does one approach category theory?

Category theory is used to study mathematical structures and the relationships between them. So it helps to be familiar with different kinds of structures, so you already know of some similarilities between structures, for example: bijections on sets are the same kind of functions as isomorphisms on groups. Category theory deals with this kind of similarities. It can get awfully abstract, but that's why it's fun.

Category theory has some nice applications in computer science (functional programming borrows a lot of concepts from category theory), so that's why I got interested in it in the first place. And now I'm learning some category theory because I'm studying algebraic topology. I don't know anything about module theory though.

can you elaborate on that? i find it hard to imagine how things from one of the most abstract areas of mathematics can have any sort of practical application.

modules btw are kind of a generalization of a linear space. its theory studies morphism between modules and so on... lots of diagram chasing. i hate it.

can you elaborate on that? i find it hard to imagine how things from one of the most abstract areas of mathematics can have any sort of practical application.

It makes sense to use the language of category theory to reason about pure functional programs. In fact, the functional programming language Haskell succesfully uses a construction from category theory, called monads, to encapsulate computations that do have side effects in a more or less pure manner. Anamorphisms, catamorphisms, intial algebras are also important concepts in functional programming: they are used to reason about folds, which are way to walk through a data structure (e.g. loop through a list) and perform some calculations on the data.

Archived