IGNORED

JIm Morrison fortells the future of music...

Guest enxyme

Guest disparaissant

THIS THREAD IS CLOTHES BECAUSE I LIKE FISH

also the doors are bad poetry set to worse music.

doesn't mean jim morrison was wrong, just sayin.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

what he deserves credit for is picking that answer out of all the other drivel he could have said (or quoted).

and he sure spouted a lot of drivel

i thought it was a good answer. why was it drivel

I suppose all you cunts hate Pink Floyd too.

only post-animals

wahhhh?

after animals it was mostly shit

That would be why he hates pink floyd only post-animals ;)

Guest disparaissant

i also can't stand led zeppelin!

pre-animals pink floyd is aight. animals is a great album.

Guest disparaissant

oh and since this thread is apparently now about shitting on musical sacred cows:

prog rock in general is awful. yes has like one good album and alan parsons was a brilliant engineer but the rest of it is terrible.

i can't fucking stand tool and think it's overwrought pseudo-intellectual garbage.

burial does not impress me at all.

i can't stand nine inch nails. i don't think it's bad music, it just grates on me.

oh and since this thread is apparently now about shitting on musical sacred cows:

prog rock in general is awful. yes has like one good album and alan parsons was a brilliant engineer but the rest of it is terrible.

i can't fucking stand tool and think it's overwrought pseudo-intellectual garbage.

burial does not impress me at all.

i can't stand nine inch nails. i don't think it's bad music, it just grates on me.

i can get behind this mostly

fuck burial

Guest disparaissant

garbage, sucks? man... wtf

does the internet only work in extremes?

no, i honestly think it's terrible. it's all of the worst aspects of pink floyd crammed into an overly long and incredibly boring double album with a hilariously bad companion film that would have ended up on mst3k if it weren't for the fact that it's pink floyd.

now excuse me while i go listen to some lady gaga.

i also can't stand led zeppelin!

pre-animals pink floyd is aight. animals is a great album.

ah come on now, later led zeppelin is an acquired taste, and later later zep is shite (looking at you, in through the out door... despite your amusing title).

but the first five albums are brilliant (especially the III-IV-Houses of the holy sequence - kinda less focused on inventing heavy metal, with crazy folk and arabic and jazz and what have you. and therefore even better than the first two. three almost flawless albums in a row is a hell of a run)

the wall is great :shrug:

the wall is the musical equivalent of being locked in a small room with roger waters. roger gets increasingly drunk on whiskey, and roger is an angry and bitter drunk who won't shut up about his childhood or his millions of $$$ bawwwwww. after two hours or so, he passes out. thank christ. what's really annoying to me is the entire of the final cut and rog's solo 'the pros and cons of hitchiking' just recycle the wall's chord progressions again and again.

Guest enxyme

This is the worst thread ever

This thread has regressed into our collective childhood hate for classic rock... I love it :pedobear:

Guest enxyme

I've always disliked The Doors and especially Jim Morrison because he is the ultimate example of what Hunter S. Thompson warned about--what's at the end of the Tunnel of Enlightenment? Jack shit! Plus, his poetry sucked and that whole Lizard King thing or whatever and he's just everything I'm not about. I liked him when he really did decide to quit everything, grow a beard and get fat. I think he wanted to do the family thing but wound up shittin' it in the bathtub, which was a shame I guess.

However, I nearly got chills up my spine when he basically foretold House Music, Detroit techno and then Aphex Twin at least 20 (30?) years in advance. It's not as if the ideas were totally novel. He knew Kraftwerk at that point. Probably knew about Stockhausen and musique concrete and the rapid development of electronics as instruments thanks to Bob Moog and had even watched Ray Manzarek push some limits with the organ and likely some Moogs himself. But, tracing American music back to the marriage of slave tradition and Victorian imports and going all the way to future Minesweeper performances--that was pretty fucking insightful.

It also happened to be my informative speech, wanna see it? The "Saturn" part was when I showed my friend Mark "Quaristice" back in 2008 and he tricked me by saying, very geniuinely: "this is really awesome music". I was seriously taken aback and he paused just long enough to say "IF I LIVED ON SATURN!!" and I used that story as an attention-getter and talk about why America loves to hate techno. The end is me saying that "I hope you feel less like you're on Saturn and more like you're part of a collective here on Earth"--yeah, it's cheeseball but this stupid class forces you to make really dumbass speeches and the end of July (last day) really can't come fast enough. But, I basically traced the same path Morrison did in the video because that's how it really came to pass (just make sure all the media and presentation is in one folder and you have Powerpoint and then click the "Presentation" Power Point:

The History Of Acid House

"the crowd went wild" as they say, especially my teacher but I feel kinda bad because I not only already have a BA but I did a year in graduate school so presentations are like falling off a log for me. But my whole class is either 18 year olds fresh off the boat (there's even 2 16 year old girls! :pedobear::shuriken::emotawesomepm9: ) or old women who were trimmed from their jobs of a billion years in the Buttfuck of 2008 and are using junior college to do something else. So...I'm pretty much burying them. I nearly spat in my nursing school's face when they said I had to take this class, but what the fuck do you do? Education is the worst fucking game to play; I can't wait until it's over with now. And I used to love school! :facepalm:

Exactly... He has some insight... Would be interesting to see what other musicians of the day were thinking along these lines...

Now why would you like that fact that Jim Morrison lost his will... And became fat? The beard is great... Every man should have a beard... But why fat? Let's stay positive...

well, in my estimation, fat with beard = more like I guy I'd want to hang out with than a lean, shirtless, writhing Lizard King soaked in LSD and methedrine and making no fucking sense :lol: The weight gain and the beard and the hair, in my opinion, was Jim foregoing the rabbit hole that H.S. Thompson had portended and being more like our dads. Yeah, the fat and the booze are probably what took him but, in a way, he planned it that way.

I mean, since we're talking prophesy, his beard and weight gain were not a sign of lost will. He said he was gonna do that--make an "average joe" transformation--and he did and it alienated everybody around him. Like someone else pointed out, Robby Krieger was either playing his "Joe Cool" hand or genuinely nervous of what Jim might say next...prolly a little of both.

Well that's interesting if he planned it that way... I wonder what his precise intentions were... I didn't know that...

I like the idea of using your life as a piece of performance art at times ... But ultimately you have to distinguishe between the two...

We shouldn't destroy ourselves to make a point... Theirs far healthier ways to show people the truth... Be what we need to become Jim... Be what we need to become...

Archived