IGNORED

Nurse With Wound

splesh

Their discography looks pretty extensive. For those uninitiated, where is a good place to start?

i think the best starting point for an uninitiated to NWW electronic music fan is 'second pirate session'

41RTQQZQ8VL.jpg

you can preview most of it here - http://www.amazon.com/Second-Pirate-Session-Nurse-Wound/dp/B0000254SN

• 1 year later...

I also like their stuff (they were a great influence on me when I started to make music) but the last releases… oh well. Really disappointing. The Salt LP on dirter was the weakest I heard from them. Nearly 50 minutes of filtered waves crashing on the shore with some nice but rather unspectacular buzzing under it. I paid a lot for the Flawed Existence box which is really worth the money but the last records (don't get me on with Rupture which is their last CD) aren't any spectacular like their first.

I hope dirter is putting out the first albums from NWW. Once they started with Chance Meeting… they stopped and released the new stuff only.

I will see Steve at Schiphorst in germany this year and will ask him if there is a way to get the next reissues as well on vinyl.

Guest Xenblake

Though I've been delving in and out of this band for a couple of years and still somewhat a newcomer to this very interesting band I'm kind of getting a grasp on them so here is a personal list of songs which I'm sure will tickle the fancy any newcomer and suitably introduce the mood of NWW without it all completely descending into farmyard noises :)

cooloorta moon

creakiness

the funktion of the hairy egg

swamp rat

the bottom feeder

she and me fall together like free death (phosphorous mix)

ketamineaphonia

lea tantaaria

juice head crazy lady

lonely poisenous mushroom

elderly man river

sea armchair

a piece of the sky is missing

yagga blues

two shaves and a shine

Salt Marie Celeste

tracks from Rat Tapes:

There you go, enjoy NWW.

For me the only way to get into them is listening to Merzbild Schwet and Homotopy To Marie.

They changed their style very often the last years from the slightly dadaesque ragtime jazz to some minimalistic sceneries with sparse acoustics.

To start you should get the earlier stuff and compare it to their new.

NWW is not easy to grasp. They have made so many appearances over time that you can not pick up several tracks to get an image of them.

Among the early NWW LPs, is there one that's more accessible (i.e. distinct melody and not an overdose of ear-screeching atonal exercises) than the others?

• 3 years later...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ta for those AWW, muchos appreciados

Nurse is a brilliant innovative act, never get bored of Stephen Stapleton's ability to conjure sounds that defy description or technical explanation, although its fun guessing. Yes there've been a few misses lately, but there arent many music makers with such an extensive catalog who've maintained such high quality control standards. You've still gotta pick thru things, but one of the few living artists where the mantra "buy everything" is appropriate. The bloke is an encyclopedia of Krautrock too, some rrrrockin interviews out there about his times roadying for groups like Cluster etc. A national treasure.

Among the early NWW LPs, is there one that's more accessible (i.e. distinct melody and not an overdose of ear-screeching atonal exercises) than the others?

Then you might start with Soliloquy For Lilith. It's their best ambient album to this date.
Afterward I highly recommend Rock 'n Roll Station.

"word" re- Soliloquy For Lilith - created by looping pedals into pedals into pedals and recording the reverb changes when his hands got close enough to the instruments to change the sounds. SS says its his own fave Nurse record. "The Part Of Me Which Is That Part In You Is Now Dead" off The Surveillance Lounge is proper out-there. Most of my faves have been covered previously above, but his work with Andrew Liles is a rich vein of output and def worth spending a few sheckles on.

• 3 years later...

I am very new to NWW, their discography is vast.

I am currently listening to "Automating Volume One" and it starts out much more rhythmic / percussive that I was expecting, before delving into weird ambient spoken word and feedback stuff.  Lovely!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived