IGNORED

Why dont you guys set up paypal for donations to your music?

Guest Ian

I encourage everyone to set up Bandcamp accounts with their music and set the price to a $0 minimum as an alternative to just setting up a Paypal donations button. This way the artist still gets money, but the person donating gets something in return, it feels more natural & rewarding to have it all take place in one swift motion. I always buy music from artists I like if I see they have stuff on Bandcamp because I know they get the money, not some dodgy label that'll end up giving them 10% of it or something.

Plus, this way, the person making the donation can get some nicely tagged hi-fi audio with artwork and stuff. Everybody wins.

Guest chunky

do it! i put up a paypal link on my youtube and i get loads of random cash 'supplements' hehe :D though nothing for the last few months :/

wouldnt want to bug people about it though or beg too much... just one link/small message is enough...

I encourage everyone to set up Bandcamp accounts with their music and set the price to a $0 minimum as an alternative to just setting up a Paypal donations button. This way the artist still gets money, but the person donating gets something in return, it feels more natural & rewarding to have it all take place in one swift motion. I always buy music from artists I like if I see they have stuff on Bandcamp because I know they get the money, not some dodgy label that'll end up giving them 10% of it or something.

Plus, this way, the person making the donation can get some nicely tagged hi-fi audio with artwork and stuff. Everybody wins.

this is good advice. bandcamp is a great site.

what i really like is when someone puts a paypal donate button next to your free music without your permission and it doesn't even go to you. real classy.

my point is: men have paid for art for almost as long as they have existed, only today we see that having worse results. i think it's more of a question of mentality than is a question of money.

word, i agree. my attitude is basically just a reaction to the times.

bandcamp is awesome.

my point is: men have paid for art for almost as long as they have existed, only today we see that having worse results. i think it's more of a question of mentality than is a question of money.

word, i agree. my attitude is basically just a reaction to the times.

bandcamp is awesome.

Hasn't bandcamp started charging now, and take 15% off every transaction? Does anyone have any experience with Topspin? http://www.topspinmedia.com/

Guest placidburp

I managed to get a couple of sales before they started taking a percentage. What with the paypal charges too its going to be pointless at this rate.

i does it for free

Ya hear! Mesh does it for free :crazy:

I managed to get a couple of sales before they started taking a percentage. What with the paypal charges too its going to be pointless at this rate.

At least you know there are people that are willing to pay for your music, thats a big complement! Which reminds me, I was supposed to buy it, what a bargin.

EDIT:Bought, in FLAC for I want to experience all your frequencies Mike :spiteful:

Shame that bandcamp charging now... but in the end i'd imagine server bandwidth and security isn't free so i guess it was kind of inevitable when traffic increased.

Each to their own of course on getting paid for their music, but money is good, it gives credit in exchange for service and product. In the end people pay for things that increase their happiness, enjoyment and life benefits, those that are the cause of such a service deserve credit (although i guess that's just my opinion). Money is just a value exchanger.

Well, I do live in a capitalist society and I do have to pay money to live. I want to do nothing but make art and not have to waste time on meaningless endeavors that I'd only do for the purpose of making money. The only way to do that is to make art AND somehow make the money required to live from that art. In an ideal society I'd just trade my art for whatever else I need (ie. I provide some music for these people over here, they in turn provide me with a meal/place to stay for the night). Society should be set up so that everyone can do whatever it is that they are most capable at/most fulfilled by as much as possible for the short time that they're here. But of course it isn't like that and probably never will be. So yeah, money in exchange for art makes sense considering the way our society is currently set up for better or worse. That said, if I set up a pay pal button beside whatever mp3s I post online the tiny amount of money from that would be completely insignificant at this point. When it becomes apparent that my goal of being able to live off the creation of my own art is a lost battle, I will give it all away for free. Right now I just feel it's important to be making it, and if no one else but me and a few friends hear it that's okay.

Guest Greg Reason

I'm going to charge for my stuff with Ektoise. I feel comfortable with that because

a) I'm going to be setting it for what I consider to be a reasonable price

b) It'll be available in 24bit FLAC as well as lower fidelity formats and

c) people will pirate it immediately anyway so realistically, folk will still have the free option but can pay if they choose to

I've been working hard at music for fourteen years now so I do feel like I'm at the point where I have something worth putting a pricetag on. I understand I'm not going to be making a fortune and I have a comfortable day job so I won't be trying to leech the cash. But if people care to pay I will be grateful!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

if you value your music at $0 then that is what you'll get

if you value your music at $5 then your mom might buy a copy

Archived