IGNORED

Does a girlfriend / wife hinder your creative output?

o00o

Guest Adjective

yes, a partner can be a wrench in my gears, but i think it's just a process of learning to convert whatever feelings are available to you into something worthwhile. get creative with your outlets. with some media i work better letting emotions do the steering, and others i let a story or character do the driving. find a medium that best suits your mood, instead of always being a painter go craft a wicked wicker basket, maybe you never had the emotions before that could help you excel at basket making. or, somewhat related to that, use that lull in inspiration for periods of learning and study about your craft, or another.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

only in the way that its hard to sit alone working on music/drawing when we could be doing something together. getting better at this though

Nah, one of my favourite tracks was written when I was with my last girlfriend. She actually encouraged my output, cuz the whole music making process intrigued her, and she actually liked electronic music.

Now, when we broke up, that fucked with my output and I didn't write a damned thing for a month.

back in the day before the wife and i had kids, she was pretty good at leaving me be whenever i was designing or making music.

me on the other hand... she'd be painting or working on some designing and i'd walk up with hard on and say "SUP!"

I only write (good) stuff and music and poetry and shit when I'm in love with a girl (whether she's my gf or not) because I basically want to show her my "talents".

[/psychology]

It really depends what you're inspired by, and how stifling your gf/wife is. On the one hand there have been times when the attention I've paid to my music has been a strain on the relationship for her, and I've divided my time accordingly, but on the other hand there's a substantial amount of my creative output that is directly inspired by her and would not exist without her in my life. And then on top of that maybe a third of my electronic tracks have utilized her voice in some way. So in my case, most definitely no. Granted I have no idea what I'd be producing were I single. It helps that she also has artistic aspirations with photography/film. We'll likely be doing some audio-visual projects together in the future.

Archived