IGNORED

Brazilian Music

J3FF3R00

Azymuth had their own section among a big slab of tunes in my old man's record collection, this was a sunday summer favourite:

an olde acid house anthem in certain quarters (of all contexts) @ day-break many moons ago:

another Dad vinyl favourite, sublime groove from master Hermeto Pascoal feeling the rapture:

certain artists from brazil have created my all time favorite music.

In the 'post-bossa nova' era there was this explosion of creativity from all corners, and it all got lumped into "Música popular brasileira" (MPB). The music was sometimes referred to as 'university music' and as an analogy I'd liken it to a whole scene of Donald Fagens all doing radically diferent things—it really wasn't ever a coherent genre, it was a scene were unique voices and singular talents rose ( and composed and produced and performed some of the very best music (IMO) ever. I could gush eternally about the level of creativity and innovation achieved by some of these artists eternally.

some names already mentioned:

Milton Nascimento: he and his musical colleagues such as Lo Borges and Toninho Horta were their own type of musical movement, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clube_da_Esquina). here is a clip that I feel portrays the raw talent and brilliance of these musicians:

mind you, Wayne Shorter did a collab album with M. Nascimento.

(those chords...those harmonies...the sensitivity...the subtleness...live...it astounds me)

check out this unbelievably complex and psychedelic and unbelievable composition, 'milagre dos peixes':

joao bosco: 

joyce moreno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4RYrZ7f58

undoubtably my favorite era of musicians.

Archived