IGNORED

I fucking hate dogs.

wahrk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sup? :cool: Enter a new display name

Thanks for the comments everyone... She is half German Shepard, half Alaskan Malamute and god damn precious. She doesn't bark, unless I play with her paws and enjoys stealing loafs of white bread when no one is looking. Wheat, whole grain, sourdough are never touched and she hides the evidence in a hole in the backyard that she thinks I'm not on to yet.

Eya, my best friend :D

CONVAR28.jpg

I 'member a post, or thread rather, a few months back that involved a dog wearing glasses one brave member tried to meme.... was a youtube clip, I reckon.

*Uses WATMM search*

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

CHARLY HATES OP

charly1.jpg

(If anyone is curious his daddy was a Dachshund and his mom was a Chinese Crested. Don't ask me how that worked out. He's 90% hairless so he needs a sweater in the winter, isn't loud, destroys Nylabones despite having like 5 teeth and reminds everyone of either Falkor from Neverending Story or Max, the Grinch's dog from How The Grinch Stole Xmas.)

Guest fiznuthian

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/11/23/144228/Oxford-Scientists-Say-Dogs-Are-Smarter-Than-Cats

also, some interesting comments about dogs:

Dogs were the first species to be domesticated by man. There is reason to believe domestication of the dog is as important as the invention of tool making and taming the fire, invention of language in the (pre)history of Homo sapiens.

Anatomically modern human beings appeared on the scene 250,000 years ago. But their skulls were the "robust" type. But starting from 75,000 years ago, it started becoming "gracile" or thinner and less robust. It is an indication of reduction of violence and warfare among the various bands of hunter gatherers. Humans were developing the social skills to get along with extended families. But still they were extremely hostile to strangers. All the remnant hunter gatherer societies are marked by incessant warfare with their neighbors and extreme hostility. The Yamamono, the Fore, the Andamanese, the Koi-san all fight all the time and they fight to kill. With ambush imminent at any time and raids being very common, they could not develop sedentism, living in one place. They have to be constantly on the move.

But 25,000 years ago in central Asia, near Mongolia, Man finally found a night watchman. The dogs. They got the sentry duty. Once the dogs developed a symbiotic relationship with humans, we were able to settle down and live in one place. That is how we observed the connection between dropped seeds and the plants growing out of it. Just 15000 years later we had domesticated the einkorn wheat in the Fertile Crescent. Dog is the species that co-evolved with humans, and they are probably the only species that can follow the eye-movement of human beings and pointing by index finger by human beings and "understand" they need to look there. Compared to their wolf ancestors, dogs are orders of magnitude more sociable. Shows how much they have evolved in such a short period of 25000 years.

In short, dogs made man, what he is today.

Just to add my little bit - I regularly observed my dog (a miniature poodle, now passed on - I acquired him by chance, and came to appreciate poodles - they're good dogs!) to get an idea of what his cognitive abilities were. Among other things, I realized one ability that we tend to take for granted. When out walking on a leash (usually one of those extending leashes), he was very good about always going between me and obstacles such as trees. In fact when heading on his own path, he would realize he was about to go on the wrong side of a tree or post, and backtrack to where he could go between, keeping the leash from wrapping around the object. He did not do this when he was off the leash.

This behavior requires some interesting cognitive ability - he had to understand and act on the concept of 'betweenness', in addition to understanding the difference between the leashed state and the unleashed state.

I would like to see more research done on related subjects of spatial reasoning as well as relational reasoning. I think that evaluating the ability to hold and act on such abstract concepts could give us a valuable insight into the intelligence of critters as well as ourselves. We already know that dogs have picked up some very good relational reasoning - they're better at reading our social cues than we are. (Although I have to say some dogs are not so gifted - my daughter's dog is pretty clueless, but he's young so we'll see.)

anyone who has seen a behaviorally challenged pitbull sense a visitor's fear when they're hiding it well should already know this can be true. abused pitbulls often lash out at people because they see body language suggesting distrust of them, and they can see it even when the person feels like they're not showing it. i lived with someone who bought an abused pitbull from the pound and it attacked many of his friends. most of them would report that deep inside they had a slight distrust in dogs, but weren't really afraid of them. that dog knew every time, no exceptions. dog lovers though, she couldn't get enough of them. nothing but affection.

oh and dogs left outside chained up or in a small pen with no companion or care really gets me steaming pissed.

you know, the ones that bark and howl all night at anything. the only thing they interact with is their dumbfuck owner

putting food in their bowl and petting their head once or twice a day.

My friend's parents got some kind of massive dog. Still a puppy, but on her hind legs she's probably seven feet tall. Huge animal. They keep her in a cage that's maybe 4x3x4, tiny. The dog barely has room to turn around or lay down. They keep her locked up all day, sometimes for so long that she has to shit and piss in there, and then has no choice but to lay in it. It's quite sad, really. Every time I go over there, I just wanna set the thing free, but it has nowhere to go if I do that.

Guest lullezucht

Our current dog is pretty amazing.

post-1600-0-03035800-1290584258_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-94294900-1290584243_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-50797700-1290584233_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-46264600-1290584222_thumb.jpg

Built like a tank.

He got hit by a car when he was a few years younger and only suffered some bruising.

Guest fiznuthian

oh and dogs left outside chained up or in a small pen with no companion or care really gets me steaming pissed.

you know, the ones that bark and howl all night at anything. the only thing they interact with is their dumbfuck owner

My friend's parents got some kind of massive dog. Still a puppy, but on her hind legs she's probably seven feet tall. Huge animal. They keep her in a cage that's maybe 4x3x4, tiny. The dog barely has room to turn around or lay down. They keep her locked up all day, sometimes for so long that she has to shit and piss in there, and then has no choice but to lay in it. It's quite sad, really. Every time I go over there, I just wanna set the thing free, but it has nowhere to go if I do that.

that is so fucked up. the fact that it's a large dog is even worse,

they NEED the exercise or they can develop a plethora of problems.

that is so fucked up. the fact that it's a large dog is even worse,

they NEED the exercise or they can develop a plethora of problems.

Very true, we have an Italian Mastiff at our house, and he has TONS of energy. You can't really tell his size in the pic, but he's over 6ft tall on his back legs and weighs about 90-100lbs, AND he's not even a year old yet...

BAk46.jpg

He's destroyed a couple couches (not mine luckily) It's my housemates dog, so I have to put up with him, but he's pretty good. My roommate just doesn't have enough structure or train him properly. He pretty much just puts him and his English Bulldog outside in the back yard for most of the day. My dog isn't perfect either, but no one is :wink:

DOGS!

One of my dogs, Cally got put to sleep today. A bit out of the blue really she was going to get a couple of teeth removed but we had a suspicion something else might be up. It's fucking shit. Our dogs have quite a good life though at least.

If you live in the U.S. you can report this, as it is cruel and illegal in most states. If they can't provide any better of a home for the dog then they need to give it up.

Archived