IGNORED

Mp3s last forever

MadnessR

Guest disparaissant

i still have a whole spindle of burned dvds with ~120 gigs of music from my last music hard drive.

thing is, the drive died, and i just couldn't be arsed to pull shit off the dvds. it just takes forever.

instead i started downloading new stuff and redownloaded old albums when i REALLY felt like listening to them. it's been incredibly refreshing, i'm purposefully not backing up this time, if it dies, i'll just start over again. it's cathartic.

as for tagging, i do what futuregirlfriend does. discogs plugin + foobar file operations shit. what.cd isn't the be all end all of tagging, i've had plenty of bad tags from what, and very often no album art. discogs plugin takes care of that, generally.

Speaking of FLACs, are they really that superior to regular mp3s? And is it possible to play them on Itunes or on my ipod?

Nice trolling.

Otherwise, see every other thread in watmm ever. 90% of thread end up in bit rate discussion(and bit depth).

at what point can human ears not perceive anything better? can our ability really reach lossless quality frequencies, or do we hit our limit sometime before that? honest question. i remember getting into a similar discussion once about frames per second with video games, and that at one point it makes no difference.

That's what I'm thinking.. is it necessary to deplete my HDD with FLACs rather than mp3s?

That's complete bullshit. Or are you talking about the innevitable lifetime of data storage? None last forever, that's why there's something called BACKUP. Hence, this thread.

p.s.: Always remember to backup your stuff and have it in a *different* physical space than your main files. You never know what can happen (fire, flood, etc...). Put your backup at work, at your friend's or parent's house and always swap it from time to time.

Guest Calx Sherbet

That's complete bullshit. Or are you talking about the innevitable lifetime of data storage? None last forever, that's why there's something called BACKUP. Hence, this thread.

i always had a feeling that it was the hardware degrading, not the file

p.s.: Always remember to backup your stuff and have it in a *different* physical space than your main files. You never know what can happen (fire, flood, etc...). Put your backup at work, at your friend's or parent's house and always swap it from time to time.

very smart idea

I buy releases when possible, so I generally have the physical copy for anything I listen to in my library. Then I back it up in FLAC to an external hard drive, and to DVDs, which I keep at a different physical location (work) than the other things (home). I know it's kind of obsessive, not to mention time consuming, but I'd be very sad to lose everything.

Lossless is the way to go, almost my entire library is lossless. It's the year 2010, bros.

I could probably 50/50 an a/b test b/w lossless and lossy, but why even bother thinking about it with drive space so cheap? I mean who wants to rip their CDs more than once anyway?

But yeah it's Apple Lossless and saved to an external drive. Apple Lossless on my iPods sounds GREAT. I am very happy with the sound quality, where at 320 I was always worried about it. That's maybe bullshit, but I feel better.

Only about half my collection is ripped and I still feel like I am drowning in stuff to listen to (a good thing). I tend to do all the tagging, artworking by hand. I got into the habit recently of, if I can't find a good-sized jpg of the art that is a square res, I just find some other square picture on the web that feels nice and evocative and throw that on there. It's kinda fun, my iTunes library is like a little slideshow now.

Guest disparaissant

Lossless is the way to go, almost my entire library is lossless. It's the year 2010, bros.

I could probably 50/50 an a/b test b/w lossless and lossy, but why even bother thinking about it with drive space so cheap? I mean who wants to rip their CDs more than once anyway?

But yeah it's Apple Lossless and saved to an external drive. Apple Lossless on my iPods sounds GREAT. I am very happy with the sound quality, where at 320 I was always worried about it. That's maybe bullshit, but I feel better.

Only about half my collection is ripped and I still feel like I am drowning in stuff to listen to (a good thing). I tend to do all the tagging, artworking by hand. I got into the habit recently of, if I can't find a good-sized jpg of the art that is a square res, I just find some other square picture on the web that feels nice and evocative and throw that on there. It's kinda fun, my iTunes library is like a little slideshow now.

i'm down with this, but not ALAC. not that it matters, lossless is lossless.

lossless is awesome because if you burn it you pretty much have a 1:1 of the original CD. and like you said, space is cheap, so why not?

Everything on my laptop goes back to my external. One of these days I'll transfer the all that I have to my desktop, but right now it only has about a twelfth of all my stuff on it. Most of my library is in v0, 320, or .WAV. I need to fix my iTunes .aiff's so they can transfer to other players and systems.

My shit is incredibly organized and I've put hours into keeping it as such.

Archived