• 1 week
    • 1 month (you know who you are)
  6. 6. How Bad Do You Let It Get?

• It's Hermetic
    • I keep it clean
    • I clean up the messes
    • I clean up the messes, eventually
    • If I can see the counter, it's a good day

I wash dishes after every meal and when I get home from work (my gf inevitably leaves in a hurry in the mornings and leaves her breakfast dishes in the sink). I tend to wipe everything down after meals as well, and do a thorough cleaning of the entire kitchen on the weekend.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

my parents would do the dishes + put on the dishwasher before going to bed, then put away the washed dishes in the morning. it's a solid kitchen policy, i feel. i tried it this way, but i tended to be too lazy/tired/intoxicated to do that shit before going to bed. i've found the prime dishwashing time for me is about 4-6pm, when i knock off work for the day. i've been sitting at keyboards and am eager to do something other than sit still.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I wash as I go very well (used to work in a kitchen as Chen said) but I often struggle to have the motivation to do the plates and cutlery afterwards. We tend to have a policy of 'if you cook someone else washes up' in my house but since I normally do my own washing up during cooking it doesn't work out that well for me.

I'm fairly paranoid about raw meat in the kitchen so I insist on washing anything that has been in contact with raw meat instantly in separate water. That's also why I like doing my own washing up, because if I see a chopping board that someone else has left I don't know whether I need to get thorough with it or if it just had a slice of bread on it and needs a rinse.

Also my kitchen now is so tiny it is unusable within a day if people don't wash up, I can't take a picture of it because a camera probably won't fit in there.

Guest AcrossCanyons

*ponders thread as opportunity to post pics of newly remodeled kitchen*

Go for it - I like seeing peoples kitchens because everybody's kitchen is always different. Even identical builds are different because people place things differently (appliances and things in different cupboards etc). Quite interesting imo.

In this house we have a dishwasher, which is usually put on most nights unless we make a meal that doesn't use many dishes and empty it some time the next day. We wash trays/some pots and stuff that don't get washed too well in the dishwasher. Our dishwasher isn't that great tho so a lot of dishes are done by hand.

Piles of cluttered dishes are more intimidating to clean up than say one plate and a fork. Ideally I like to clean up after every meal but it doesn't always happen. My rule is I can't start a meal when there's still stuff to clean up from the last one. It's become habit now and either way it only takes a few seconds. Recycling and trash are next to the washer so I only have to go to one area to clean up.

If my kitchen or sink/dishwasher area smells like mold or nasty dishes it makes me lose my appetite.

seriously, read the rules

and whats up with the no avatar?

I disable avatars on forums. No reason to see them.

all of those pics of yr dirty ass kitchens are nothin compared to my kitchen when I lived with the 2 filthiest roommates known to man.

They NEVER did the dishes. It was literally to the point where they would buy new ones rather than wash them. The dirty dishes were stacked so high on the counters and in the in the sink that they were nearly touching the cupboard.

Keep in mind, this was in a shitty apartment in a not so good area of Brooklyn, so we had mice, rats and SEVERAL (not joking, at least 8 to 10) different species of roaches/bugs living (thriving actually) in and around the sink. The dishes were never even lightly rinsed so there was mold growing all over them. It smelled really bad.

I would just use my own bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon and cup. It was totally their thing.

It go so bad that at one point, I had to step in, so I boiled a huge, lobster-sized pot of water and poured it over the sink. A thick layer of mold and dead bugs rose to the surface. The live bugs scattered away in droves. Easily one of the worst moments of my life.

Since then, naturally, I've been a bit of a stickler about kitchen cleanliness. My wife is a bit absent minded about leaving dirty dishes out, so I get on her case a bit, but I'm not unreasonable. When she does it, it's actually kinda funny.

You just can't fuck around with that shit in New York City.

:cerious:

this is my kitchen after my two indian housemates have had some sort of epic social-cooking gathering thing

this makes me itch and its probably not even that bad compared to some, i like clean shit LOCKED DOWN

OCD

post-108-0-40304300-1291896808_thumb.jpg

Guest hahathhat

that is a strange sink. i am intrigued by that mini-sink on the right. it is like a midget prostitute -- i don't particularly want to have one, but it's still interesting to gawk at.

that is a strange sink. i am intrigued by that mini-sink on the right. it is like a midget prostitute -- i don't particularly want to have one, but it's still interesting to gawk at.

shhhh... it's because he lives in england.. :trashbear:

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

if there is a spoon clean. and a mug or 2. and a saucepan then we're ok to leave it one more day.

lately i've buying extra spoons and mugs. saucepans are so big its impossible to have more than 5

I wash as I go very well (used to work in a kitchen as Chen said) but I often struggle to have the motivation to do the plates and cutlery afterwards. We tend to have a policy of 'if you cook someone else washes up' in my house but since I normally do my own washing up during cooking it doesn't work out that well for me.

I'm fairly paranoid about raw meat in the kitchen so I insist on washing anything that has been in contact with raw meat instantly in separate water. That's also why I like doing my own washing up, because if I see a chopping board that someone else has left I don't know whether I need to get thorough with it or if it just had a slice of bread on it and needs a rinse.

Also my kitchen now is so tiny it is unusable within a day if people don't wash up, I can't take a picture of it because a camera probably won't fit in there.

You sound like you live in my house. lol

I'm fairly paranoid with the raw meat as well, like if I handle raw ground beef/pork, or raw chicken it's straight to the sink. steaks I'm a little less fussy over, as in I'll touch a steak and then something else.

New kitchen pics are forthcoming, I promise - I want to finish the cornice and crown moulding around the room and cabinets before taking pics.

One nice thing about a new kitchen is (so far) we're really all very anal about keeping it pristine and clean, which as a clean freak myself, I enjoy immensely.

New kitchen pics are forthcoming, I promise - I want to finish the cornice and crown moulding around the room and cabinets before taking pics.

One nice thing about a new kitchen is (so far) we're really all very anal about keeping it pristine and clean, which as a clean freak myself, I enjoy immensely.

Two things stand out to me about this post.

The bold bit and the fact that Joyrex can't make a post without referring to the ass in some way. lol

all of those pics of yr dirty ass kitchens are nothin compared to my kitchen when I lived with the 2 filthiest roommates known to man.

They NEVER did the dishes. It was literally to the point where they would buy new ones rather than wash them. The dirty dishes were stacked so high on the counters and in the in the sink that they were nearly touching the cupboard.

Keep in mind, this was in a shitty apartment in a not so good area of Brooklyn, so we had mice, rats and SEVERAL (not joking, at least 8 to 10) different species of roaches/bugs living (thriving actually) in and around the sink. The dishes were never even lightly rinsed so there was mold growing all over them. It smelled really bad.

I would just use my own bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon and cup. It was totally their thing.

It go so bad that at one point, I had to step in, so I boiled a huge, lobster-sized pot of water and poured it over the sink. A thick layer of mold and dead bugs rose to the surface. The live bugs scattered away in droves. Easily one of the worst moments of my life.

Since then, naturally, I've been a bit of a stickler about kitchen cleanliness. My wife is a bit absent minded about leaving dirty dishes out, so I get on her case a bit, but I'm not unreasonable. When she does it, it's actually kinda funny.

You just can't fuck around with that shit in New York City.

:cerious:

Actually made me feel a little sick. Your old kitchen from this point forth should be referred to as "the vomitorium"

• 1 month later...

I wash dishes after every meal and when I get home from work (my gf inevitably leaves in a hurry in the mornings and leaves her breakfast dishes in the sink). I tend to wipe everything down after meals as well, and do a thorough cleaning of the entire kitchen on the weekend.

people that leave dirty dishes in the sink need to be sent to a re-education camp. There's obviously something wrong with their mind. You can imagine their brains sub routine, that caused them to continue with this action to go "The sink is where dishes get washed so therefore is the next area that dishes that are now dirty must go." ie: Clean dishes cupboard/dirty dishes sink.

The problem with this is that they don't then take the next step and actually wash the dishes. This is because they would rather be doing something else, but aren't self aware enough to alter their flawed sink placing behaviour. Perhaps cause in some small way to instead place the dishes on the counter would be admitting to themselves that they are never going to wash the dishes anyway. So placing the dishes in the sink also absolves these individuals of having to feel any guilt.

Sooo, a re-education camp is needed for these clearly broken machines.

Guest hahathhat

i guess it's about priorities. i certainly don't approve of the burgeoning mess festering in my kitchen, but i'd feel like a filthy soul if i did dishes instead of recording a fantastic musical song.

i guess it's about priorities. i certainly don't approve of the burgeoning mess festering in my kitchen, but i'd feel like a filthy soul if i did dishes instead of recording a fantastic musical song.

washing dishes takes no time at all, neither does emptying a bin. You just need to program these things into your routine. I would think that if we listed all the time that you are not writing music during the day. We would find plenty of time to be clearing up what is otherwise a rather depressing and soulsucking mess.

Guest hahathhat

washing dishes takes no time at all, neither does emptying a bin. You just need to program these things into your routine. I would think that if we listed all the time that you are not writing music during the day. We would find plenty of time to be clearing up what is otherwise a rather depressing and soulsucking mess.

jesus weeps for your deprived soul!

jesus weeps for your deprived soul!

sends the goons round your house to pick you up for re-education.

people that leave dirty dishes in the sink need to be sent to a re-education camp. There's obviously something wrong with their mind. You can imagine their brains sub routine, that caused them to continue with this action to go "The sink is where dishes get washed so therefore is the next area that dishes that are now dirty must go." ie: Clean dishes cupboard/dirty dishes sink.

The problem with this is that they don't then take the next step and actually wash the dishes. This is because they would rather be doing something else, but aren't self aware enough to alter their flawed sink placing behaviour. Perhaps cause in some small way to instead place the dishes on the counter would be admitting to themselves that they are never going to wash the dishes anyway. So placing the dishes in the sink also absolves these individuals of having to feel any guilt.

what is this i don't even

what is this i don't even

how else would you explain the motivation behind, people putting dishes in the sink. Without resorting to labelling them with expletive loaded titles. Say like fuckin arstrolls or bloody Cuntsickles or something.

well every once and while i don't like to do my dishes immediately. i'll stick them in the sink, toss some water/soap on em and then proceed to eat my meal/relax for a bit. i don't find it neccessary to do my dishes right away all the time and regardless of how little time it takes to do them i would still rather take that small amount of time to do something i do enjoy. i'll do the fucking dishes later, get off my back and stop judging me for no reason. there are numerous reasons for not doing dishes right away. i ain't gonna leave for days for some other jerk to clean but i'm not putting them on the top of my priority list. other shit comes first. this doesn't make me less of a person.

Archived