IGNORED

anyone here subscribe to The Wire magazine ??

Guest beatfanatic

Guest beatfanatic

I used to read a lot about music over the internet in the past but nowadays I dont have the time or the energy to do it. I have owned 2-3 issues of the magazine before and I found some great music because of it.

I am thinking about subscribing. Does anyone here subscribe?? What do you guys think of the magazine.

*expects enter_a_new_display_name to says something about pitchfork*

well it's super expensive to subscribe in canada. i do pick it up every once in awhile. it's funny, i think i know quite a bit about music but i pick it up and i'm always very surprised at what i don't know. it is a great way to discover music :squarepusher:

i dunno, i find it tends to send the pretentiometer off the scale a lot of the time. though they do have some interesting stuff from time-to-time. i'd be more inclined to browse its contents at the newsagents and buy if there was enough of interest rather than risking a subscription.

there was a period of a couple years around the turn of the millenia where one of the 2nd hand record shops in the west end of Glasgow always seemed to have really good experimental and IDM promos.. later one of my mates told me it was because one of the Wire's writers lived near there and offloaded a lot of the stuff he got on promo. Dunno how true that is...

since their ipad edition is pretty awesome i've bought the last 3 issues of it. before that though i hadn't read it for years.

edit: ohh, wire, not wired, shiiet, i don't even know what that is.

i used to, in more financially favourable times - i have about three years worth of back issues.

great for discovering new shit and expanding your musical horizons - it's always a good sign when you haven't heard of 2/3 of the music mentioned.

Guest Greg Reason

I think it's a fantastic magazine. I don't subscribe but I read it quite a lot. They may be a teency bit pretentious at time (and only certain writers, definitely not the majority) but they do really know what they're on about, which is more than one can say for most music magazines.

i think i know quite a bit about music but i pick it up and i'm always very surprised at what i don't know. it is a great way to discover music :squarepusher:

my GF hooked me up with a subscription, the article are extremely well written, talking PHD level English. LEGIT LEGIT LEGIT

since their ipad edition is pretty awesome i've bought the last 3 issues of it. before that though i hadn't read it for years.edit: ohh, wire, not wired, shiiet, i don't even know what that is.

Haha, I subscribe to Wired too. Both great mags.

I think it's a fantastic magazine. I don't subscribe but I read it quite a lot. They may be a teency bit pretentious at time (and only certain writers, definitely not the majority) but they do really know what they're on about, which is more than one can say for most music magazines.

It really is, I bought an issue a few years ago, one with comp CD, and re-read a few reviews of artists I came to know later on. Far more academic (yet still interesting) and informed than just about any other music publication.

i would definitely subscribe if i could, but as an import, it's eleven dollars. i think the cheapest subscription for it would be $78. damn

i would definitely subscribe if i could, but as an import, it's eleven dollars. i think the cheapest subscription for it would be $78. damn

This. I wish I made more money.

i used to subscribe a few years ago, but someone in my house still usually ends up buying it every month. great way to discover new music, and i always get a laugh out of the invisible jukebox. they did william bennett from whitehouse a couple of issues ago and they finally pinned him down and got him to speak out about his italo disco obsession - worth the price of admission alone.

Guest chelsea303

I've got a subscription, as it's only like £30 a year in the UK, much cheaper than buying it in the shops. It's a fantastic music/sound magazine and having spent time with some of the writers, I have to say they are very well informed and are in it for the love of the art, for sure...

Funny enough I was thinking the same thing about subscribing. Seen it around for a few years and always had a quick glance in the newsagents but there seems to be too much good stuff to quickly glance over. Got Boomkat to throw the 2010 review in with an order I placed with them and was well impressed.

Subscription coming their way I think.

Archived