IGNORED

Request to Korg

BCM

please make a Korg Polytron. if you can manufacture and sell a Korg Monotron for £50, why can't you simply combine the innards of say, 6 Monotrons, slap it in a bigger case, add a keyboard, MIDI and some knobs and charge say £500 for it (based on 6 x Monotrons @ £50ea = £300 + £200 extra to provide keyboard, MIDI etc functionality). you could do a range - a Polytron4 with four Monotrons in it for £400, a Polytron6 with six for £500 and a Polytron8 with eight for £600 - four, six and eight voice polyphony. they'd sell like hot cakes.

not for £500 he hasn't

edit: and I don't like the Tetra, besides it's not got a keyboard or enough knobs to compete with the proposed Polytron.

not to be a dick, but why would anybody want 6 monotrons!? i don't even rate the one that's out now, let alone 6 of 'em combined!!

or are you just after.. like a new analog Korg synth.. with MIDI, MS20 filter and an ext. in ??

Guest hahathhat

not for £500 he hasn't

try mfb for that price range! :ok:

really, though, can you drive six cars at once? six times the synth in one box would be more than six times the complexity (and, probably price).

i'd like to see another modular, like the ms-20, but with digital features (built-in midi/cv, DCOs etc). but the drooling twats in guitar center wouldn't know how to get a noise out of it, so it's never happening...

The casual market will be fine with the Monotron because they can make beep boop noises with it. The Indie musician market will be fine with the Monotron because they can make beep noises with it & it's analog. I'm not sure if there is enough of a market with synth musicians for a big company to consider doing something like that.

Guest hahathhat

really, though, can you drive six cars at once? six times the synth in one box would be more than six times the complexity

what?

people make the assumption that design complexity scales linearly. it does not

really, though, can you drive six cars at once? six times the synth in one box would be more than six times the complexity

what?

gives up

The casual market will be fine with the Monotron because they can make beep boop noises with it. The Indie musician market will be fine with the Monotron because they can make beep noises with it & it's analog. I'm not sure if there is enough of a market with synth musicians for a big company to consider doing something like that.

The lead instrument in this track is all monotron with some AU reverb. I have been able to get a lot of richness out of this brilliant little synth.

http://soundcloud.com/shea-mcgilvray/verig-fog

^Nice. I don't mean to imply that the Monotron isn't a capable synth, just that most people who aren't big synth nerds won't be all that interested in shelling out extra for things like polyphony & midi/CV when the Monotron makes all of the Super Mario noises already.

please make a Korg Polytron. if you can manufacture and sell a Korg Monotron for £50, why can't you simply combine the innards of say, 6 Monotrons, slap it in a bigger case, add a keyboard, MIDI and some knobs and charge say £500 for it (based on 6 x Monotrons @ £50ea = £300 + £200 extra to provide keyboard, MIDI etc functionality). you could do a range - a Polytron4 with four Monotrons in it for £400, a Polytron6 with six for £500 and a Polytron8 with eight for £600 - four, six and eight voice polyphony. they'd sell like hot cakes.

What BCM is saying, everyone, is that he thinks it would be a good idea to combine the oscillators and filters of several individual monotrons into one interface, and ditch the ribbon keyboard for a real one. I agree, brilliant idea. Here is my schematic for the polytron 4. This is just the box, didn't want to draw a keyboard.

post-9374-0-64782600-1295206609_thumb.jpg

You have 4 VCO's and 4 LFO's. Keeping with the simplicity of the monotron, your single waveform is a sawtooth. You can further sculpt your sound with the filters, levels, pitch (dissonance.) With your levels you can have all 4 VCO's on or just 1.

Then you have your modulation section. You just like the monotron, but you get four LFO's, LFO1 mods VCO1, LFO2 mods VCO2 and so on. You can turn them on/off with the intensity knob. As you can see I am a gifted graphic designer.

What BCM is saying, everyone, is that he thinks it would be a good idea to combine the oscillators and filters of several individual monotrons into one interface, and ditch the ribbon keyboard for a real one. I agree, brilliant idea. Here is my schematic for the polytron 4. This is just the box, didn't want to draw a keyboard.

You have 4 VCO's and 4 LFO's. Keeping with the simplicity of the monotron, your single waveform is a sawtooth. You can further sculpt your sound with the filters, levels, pitch (dissonance.) With your levels you can have all 4 VCO's on or just 1.

Then you have your modulation section. You just like the monotron, but you get four LFO's, LFO1 mods VCO1, LFO2 mods VCO2 and so on. You can turn them on/off with the intensity knob. As you can see I am a gifted graphic designer.

this sounds very interesting! now that you put it like that. :)

also, "Polytron" is a pretty cool sounding name.

Guest hahathhat

what?

gives up

you always were a quitter.

yes, exactly this! maybe I didn't explain it very well....

thanks sheatheman :)

lets show some sac and email this link to korg

its as though"KORG" is a "mono"lithic music god that we all worship………..oh …….wait a sec…..it already is

lets show some sac and email this link to korg

its as though"KORG" is a "mono"lithic music god that we all worship………..oh …….wait a sec…..it already is

Let's do it! We need to include all of our emails in the email or something. I don't know about all of the CC email stuff so someone else figure it out. Maybe we'll be playing a polytron 4 in a few years.

i posted this idea in the kronos thread

haha, who posted it first?

BCM to yikes : "i'll see you in court!"

i did

sure

6 part multi timbal

over ride for 6 note poly synth action

midi in /out

cv in /out

gate in

glide

master portapotty