IGNORED

mushishi

kokoon

Guest abreaktor

worth watching for a grown-up half-assed escapist? id love to have some good anime ... after watching all there is of GITS, death note and cowboy bebop

Guest abreaktor

hmm... i have been doing director-fucused dvd nights with miike, lynch, solondz etc, what could possibly haPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I remember seeing about 7 or 8 episodes of it and quite liking it but I struggle to enjoy shows that don't follow one continuous story line... you know, episode by episode shows kinda bore me usually. Especially if every episode is pretty much the same sorta thing. But then I also get frustrated with TV shows that go on for too long without anything getting resolved (like the big hit anime, Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach etc... but those I made as light entertainment for kids so what can I expect...)

This is why I usually prefer to watch movies.

I still go back to my favourites: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, and to a slightly lesser extent, Kaiba and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Those shows all struck a really good balance of one continuing story line and episode by episode stories (although Utena was verging on being a bit long winded and repeatitive).

I didn't mind that it's episodic. It's all very gentle, relaxed, nicely paced... A story would just push towards some climax or change. But I just wanted to be immersed in the Mushishi world. Like kokoon said, very different from conventional anime. Definitely one of my favourites.

I'm thinking of watching it again now.

Really? I watched some of it. It was good, but I definitely wouldn't say that it's the best ever.

Agreed. Kino's Journey is incredible.

And while we're on the subject of awesome anime, I'll quote a post of mine from another forum:

- Outlaw Star: Such a badass universe, great art, great story.

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: This is single-handedly the most incredibly epic anime/show/story ever. I cannot describe how much love I have for everything about this anime. The art blows my mind.

- Cowboy Bebop: Wonderful story, awesome characters, incredible music (Yoko Kanno is one of my heroes [heroines?]).

- Fooly Cooly: Incredible art (and music by the pillows of course). I love the whole experimental nature of it. Great piece of visual and conceptual art.

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This show will blow your mind. Don't read about it, just watch it and don't stop single-digit episodes in.

I watched Mushishi a few years back (also talked to kokoon about it, but kinda wasn't the right time I guess) and loved it. The most beautiful anime experience in my life.

Also, I loved the non-action thing, made me realize how tired I am of constant action everywhere.

also surprisingly substantial is shigurui. http://www.amazon.com/Shigurui-Frenzy-Complete-Classic-Blu-ray/dp/B0049TC8A8/

still definitely stuck in the logic of an anime-only world, but quite like a variation on classic samurai movies, in a sense.

personally, i was interested in anime in my late teens. over the last ten years (now 37...) i've kept an eye in and most really good stuff has been films (mind game, tekkon kinkreet, paprika, tokyo godfathers, summer days with coo)

with few really good series that suit anything beyond fairly simple requirements and colorful flash visuals.

GITS : SAC is my favourite series though.

I remember seeing about 7 or 8 episodes of it and quite liking it but I struggle to enjoy shows that don't follow one continuous story line... you know, episode by episode shows kinda bore me usually. Especially if every episode is pretty much the same sorta thing. But then I also get frustrated with TV shows that go on for too long without anything getting resolved (like the big hit anime, Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach etc... but those I made as light entertainment for kids so what can I expect...)

I still go back to my favourites: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, and to a slightly lesser extent, Kaiba and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Exactly, I've seen the first 4 four episodes of Mushishi and like the premise and idea of mushi and all. I'm just not a fan at all of the episode structure. Having a new mushi situation that is resolved within the timespace of each episode without a continuing plot is just not good enough. I had the same trouble with Full Metal Alchemist and a few others that were based on self contained episodes.

I need the ongoing storyline, which is why I really like Paranoia Agent, it's perfectly done.

By the way if you liked that you might like Serial Experiments Lain, not as good as PA, but a delightfully weird and ongoing story nonetheless.

Also looking forward to Neon Genesis Evangelion, heard so much good stuff about that show.

Exactly, I've seen the first 4 four episodes of Mushishi and like the premise and idea of mushi and all. I'm just not a fan at all of the episode structure. Having a new mushi situation that is resolved within the timespace of each episode without a continuing plot is just not good enough. I had the same trouble with Full Metal Alchemist and a few others that were based on self contained episodes.

I need the ongoing storyline, which is why I really like Paranoia Agent, it's perfectly done.

By the way if you liked that you might like Serial Experiments Lain, not as good as PA, but a delightfully weird and ongoing story nonetheless.

Also looking forward to Neon Genesis Evangelion, heard so much good stuff about that show.

Actually I thought Full Metal Alchemist had a pretty good continuing storyline for the first half of the show, the last two seasons were pretty lame though.

Lain was alright, I could never watch it more than once though.

Evangelion is FAR from perfect but it's just so incredibly watchable and boy is it powerful stuff. It lulls you into a false sense of security with it's pretty girls and fancy mechanical designs, then drops you into a pit of despair when you least expect it. Don't expect it to be well crafted, as much as... unique and moving.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Recently got watching this series thanks to this thread - it's really something, thanks. Was thinking about making an anime recommendations thread after recently watching the entirety of Outlaw Star so this came out a great time. :flower:

• 4 years later...

Bumping this old topic. Watching Mushi-Shi right now, it's pretty good. It started to get boring for a couple episodes but is picking up now; just finished episode 12 about his past, very sad episode. The whole series is pretty dark.

Archived