IGNORED

In-Ear Headphone Recommendations

calx

Apologies if it has been done before...

Any recommendations for a good quality In-Ear Headphone...

Google search simply brings up advertisement after advertisement :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theres at least one headphone-thread on every page of general banter. so just use the search button.

Also go to amazon, enter your price-range and check out those with the most/highest customer reviews. Always a good start.

Guest Helper ET

i know little about the aforementioned subject. i have a friend with tinnitus that uses them, and he tells me they are awesome, and he is very careful with his ears, but he says a lot of things were awesome, so i dont know. my point in all this, is that i too, have suffered from gradual hearing damage, and i know an ear fucker when i hear one, and those in-ear phone things cant be good news, i swear. like, maybe they were designed to be brilliantly gentle on the ears, i dont know, im just saying, shoving tiny speakers into my delicate, unhealable ears, has never been a positive experience for me, not from a musical perspective, nor from a health perspective

Guest Helper ET

and in regards to bass, unless these earphones are magical earphones from fairy land, i dont care what anyone says, they cant possibly produce an adequate amount of bass. im pretty sure that shit resonates through the headphone hardware

Guest Helper ET

upon further analysis, ive realized fuck these things. theres no way these things can provide a listener with the same colourful dynamics that real headphones can. i bet it would end up sounding thin and disappointing (vordhosbn is the best headphone test)

i am of course drunk too, so my scientific opinion has the potential to include faulty logic. what are you gonna do right?

I bought some Jbuds on Amazon for christmas. Best earbuds I've ever bought. Not only do that produce more bass than my previous earbuds, they produce the full spectrum of music beautifully. They're definitely damn close to wearing over-ear headphones.

Btw, these are the ones: http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Premium-Hi-Fi-Noise-Isolating-Earbuds/dp/B001GS8FZ2/?pf_rd_mnb=ATVPDKIKX0D34&pf_rd_stb=center-2&pf_rd_rat=0817NMRY4ZRQZM6P18TH&pf_rd_t3r=101&pf_rd_ptd=470938631&pf_rd_ied=507846&tag=buaazs-20&pf_rd_ptd=470938631&pf_rd_ied=507846

Also, helpful advice for using them:

1. I noticed that they sounded really tinny when I got them, and I was quite disappointed. I found a way to fix that, though: Plug them in and set your mp3 player really loud at your most hardcore music for an hour or two. That's right, just put it on and leave it there. The speakers in the earbuds need to break in a little bit. Make sure the song has a lot of bass and a lot of treble, and everything in between. Nothing too bassy or too trebly. You want there to be a balance.

2. If you have an iPod, set the Equalizer to Rock, RnB or Classical. The music doesn't really sound good when the equalizer is off. The Rock, RnB or Classical settings really give the music much more depth and separation of different frequencies & sounds.

Good advice there, thanks...

Will look into the ones mentioned above.

Not looking for anything particularly bass heavy, just want a precise & accurate reproduction for when out & about...

Again, apologies for the re-post, just finding my way round the forum right now.

Guest Helper ET

well now ive got a bit of problem with this you see. first of all, of course, the first thing you noticed is that they sound tinny. of course! they all do, im pretty sure. i dont know if AKG makes these things, if they do, im sure theyre not nearly as effective for the music sexing. next, you mentioned about "breaking them in". im sorry, i dont know much about headphones or electronics, but that just sounds like your telling him to break his new earphones a little bit. sounds weird. and now i dont like this whole "EQ your ipod thing for optimum sound quality" business either. i use EQ function to turn down the treble, thats it. to use it as a casual "make sound gooder", just wont cut it. musicians and producers spend endless hours getting the mix right, and then you come in and just rape everything theyve worked on. a pox on you!

EQ should never have been given to the consumer. and certainly not graphic EQ.

rule of thumb - if you have to EQ to get the music to "sound right", then your listening equipment is utter shit.

Guest Helper ET

all i dream about at night is having an 8 band graphic EQ on my portable music thing, watchu talkin bout willis?

they provide a classical, rock, or jazz function. they even have bass reducer and increase, as well for treble, but no, they didnt give us a "i have fucking tinnitus you assholes" function. bastards. im gonna start a label for tinnitus people, where the music will all be within frequency ranges tolerable. if any of you steal this idea i will hunt you down and sue you

I totally understand EQing for preference though.

i don't. as has already been said, the musician and the sound engineers have gone through painstaking hours to get their art sounding the way they intend it to be listened to.

by applying EQ at the listening stage, the listener is effectively taking a shit on Mona Lisa's face.

elitist that may sound, but i'm obviously not the only one that feels that way. and i do understand that you're not the only person that feels that EQing as a listening preference should be an option.

Guest Helper ET

i require EQ as an option, only because the pain endured from listening to unfiltered music has become more unpleasant than pleasurable for me. i cant even do normal things anymore without my ears hurting...

be safe kids

Sennheiser cx-300i

Agreed. I've been through a fair few pairs of headphones but never spent too much on them. I've found these perform the best overall. It's just when you lose the little rubber thingys it is fucking annoying.

EQ should never have been given to the consumer. and certainly not graphic EQ.

rule of thumb - if you have to EQ to get the music to "sound right", then your listening equipment is utter shit.

this is true to a certain extent but a tiny tweak on some more inexpensive but still decent phones can make all the difference and less fatigue on the ears

I had my sennhiser CX300II's well over a year now with my Nokia 5800 and they only need a tiny lift in the high end with a little roll off on the bass to smooth it, if I dip around 500htz I can rise the volume comfortably so it doesn't bash my ears

I previously had some Shure E2's which although had a nice transparent mid range had fuck all bass or sparkle were really uncomfortable to wear and fell apart after 4 months! I get a very close if not more level sound with the CX300's with a touch of EQ and they cost around a quarter of what the E2's cost

saying this I do want to treat myself to a Cowon x7 and some better phones soon (bling-bling)

Guest Helper ET

check out wiki page

Notable individuals with tinnitus include:

* Richard Attenborough[77]

* Thomas Bangalter[78]

* Ludwig van Beethoven[79]

* Igor Balis[80]

* Jeff Beck[81]

* Bono[82]

* Peter Brown[83]

* Eric Clapton[81]

* Louis-Ferdinand Celine[84]

* Phil Collins [85]

* Graham Cole[86]

* Charles Darwin[87]

* John Densmore[88]

* Al Di Meola[89]

* Danny Elfman[90]

* Till Fellner[91]

* Paul Gilbert[92]

* Gary Glitter[93]

* Francisco de Goya[94]

* Charlie Haden[95]

* Ayumi Hamasaki[96]

* James Hetfield[97]

* Adolf Hitler[98]

* Howard Hughes[99]

* Joey Jordison[100]

* Garrison Keillor[101]

* Myles Kennedy[102]

* Steve Kilbey[103]

* David Letterman[82]

* Huey Lewis[81]

* Rush Limbaugh[104]

* Martin Luther[105]

* Steve Martin[106]

* Joseph Mawle[107]

* Stephin Merritt[108]

* Michelangelo[109]

* Roger Miller[110]

* Moby[111]

* Leonard Nimoy[112]

* Tim Pagnotta

* Andy Partridge[113]

* Tim Powles[103]

* Tom Tancredo[114]

* Tony Randall[115]

* Ronald Reagan[116]

* Jimmy Savile[106]

* Robert Schumann[94]

* William Shatner[117]

* Alan Shepard[94]

* Paul Simon[111]

* Bedřich Smetana[118]

* Vivian Stanshall[119]

* Jack Straw[120]

* Barbra Streisand[106]

* Peter Stringfellow[121]

* Pete Townshend[94]

* Alex Trebek[122]

* Lars Ulrich[123]

* Neil Young[94]

* Vincent van Gogh[124]

* Will.i.am[125]

dude just dont fuck around with this shit and go buy some real headphones

I owned a pair of those sennheisers. They were pretty good but feel apart within a few months.

I had a pair of Ultimate Ear Metrofi's as well which were really good. I think they have switched their product line up now, something for every budget here. But yep, quality shit.

http://ultimateears.com/

back on topic, i'm considering replacing my Sony MDR-EX300 earphones with the MDR-EX500

the MDR-EX300 have been serving me well, but i just feel like trying the 500s

Tried both of these, fairly good "rounded" bass reproduction on both, also had the shure e2c and some etytomic research which I wasn't overly impressed with.

As mentioned above, I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Really looking for a clear reproduction on all levels but again, it's so difficult with such small speakers.

Will give the sennhieser's a try, thanks.

Archived