IGNORED

Ford & Lopatin (Games) - Channel Pressure

joew

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

so i guess they did have to change their name. i read an article about them and at the end it said there was some ongoing legal thing with the name

the first preview in that video has the drum beat from the last portishead album

Obviously, new releases aren't new and took x amount of months or years to make but it seems like VHS Head has touched off an immediate bull market in the chopped 80's department. At one point, I would have said that it sounded like Com Truise but--for better or for worse--VHS head is going to be the closest reference point for the most amount of people now. I hope Com is in on the cut--his website has plenty of live shows and releases going.

Com Truise's sound is very indebted to Daniel Lopatin. He spoke of him as on the same level as BoC in an interview. I don't think you can really point this sound at one person though. I think a lot of people have just come to the same conclusion through interests in synthpop, lofi, and Boards of Canada. I certainly don't think VHS Head was the first to the jump, but because he's on Skam he obviously got attention from the WATMM community.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest crazymonk

I feel like this whole movement became embryonic with the leaking of the Colonel Abrams "Trapped" remix a decade ago. I for one welcome our new 80's slowdown glitch overlords.

Obviously, new releases aren't new and took x amount of months or years to make but it seems like VHS Head has touched off an immediate bull market in the chopped 80's department. At one point, I would have said that it sounded like Com Truise but--for better or for worse--VHS head is going to be the closest reference point for the most amount of people now. I hope Com is in on the cut--his website has plenty of live shows and releases going.
Com Truise's sound is very indebted to Daniel Lopatin. He spoke of him as on the same level as BoC in an interview. I don't think you can really point this sound at one person though. I think a lot of people have just come to the same conclusion through interests in synthpop, lofi, and Boards of Canada. I certainly don't think VHS Head was the first to the jump, but because he's on Skam he obviously got attention from the WATMM community.

Yeah, interestingly enough, I haven't seen as much attention for VHS Head as there is for Com Truise, Ford & Lopatin, etc on sites like Pfork, Fact Mag, and other major "indie" review sites. Good point. Not to mention the 2009 chillwave/Glo-Fi/hypnagogic fad a couple years back (Washed Out/Memory Tapes/Neon Indian) that was heavily indebted to other lo-fi and "hauntology" artists...people only now appear to be making the connections in retrospect.

I feel like this whole movement became embryonic with the leaking of the Colonel Abrams "Trapped" remix a decade ago. I for one welcome our new 80's slowdown glitch overlords.

Dude, seriously that's immediately what I though of when this came out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ex38L8xtNI

Guest bitroast

Very much looking fprward to this release.

Opn soundcloud

I noticed the recent opn remix of antony's swanlighta is actually credited to ford and lopatin. Interesting, perhaps :p

Possibly my most anticipated release so far this year, I heart Games

i'm also REALLY optimistic about this release—should be really good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

holy shit this leaked?

i've already listened twice since my So Soon! post.

the instrumental versions are incredibly appreciated additions

Totally cheesy and I mean that in the best way possible. Like some weird alternate universe late 80s pop. Just the right blend of cheese, nostalgia, and great music for me. Album of the year for me thus far.

Guest bitroast

not totally sold on the vocals / vocal melodys / vocal structures / etc etc etc.

diggin the album, the style. the sheer fact it's an album length release of Games material makes it amazing. but i'm not completely convinced just yet.

i'll keep listening tho ^_^!

whoa, emergency room... what happened? this is like scritti politti circa cupid and psyche 85... androgynous vocals and all. the other games stuff i'd heard was all kind of elaborated echo jams just this is completely different. is the rest of the record like this? kind of excited if it is

Did you hear Strawberry Skies on their last EP:

Archived