here are some comics i've heard people rave about, but have not read yet:

milk_cheese_Dorkin.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_%26_Cheese

booga.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_girl

and here's one that i thought was a genuine lol for the name/concept alone:

155743-18916-111792-1-battle-pope-genesis_large.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_pope

i also really need to get around to robert crumb's stuff....

I can't figure out how to respond to this incoherent babble.

yet, here you are with a sarcastic reply !

will the wonders ever cease?

i'm with hahathhat on this one

hi hahathhat, i'm with you!

*withs*

I can't figure out how to respond to this incoherent babble.

Guest hahathhat

i saw the movie version of akira after being awake for over 40 hours. it was terrifying and confusing in that state..... i heard they tried to cram too much into too little time with the film adaption, and i'd be inclined to believe that assessment.

I grew up reading random old secondhand comics. Stuff like Silver Surfer and Kirby's Fourth World saga strikes me as pretty idm, at least in theory.

kirby1.jpg

get the Fourth World Omnibus volumes, should be required reading. also the Sandman (Neil Gaiman) TPB issues are top shelf, lads.

get the Fourth World Omnibus volumes, should be required reading. also the Sandman (Neil Gaiman) TPB issues are top shelf, lads.

yeah I actually own both, just didn't want to sound like a nerd :mu-ziq:

I would also recommend Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run as something that breaks tired superhero norms; sort of dada crime-fighting(?)

I used to collect Spawn comics... I always found the story to be pretty deep and complex past the first few establishing issues, the artwork is pretty great too, especially once Greg Capullo came onto the team.

I've read Watchmen, and I loved it... I've been meaning to read more of the Alan Moore Batman one's and I've heard his take on swamp thing is interesting

Also Frank Miller's Sin City is a great read.

i did kind of like johnny the homicidal maniac. it wasn't the maximum utmost, but it was visceral and engaging.

i ate that shit up when i was a teenager, despite being uncomfortably close to the kind of person he was constantly lampooning. i even played vampire: the masquerade perpetual hassle.

but really, that and american splendor and to a much lesser extent sandman were all i ever really got into.

god this hits too close to home.

fuck why was i so dumb as a teenager

also American Splendor is a good movie/comic book and imo the best thing Crumb has illustrated for. also neil gaiman is a+

My favorite comic is Calvin and Hobbes though (if it counts.) Makes me incredibly nostalgic.

lol

/embarrassing post

I used to collect Spawn comics... I always found the story to be pretty deep and complex past the first few establishing issues, the artwork is pretty great too, especially once Greg Capullo came onto the team.

I used to collect Spawn comics as well, up until issue 50 or so when the comic store in my town vanished. =[ I loved the depictions of hell that McFarlane drew up... too bad the movie sucked so hard.

Guest Sprigg

I've recently gotten into Northlanders and Eric Shanower's adaptations oft he Oz books. Those Oz comics have some of the most inspired artwork I've seen in some time.

I used to collect Spawn comics as well, up until issue 50 or so when the comic store in my town vanished. =[ I loved the depictions of hell that McFarlane drew up... too bad the movie sucked so hard.

yeah, they totally butchered the story with the movie... there was rumors a few years back of re-doing the movie to do the comic more justice but I doubt anything's gonna come of that, not sure McFarlane has the interest in doing it or that the interest in Spawn is high enough these days to warrant re-doing it

Archived