IGNORED

Moving a computer overseas

thehauntingsoul

So I've got two problems facing me here. First of all, I have to get my computer overseas without breaking it. I'm thinking of taking it apart, packing the individual parts in static bags and padding them with bubble wrap and packing it into my carry-on, and throw the case in my luggage so I can avoid paying fed ex all of my money. Any reason that would be a bad idea?

Secondly, power conversion might be a problem. Is it simply a matter of buying a power cord that has a European plug? I've also got a monitor and speakers to contend with. I'm sure I'll need new speakers, but does anyone know if my monitor will have problems over there? I'd hate to have to either pay like 500 pounds for a new monitor, or settle for something shitty.

Thanks for your help folks.

edit: Also I'd like to avoid using those power plug adapter things, as I blew out a great pair of speakers using one of them on my last trip. They work ok for some things but I don't want to risk blowing out my nice big monitor or my power supply/mobo/etc

I'm thinking of taking it apart, packing the individual parts in static bags and padding them with bubble wrap and packing it into my carry-on

lol, way to get shot

Guest hahathhat

the power supplies are designed to handle both voltages, so just a plug would probably work... but i feel your nerves on this. if you're on north american 110/120v going to european 220/240v then you can buy a "stepdown transformer" which actually drops the voltage down, rather than just changing the plug pinout.

as for taking it apart... i'd keep the hard disk with you maybe, other than that just save yourself the hassle and fedex it

is it just me or does this project sound a bit anachronistic..? Desktop computers, they used to have these monstrosities on and under their desks and they had diesel engines.

Guest hahathhat

is it just me or does this project sound a bit anachronistic..? Desktop computers, they used to have these monstrosities on and under their desks and they had diesel engines.

i love desktops. you can't do goddamn anything with a laptop when it develops a problem, except maybe swap out the hard disc. laptops encourage this bullshit about "disposable appliances" where it's built like shit and dies after a year, so they can sell you a new one.

I would keep it all intact, spare the heatsink. I had a computer shipped to me one time with one of those cheap intel heatinks and a few of the plastic clips ended up snapping leaving the heatsink free to tumble all over the motherboard, snapping capacitors and such. Take that guy off and maybe bring your hard drive with you on the carry on.

back in the days before i had a laptop i used to gig with my desktop in a suitcase. with gigantic monitor to boot.

this was only going to and from reading to bournemouth. but still was WAY WAY WAY WAY too much hasstle. it makes me taking my live set up going over seas seem like nothing.

get a laptop.

problem is even if I sell this thing at what I paid for it, I still won't get a laptop that even comes close in terms of gaming power. That's what I mainly use this thing for. I'll probably just fedex it although i'm not really excited about paying a $200 duty fee. I suppose I'll have to pay that whether I ship it or take it on the plane anyways though.

That and yeah I hate that you can't replace parts in laptops like you can in desktops.

edit: also are monitors designed to run on either frequency?

Guest hahathhat

edit: also are monitors designed to run on either frequency?

plug a US power strip into the step-down transformer and power it all off that. the ntsc/pal thing has nothing to do with how computer monitors work.

I'll probably just fedex it although i'm not really excited about paying a $200 duty fee.

I've sent stuff to myself overseas and it's a bitch. Brace yourself because I'd estimate that for a desktop computer the shipping will probably be well in excess of $200 before duty.

Guest Gary C

I think computers are fine across the Atlantic. TV's are tricky.

I'm sure you could find some appropriate cabled plugs on the internet.

Guest hahathhat

just buy a new psu and slot it in.

zing.

for his monitor too ?

what if he has external usb drives he has to plug in ?

zang.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I'm thinking of taking it apart, packing the individual parts in static bags and padding them with bubble wrap and packing it into my carry-on

lol, way to get shot

I've done this on several international flights and dozens of domestic with 0 issues. Seriously they actually seem to leave you alone if you have 2 or 3 laptops and a bunch of weird boards and tools, because the only times I've been stopped for searching has been with no bags at all...

Guest hahathhat

lol, way to get shot

I've done this on several international flights and dozens of domestic with 0 issues. Seriously they actually seem to leave you alone if you have 2 or 3 laptops and a bunch of weird boards and tools, because the only times I've been stopped for searching has been with no bags at all...

are you white?

Guest Coalbucket PI

I think you need a really big transformer, but I suppose you can just run a power strip of US plugs off that if it's just your computer stuff.

lol, way to get shot

are you white?

he probly wears a turban , so they cant search him otherwise they look prejudice

Guest hahathhat

why bother moving overseas if you're just gonna be a gamer nerd?

it's the closest gal he could find that would give him a lay.

(sorry hauntingsoul!)

just buy a new psu and slot it in.

zing.

for his monitor too ?

what if he has external usb drives he has to plug in ?

zang.

No externals, but I do have a monitor so maybe the powerbar/transformer would be the best way to go as long as that isn't a total fire hazard or anything like that.

Do you think I'd be moving overseas if all I plan on doing is playing video games?

it's the closest gal he could find that would give him a lay.

(sorry hauntingsoul!)

yeah yeah :rolleyes:

Archived