IGNORED

Loscil - coast/range/arc

Tauhid

Received it in the mail today. It's a gorgeous release.

Why hasn't it LEAKED yet then? :rtfm:

Because I'm not doing this.

Buy it.

Love me some Loscil, can't tell you how many nights I've fallen asleep to his stuff on shuffle. Also have all his albums thrown into a big ambient megamix I fall asleep to quite often. It's great studying music as well.

Is the increasing sort of "white noise" which starts at appr. 1 minute into the first track (and which lasts during most of the remainder of the track) really supposed to be there?

To me it sounds totally out of place compared to the rest of the album.

• 1 year later...
Guest Smuckers

Black Tusk is fucking phenomenal.

funnily enough that comment was what brought me look through all the loscil threads here. Personally i cannot hear what is so special about "Black Tusk". And for Higgins to rate it as his best, is pretty surprising to hear.

Did you check out everything he's done prior to this album? I'd be surprised to hear that you weren't into Submers. I know given that album big ups a couple of times here, but I do think it's his most rhymthic, and one of his most atmospheric albums. I'm not crazy about some of his material either, though.

funnily enough that comment was what brought me look through all the loscil threads here. Personally i cannot hear what is so special about "Black Tusk". And for Higgins to rate it as his best, is pretty surprising to hear.

First off, unless I've written it elsewhere on this site, I don't remember saying that Black Tusk was Morgan's best work. For the record, however, it is one of my favourite pieces of music by him. Personal preference, of course.

Black Tusk has a Tim Hecker quality to it. It's the track that made me buy the album. I would like Loscil to do more of this style of ambient.

^This.

Black Tusk is an example of the ambient music that I find it very rewarding to listen to, and if Scott put out an album that was 10 tracks of Black Tusk variations, I'd buy it for sure; I find it to have a rather grand, gothic element to it that is quite breathtaking. Like Npoess, it was this track that made me buy the album.

Guest Smuckers

First off, unless I've written it elsewhere on this site, I don't remember saying that Black Tusk was Morgan's best work. For the record, however, it is one of my favourite pieces of music by him. Personal preference, of course.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/75035-loscil-sketches-from-new-brighton/#entry1859172

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/75035-loscil-sketches-from-new-brighton/#entry1859172

Wow, I guess I should be flattered that my opinion on Black Tusk seems to means so much to you.

It would seem I did say so then, and I stand by it for the reasons in the post above; a gothic sweeping ambience. It makes a wonderful double header if you play it with another of Loscil's great tracks, Else (all just my opinion of course, lol etc).

Archived