IGNORED

Is jungle/dnb still alive?

J3FF3R00

i've tried hard to make myself listen to dustup but so far i only dig 000.1% of what i ear

am i alone ?

Nah man, I don't like very much of it either. Wagawaga and Boxcutter are the only artists in my dubstep collection. I imagine there's some other good stuff out there, but I'm too lazy to dig through a bunch of shit to find a few gems.

Guest yikes

i just find it hard to believe the hype around burial

its like what did he do that is so innovative?

i guess i am out of touch and the younger generation is just …i dunno ….easily pleased?

i find it hard to top the 93-2001 era of drum and bass /jungle and real dub jamaican "version" from 1972-1982

in fact i'd rather listen to dancehaLL than dubstep

Guest yikes

this is a nice oldies rinse

http://soundcloud.com/king-cannibal-3/king-cannibal-life-on-the-beat-mix

Ed Rush & Nico – Torque

Ed Rush & Optical – Zardoz

Photek Ni Ten Ryu

Fierce & Nico – Crystal

Dom & Roland – Hydrolicks

Ed Rush – Skylab

Lemon D – 12:01

Boymerang – Mind Control

Photek – The Seven Samurai

Desired State – Mind Games

Source Direct – Two Masks

Dillinja – Deadly Deep Subs

Andy C & Shimon – Recharge

Roni Size – Brut Force

Skyscraper – Mach 2

J Majik – Your Sound Remix

Total Science – Ghostlife

Dj Die – Reincarnation

Remarc – RIP (Remarc Rmx)

Shy FX – Gangsta 2 (L Double Rmx)

Remarc – Drum N’ Bass Wise Remix

Dylan – Junglism VIP

Cutty Ranks – Limb By Limb Remix

Mask – Alright

DJ Gunshot – Wheel & Deal Remix

Mask – Square Off

Bizzy B – Creation

DJ Crysal – Warpdrive 04 Remix

Rufige Kru – Terminator (Danny C Remix)

Bizzy B – Bad Boy Sound

Shy FX – The Message

Hyperon Experience – Lords Of The Null Lines (Foul Play Remix)

Alex Reece – Pulp Fiction

Adam F – Metropolis

Ed Rush & Nico – Technology (Boymerang Remix)

Genoforce – The Germ

Nasty Habits – Shadow Boxing

Ed Rush & Optical – Funktion VIP

Usual Suspects – Killa Bees (Dillinja Remix)

Mr L – Piper 3 (The Clone)

Bad Company – The Nine

Photek – UFO

Codename John – The Warning

J Majik – Your Sound Remix

Soundmurderer – Toronto VIP

Q Project – Champion Sound

Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce – Alien Girl

Dillinja – Revelations

UFO – Terradome (2005 Blade Runner Remix)

Spirit – Siren (Hive Remix)

Adam F – Metropolis

Doc Scott – Here Comes The Drums (Breakage Remix)

Adam F – Brand New Funk

Genoforce – The Germ

Dom & Roland – Quadrant 6

Keaton & Hive – No Hope

Dj Krust – Warhead

Limewax – The Bomb

Hive – Bring It On

Dillinja – Light Years

Doc Scott – Unofficial Ghost

Souljah – Fade To Black

Dillinja – Silverblade

Asylum – Da Base 2 Dark

Goldie – Still Life (Photek Remix)

Photek – Rings Around Saturn

Goldie – Saint Angel

Codename John – Warned

Goldie – Angel (Teebee Remix)

Adam F – Metropolis (Doc Scott Remix)

Limewax – Everything

Bad Company – Planet Dust

Audio – Delusional

Dylan & Limewax – Cleansed By A Nightmare

Technical Itch – Raised By Evil

Shy Fx – Wolf (Dillinja Remix)

Technical Itch – Life Of Sin (Limewax Remix)

Limewax – MOTD

Current Value – Unpardenable Deeds

Ed Rush & Nico – Bludclot Artattack

Mason – Ruff Rugged & Raw (Technical Itch Remix)

i've tried hard to make myself listen to duhstep but so far i only dig 000.1% of what i ear

am i alone ?

Some peoples brains just need stuff going on at a faster BPM as we take in and process the information quicker. :whistling:

That and dubstep caters to stoners.

Yes, stoners are everywhere. I would agree with that. It is a drug that does not discriminate. On the other hand that offhand comment which may have a dash of truth to it, was a nice addition to my (anti-dubstep/we're better than you slow witted douches) rant.

;-]

I'm starting to notice lots of classic Jungle/DrumNBass producers have been making the switch to dubstep.

I feel like in NYC, jungle has been dead for a while.

After moving to LA, I've been getting my hopes up for a good jungle event or 2 and it seems like whenever something is labeled drum n bass, it basically means that it's probably gonna be dubstep.

:wtf:

Can someone shed some light?

That's because the producers do what sells. hurf :facepalm:

Would you not say that jungle caters to stoners?

I don't get high and I love love love love jungle.

I listen to my old rave-era mixtapes all the time.

It is (IMO) the best genre of dance music. It never gets old to me.

:sup:

Guest Synthacat 9

Never gets old to me either, love me some jungle :sup:

I'd say there are more jungle tracks with ganja or weed in the title than dubstep tunes honestly... and they're not rubbish! Smokey Joe, Ganja Kru, everyone's got their ganja tunes- Krome & Time, Aphrodite, Jungle Terrorists, hell you even have a record label named after the plant d:

I like everything from Shy FX to Ill Figure to Peverelist, loads in between, there's so much music out there! to just pigeonhole artists into genres before you dismiss them is only depriving yourself of good music. I understand that there's a specific sound that you might be looking for + that changes as you hear more and more, but it looks like everyone is changing their styles up. tech itch, spl, everyone in between is being influenced by what's been going on in the past 6 (let alone 17) years. aaron spectre has totally switched it up. I'm sure there are some dudes out there who are trying to stay true to the sound, but i kinda have to say this: the bangers have already been made. the records have been pressed. time for you to make the next hot shit, on a different tip (:

Guest A/D

i've been on and off into DNB/jungle but Noisia have really pushed me into that world. tracks like "the tide", "machine gun" and "my world" are heavy and harmonic and inventive. i enjoy the well-produced technical stuff in a good mix but i don't think the DJ should have to make your tracks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05CQlb_1qgw&fmt=18

Jungle is still pretty much alive, just gone back to being underground yet again probably.

Here are some random new jungle things that I've stumbled across recently. can't be bothered to research and find more, but there is definitely jungle out there if you look for it.

http://www.junodownload.com/products/bombaclot-go-boom/1726826-02/

http://www.archive.org/details/gt258NoSmile-AfricaDream

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brick-Jungle/dp/B004SUIG5O/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304277604&sr=301-1

http://soundcloud.com/mashed-youths-records/sets/rise-ep/

http://soundcloud.com/ramrecords/sets/fresh-future-jungle-ep/

Guest dean789

Drum n bass is alive and well in london, i can pick up at least 10 dnb pirate radio stations. rude fm and kool fm still going strong

Guest Aces

I do love jungle myself, it was the first electronic music i discovered for myself when i was about nine or ten. Stealing mixtapes from my brothers room. It has left a lasting impact on me. As to whether it's still alive, I think it's only alive in a bastardised form really these days. Most attempts i've heard either fall foul of being amen wankery with some ragga samples chucked in or they are just drum and bass tracks with a break thrown in for some sort of credibilty. Drum and bass itself these days for the most part seems to be a dog chasing its own tail. I have no doubt that there is good stuff out there still, i've even heard some. Most of it remains hidden from me currently though and i'm not too sure if I really have the time to find it either.

I've also not been above trying to recreate some of the magic I hear from the stuff I do like. So i'm not above a little revivalism myself. I find it very difficult to write it because i'm heavily critical of what i write anyway and I have to admit that jungle itself is a bit of a sacred cow to me for some reason... Anyway, i've finished my rambling and i've come to the conclusion that it depends on where you are standing as whether it's alive or not.

for anyone interested in my own attempts click here.

Guest kineaesth

While jungle is far less common than it was, there are several ways in which it's still very much alive. When Kode9 played here about a year ago, he finished his set with about 45 minutes of jungle - it's moves like this, confusing everyone in the crowd by dropping old Bizzy B tracks, which show that it's still a very powerful, influential musical force. Similarly, there's a lot of jungle influence to be found in some more modern 'post'-dubstep/whatever you want to call it. Just as it began, jungle can be slowed down from 160/170 to 130/140, and at this tempo it can be used in really interesting ways.

Ramadanman is using jungle drum patterns/kits at ~135 bpm, first with Glut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS09iBTo2L4&t=3m17s

then on his later EP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLzBTmmt0E&t=1m10s

releases on HATE, which is an offshoot of Modern Love, are also getting right back in to the UK Hardcore side of things

http://www.modern-love.co.uk/hate

a lot of the HATE releases, although they're limited pressings, are still available if you have a look around - definitely worth picking up a few.

Archived