IGNORED

Shaman/Over the Counter Weed Equivalents

murve33

$30 American for 5 grams, and I can buy it over the counter. Completely legal to purchase, not legal to smoke. This is because it's marketed as Potpourri. Problem is, I'm under the impression that weed is not bad for you, while this shit is chemicals sprayed on stuff/rose petals.

I suppose a lot of you guys do shit that's pretty bad for you to begin with, so I guess this question is more aimed at the stoners/weekend smokers.

What's in it?

Also, weed can be pretty bad for you. Daily use slows down the brain thinkings and doings pretty fast... I mean slow...? you know what i mean lol :nugs:

It will do in a pinch. And oftentimes, a pinch will do ye fine. Not a suitable replacement. Not as "warm" or "comfortable" as the real thing, but much better than nothing if you are in a situation where the real isn't available. Generally shorter lasting, but faster acting. Has been known to trigger paranoia/anxiety in a lot of folks.

It will do in a pinch. And oftentimes, a pinch will do ye fine. Not a suitable replacement. Not as "warm" or "comfortable" as the real thing, but much better than nothing if you are in a situation where the real isn't available. Generally shorter lasting, but faster acting. Has been known to trigger paranoia/anxiety in a lot of folks.

Yea, not as warm or comfortable. I'll just state my experiences.

First time I did this I smoked 2 bowls or something (was sharing, naturally). Got some awful anxiety/worst headaches ever.

Second time I did 3. Still awful awful headaches, and nasty anxiety.

I then did 1 bowl. This was the highest I had ever been, which was fucked up since I'd done much more weed in one sitting/throughout a day before. I then proceeded to smoke 3 more bowls. No headaches, no anxiety, I was just too fucked up to drive. Happy as hell though, was out in a forest with my best friend and girlfriend.

I suppose I'm just worried about long term effects, and I can't remember what's in it. I'll have to ask my friend in the know. I only smoke 1/week though, so I don't feel like I could be hurting myself too bad. So far, this stuff works way better than weed for me. I'm finally feeling the effects all of my stoner friends rave about.

Plus, with the good highs I'm feeling, I won't feel a need to try anything harder. It just seems a little too good to be true, ya know?

Guest hahathhat

i never liked this stuff, primarily because of the smell. i've always loathed potpurri !

Lol, it doesn't smell like potpourri. If it did I think it'd make me feel sick. A potpourri hotbox sounds like the worst thing ever.

It's like weed + something sweet but not antique shop-y.

In my experience there is no substitute. I've tried that gold whatever it's called, hops, and a bunch of other stuff which escapes me now if that says anything about the memorable experience. If you can get weed, smoke it. If not, take the opportunity to get off the awful stuff. I never make any effort thanks to this stuff.

i was under the impression that synthetics got banned for good just a few months ago. (the JWH's and HU's)... everything i used to see at the local head shops had been pulled, but i haven't been back yet real recently. i suppose the distributors just find a new chemical that hasn't been banned yet?

as for why, it's nice to chill out every once in a while if your job requires you to be clean. i don't think anyone is arguing that it's better/equal to the real deal, or that it's good for you.

Guest Space Coyote

The effect is reasonable but the potency is much greater than your average weed. Don't try and do the 'smoke weed all and every day' thing with this. Have a little and wait until you really feel the high start to decrease rather than just smoking more for the satisfaction of smoking more (if you've mixed your weed with tobacco in the past you probably have this) or because of the thinking "well I'm feeling good now, but I'd like to feel great". Less is more with this stuff.

Most importantly, this shit is only a few years old and has not gone through any of the testing or regulations that food or drugs normally have to. There is no research or knowledge of what the long term effects of smoking these new chemicals will do to a person. You are effectively the guinea pig in an uncontrolled experiment that someone else is making money off. Keep in mind that these over-the-counter 'legal weed' are no different than any other RESEARCH CHEMICAL. Without wanting to condone it, you'd almost be safer taking a dose of morphine compared to this stuff considering we know the effects of that and when done with the proper precautions and safety measures you have little to worry about it.

Personally I don't like the idea of all of that so I avoid it. However I don't think there would be any significant damage to be done if you were to smoke it regularly, no moreso than the effects of smoking a lot of really potent weed. If you're only using it sparingly and on occasion then I'd like to think you should have nothing to worry about. Also, as tempting as it may be, it would be safer to avoid combining it with other drugs as it may be relatively benign by itself but could become toxic when mixed with something else.

TL;DR - No-one really knows much about this drug other than from their own experiences and 2nd and 3rd hand stories from others. It hasn't been around for anywhere near as long as just about any other drug available. Be safe and responsible - use it sparingly and avoid combining it with other drugs.

Can do will do.

It's just so goddamn cheap, and I'm so sick of dealing with shitty dealers. I live in a small town, it's not easy to make connections with a decent dealer.

Fuck, highschool girls have been my dealers for the past couple of years, if that puts anything into perspective.

Guest underscore

i always had a hook up for real stuff, so never bothered. i just moved to southern nv though, which means i will be taking a break for quite a while i suppose. i don't really have any desire to try this stuff, i just really enjoy vaping some real dank. cool that other people are enjoying it though. :beer:

- cool story bro

Guest Space Coyote

Can do will do.

It's just so goddamn cheap, and I'm so sick of dealing with shitty dealers. I live in a small town, it's not easy to make connections with a decent dealer.

Fuck, highschool girls have been my dealers for the past couple of years, if that puts anything into perspective.

Sounds like you've got a hook up and you should roll with it. Shitty weed is shitty weed. Research chems are ???

I don't have a hook up though. I never can get any when I want it. If I ask for weed I could get it in a week or in over 2 months. They're awful. I've contacted them several times for the past 3 months, and they just say they don't have any. I seem them at the store sometimes and they're high out of their mind. And it's not like I'm a bitch or anything, I probably ask them for new weed once every 4 months.

My bearded breakcore/acid (the music, not the drug) loving friend then told me about the local smoke shop, and the rest is history.

Now I just have to go to the store.

the last time i tried any of that over the counter weed alternative crap was about a year ago, some kid came over and brought some over, I honestly can't remember what it was called, but he just swore by it and was going on and on about how much better than pot it is. We smoked some out of a bong and then a pipe and all i can say about it is it tasted horrible, didn't give me virtually anything close to a high, but I felt dizzy and uncomfortable. Fuck all that garbage.

When I was in high school a long time ago a friend of mine got that wizard smoke bullshit from a high times magazine and it was the same experience only worse. Extremely harsh smoke and made you nauseous more than anything. It's like the people that are manufacturing this shit think getting high is the equivalent of huffing paint. I can't believe people buy this shit up.

it's pretty effective stuff. feels pretty similar to weed, but doesn't last as long. I agree with the all the unknown dangers so I don't use the stuff anymore. but anyone who says it's just another "legal weed" scam doesn't know what they are talking about. you can get pretty high on this stuff, but at what cost?

Guest Space Coyote

the last time i tried any of that over the counter weed alternative crap was about a year ago, some kid came over and brought some over, I honestly can't remember what it was called, but he just swore by it and was going on and on about how much better than pot it is. We smoked some out of a bong and then a pipe and all i can say about it is it tasted horrible, didn't give me virtually anything close to a high, but I felt dizzy and uncomfortable. Fuck all that garbage.

When I was in high school a long time ago a friend of mine got that wizard smoke bullshit from a high times magazine and it was the same experience only worse. Extremely harsh smoke and made you nauseous more than anything. It's like the people that are manufacturing this shit think getting high is the equivalent of huffing paint. I can't believe people buy this shit up.

My understanding is there are two types of 'legal weed'. There is the horrible stuff that use to be advertised in High Times and (at least in the pictures) actually looks like 'bud' and it provides the effects your describe. Usually more throat-wretchingly coughy and headachey more than anything else. Then there is the stuff that has started circulating 2002-2004ish (according to my beloved wikipedia) which at best looks like finely chopped weed only with little bits of other plant matter you wouldn't normally want to see in your weed - and that is laced with one or a couple of these research chemicals (JWH-018 or HU-210). Now keeping in mind what has been said about the 'unknowns' of these drugs, perhaps you did get the Spice/R.C. stuff the last time you smoked. Not sure why what you had tasted so bad though.

My overall point is that for a lot of people the newer, research chemical laced, products really successfully imitate the weed high. My experience was that I could tell something was different but I couldn't put my finger on what. I eventually narrowed it down to that the usual grossness from smoking and slight potential for anxiety/paranoia were almost entirely absent which was an amazing plus before I started thinking about the general dangers of research chemicals and how much I normally smoke weed.

I don't want to deny your experiences and it sounds like you've acknowledged a distinction between the more recent attempt and the time in high school but I felt I had to comment. A few people I've described Spice/etc. to almost immediately wrote it off as being the old High Times all-headache no-buzz stuff.

Archived