IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

actually protein combining is a myth, or at least in a way.

it is not true that by combining food sources you somehow absorb a complete protein and receive the full spectrum of amino acids.

it is true, however, that protein needs are not difficult to meet while eating a varied veggie diet.

but if you don't have a problem eating animals, meat is by far a more efficient source of protein and amino acids.

and butter is an excellent source of my personal favorite, fatty acids.

i havent been biking as much as i have been, but ive still been lifting every other day and chowin down on a nice whey-protein chocomilk concoction...and i can see the results. im not cut (except for my abdomen, starting to get very defined)...and im still maintaing my weight, but im looking skinnier and feeling a lot bulkier in terms of muscle mass.

cmon guys keep it ups!

Guest fiznuthian

:beer: sr4

some cool borderline vegetarian dishes i whipped up lately that would be great almost cheat foods:

- whole grain pasta, boil it -> throw in butter, milk -> insert sharp cheddar -> melt it

felt ghetto as fuck making this but then i went for a good bike ride and WOW. rocket fuel down the hatch..

- 12-15 grain french toast..

mix eggs in bowl -> dip bread in egg -> butter pan liberally -> cook it -> no syrup, just pour butter all over it

some high octane shit man..

i will warn that i exercise at high intensities pretty much daily so i don't know if this is necessary for moderate exercise.

if i didn't cycle up hills constantly i'd probably revert back to a no grain, meat/veg/fruit diet.

a carbohydrate such as grain is proving useful however.

Can some explain complete proteins to me? I understand that you need a lot of different kinds of protein, but what's the benefit of having them at once? Is "beans and rice" any better for you than "beans then rice"?

Guest fiznuthian

there are 9 essential amino acids that you must receive from food. animal meat protein contains all 9 of the amino acids.

what is important is that the concept of protein and amino acids isn't a black and white affair.

animal protein has all of the essential amino acids in quantity that most efficiently supplies your body's needs.

the twist is that there are actually some plant sources of complete protein, but these proteins do not contain sufficient quantity of every amino acid you need and can't synthesize on your own.

thus they are deemed inefficient, and not necessarily considered complete protein per say.

but if you eat sufficient quantity and variety of vegetable protein sources, its perfectly possible to meet your body's daily need.

there are 9 essential amino acids that you must receive from food. animal meat protein contains all 9 of the amino acids.

what is important is that the concept of protein and amino acids isn't a black and white affair.

animal protein has all of the essential amino acids in quantity that most efficiently supplies your body's needs.

the twist is that there are actually some plant sources of complete protein, but these proteins do not contain sufficient quantity of every amino acid you need and can't synthesize on your own.

thus they are deemed inefficient, and not necessarily considered complete protein per say.

but if you eat sufficient quantity and variety of vegetable protein sources, its perfectly possible to meet your body's daily need.

What if you eat a lot of one amino acid on one day, and a lot of another amino acid the next day, on a 9 day cycle?

Guest fiznuthian

What if you eat a lot of one amino acid on one day, and a lot of another amino acid the next day, on a 9 day cycle?

honestly i have no idea, but my best guess would be it depends on your lifestyle. if you're mostly sedentary your need for amino acids will likely diminish to low requirements.

if you exercise frequently, the use of amino acids for repair and healing functions accelerates and replenishment becomes important.

being a vegan athlete requires careful attention to protein sources i would imagine.

however the couch potato vegan will likely get by without a hitch.

there are a few plant protein sources that have a decent amino acid arsenal, and sticking to them would be your best bet as a vegan/veggie.

everything else should be consumed not for protein and amino acids but for fleshing out your macronutrient intake.

generally i gauge my needs by how sore, tired, fatigued, and worn i am.

if my body needs rest, it also needs protein and thus a full spectrum of amino acids.

fitz, you seem pretty in the know about this, would you mind describing your daily workout activities?

im wondering how much is too much, or too little, vice versa.

Guest fiznuthian

lol i wake up, eat 300 mg of rhodeola rosea like a sherpa

then chase it with a 500 mg dose of cordyceps CS-4 mushroom extract like a tibetan

pound down 32 oz of fruit blending into a smoothie with kale/spinach by the handful and chia seeds

usually i'll go for a good walk or hike to allow everything to digest and prime

then at some point in my day i go cycling, pushing myself to high intensities for anywhere between 1 hour to 4 hours sometimes more

post exercise go home, eat as much burger, butter, milk, cheese etc as i can stand.. my body eats it up.

i'll snack on fruit and vegetables periodically throughout the day,

lettuce, cucumber, perhaps some berries or grapes

then get a good nights sleep.

now this is a routine that i perform anywhere between 2 to 7 days a week, depending on what kind of shape i want to be.

honestly at this point 7 days a week isn't necessary, even a couple times of week keeps me ready for most exercise intensities and duration.

on off days i just cycle some, run around with my dog, do some yoga, etc.. moderate exercise but consistently throughout my day.

all of this results in a very satisfactory condition of fitness. i don't participate in marathons or triathlons and such currently,

so my routine is scaled back some.

i could easily clear a good 5-10 mile run though, and keep a conversation while scaling a mountain on my bike.

there was a time when i was eating lots of fish, vegetables, and fruit and going from a sedentary lifestyle it took my no more than a month to reach 5 miles per day on my run.

some days more.

this was on top of a 1-2 hour swim, endless pushups and curlups and pullups throughout the day.

i also was ingesting cordyceps mushroom, fish oil, beneficial gut bacteria, and other mushroom supplements.

the change in my physique and stamina was fast, efficient, and i had never felt more alive.

i experiment a lot with diet and exercise.

Guest fiznuthian

okay i was hesitant to do this but..

p90x_04.jpg

works if you eat well

well, not entirely true. eat the typical american diet on top of P90x

and you will improve, but the process will be difficult.

eat rock solid, treat your food like fuel, and achieving the physique of the people will take considerably less effort and pain.

food can control inflammation extremely well, reduce fatigue and your recoveries.

so spare the chips and soda and lose the "i need 6000 calories so i'm going to eat pizza" attitude if you're going to blow money on p90x dvds

Here's my routine: Mon Chest/Abs, Tues Arms/Legs, Wed Off, Thurs Back/Abs, Fri Shoulders, Sat Arms/Legs, Sun. Off. I would have cardio in there, but I have chronic bronchitis, so when I'm coughing I don't run. I eat lots of protein, and drink a gallon of water a day.

Guest fiznuthian

Here's my routine: Mon Chest/Abs, Tues Arms/Legs, Wed Off, Thurs Back/Abs, Fri Shoulders, Sat Arms/Legs, Sun. Off. I would have cardio in there, but I have chronic bronchitis, so when I'm coughing I don't run. I eat lots of protein, and drink a gallon of water a day.

fuck yeah.

is the routine working well for you?

what improvements have you noticed?

I called off my workout again :rolleyes: I would do a set of simple things every 2nd day (push ups and so on), but after about four weeks I ran out of patience. It did improve my stamina when running and stuff, so that was pretty good.

However, I've lost 30 pounds since April (hopefully for good this time, unlike that high-speed-experiment I did in December) with very little effort and I'm looking to loose another 25-30 in order to be in perfect shape (although that probably requires me to continue my work-out)

Be sure to vary your routines a lot and work in some movements that work multiple muscle groups at once. That should help with the lack of patience. (you're less likely to get bored with more variation and the multi muscle moves will cut down on workout time)

I guess my workout-plan was already designed for lazy people but it still wasn't enough for me :sleep: a friend of mine put it together for me and he's quite an expert on the subject, the 30 pounds I lost I also owe to him. Like I said I did see some positive results rather quickly, I could race my bike to the main train station in under 10 minutes and neither be sweating nor heavily breathing, never could have done that before. But I still got bored with the workout unfortunately.

Guest AcrossCanyons

can somebody explain to me how beneficial vitamins/other supplements are? i've recently been taking fish oil capsules daily because i don't eat any fish and thought it might be a good idea to try to get some of that goodness in me. i've also started taking multivitamins because i figured while i was taking another supplement it couldn't hurt but i don't know if it's just a waste of money or has any real benefit.

obviously i gather vitamins = good but i assume i consume a decent amount of them anyway without the supplement so i don't know if there is any benefit to taking them anyway. (i don't check every content/count of everything i eat but i eat a very average diet/moderately healthy diet)

Guest fiznuthian

vitamins are important yes, but not necessarily in their packaged multi-vitamin form.

the problem is that how much of eat vitamin your body needs is dependent on genetics and your lifestyle, your gut health, etc.

what kinds of foods you eat daily can also hinder or benefit your body's utilization of vitamins and minerals.

to simplify the equation into a multivitamin is really not necessarily, even potentially detrimental in some cases.

a lot of vitamins and minerals are only needed in trace amounts anyway, and some are not needed every day.

but i will say this. as important as they are for physiological health, eating a multi-vitamin and expecting amazing results just isn't going to happen.

eat a varied diet loaded with macronutrients, i.e. plenty of colours. then throw that multi in the garbage.

now fish oil is a different story.

inflammatory disease and inflammation in general is a cause of many problems for many people, whether you're an athlete or average joe.

the omega 3 fatty acids (EHA and DHA) contained in fish oil are heavily involved in process of keeping inflammation at bay.

they are immunomodulatory substances and perform many functions along with omega 6 fatty acids, such as reducing blood clots, suppressing inflammatory reactions,

protecting neurons, controlling triglyceride levels, and a lot more.

of all of the supplements being sold, fish oil is well studied and definitely worth taking on a regular basis, especially if you eat lots of foods high in omega 6 fatty acids.

Guest AcrossCanyons

vitamins are important yes, but not necessarily in their packaged multi-vitamin form.

the problem is that how much of eat vitamin your body needs is dependent on genetics and your lifestyle, your gut health, etc.

what kinds of foods you eat daily can also hinder or benefit your body's utilization of vitamins and minerals.

to simplify the equation into a multivitamin is really not necessarily, even potentially detrimental in some cases.

a lot of vitamins and minerals are only needed in trace amounts anyway, and some are not needed every day.

but i will say this. as important as they are for physiological health, eating a multi-vitamin and expecting amazing results just isn't going to happen.

eat a varied diet loaded with macronutrients, i.e. plenty of colours. then throw that multi in the garbage.

now fish oil is a different story.

inflammatory disease and inflammation in general is a cause of many problems for many people, whether you're an athlete or average joe.

the omega 3 fatty acids (EHA and DHA) contained in fish oil are heavily involved in process of keeping inflammation at bay.

they are immunomodulatory substances and perform many functions along with omega 6 fatty acids, such as reducing blood clots, suppressing inflammatory reactions,

protecting neurons, controlling triglyceride levels, and a lot more.

of all of the supplements being sold, fish oil is well studied and definitely worth taking on a regular basis, especially if you eat lots of foods high in omega 6 fatty acids.

pretty much what i figured on both counts. thanks.

Guest fiznuthian

another workout tip:

smoke quality weed before you workout.

it's a potent bronchodilator enabling you to breathe easier during intense exercise.

whether you enjoy exercising stoned is personal preference i guess.

Archived