IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Promo

I do fuck all exercise these days except for walking too and from work. I use to play bball regularly but haven't for ages so need to get back into it. I don't believe in that muscle building bullshit 'cause I'm hot already lol. ;-)

Almost finished Phase 1 of the P90X workout, got my rest week to go (yoga/core/kenpo).

Results thus far (3 weeks in):

Gained about 5lbs of muscle.

Core is tighter, can see my abs a tiny bit.

A lot stronger (went from 10 pushups to 30, 4 pull-ups to 8, 6 chin ups to 13, etc)

It is a lot of fun!

Guest iamabe

10 to 30 pushups in a month congrats dude. are you able to keep up with the guys in the videos? in phase one i was doing as low as 50% of what they did. even now i have trouble doing 100% of the videos especially abx.

my faves:

kenpo x

shoulders / back

chest / arms

x stretch

ones I hate:

plyo

yoga x

can't stand those two

P90x sounds very interesting...

may have to investigate this!

Also, my girlfriends dad is a fairly famous rock climber, and so we go climb with him from time to time at an indoor climbing gym in the city (a bit expensive, and out of the way for me though) and I love it!

Almost finished Phase 1 of the P90X workout, got my rest week to go (yoga/core/kenpo).

A lot stronger (went from 10 pushups to 30, 4 pull-ups to 8, 6 chin ups to 13, etc)

It is a lot of fun!

this is also what i meant earlier. i can do 40 pushups instead of barely being able to do 20.

i hate going to gyms and i dont have the money to constantly buy new weights...i might just settle for trimming down and toning then.

10 to 30 pushups in a month congrats dude. are you able to keep up with the guys in the videos? in phase one i was doing as low as 50% of what they did. even now i have trouble doing 100% of the videos especially abx.

my faves:

kenpo x

shoulders / back

chest / arms

x stretch

ones I hate:

plyo

yoga x

can't stand those two

lol, yeah well I used to be fairly chubby, then lost a lot of weight and got into pretty good shape, but I needed more muscle, so P90X was the best way to go and I love it.. Yoga is very intense but it works your body well... plyo is just killer haha, so is chest and back..

I can probably do about 60-70% of what they are doing right now, but supposedly Phase 3 is when the major improvements and change start to show

this is also what i meant earlier. i can do 40 pushups instead of barely being able to do 20.

i hate going to gyms and i dont have the money to constantly buy new weights...i might just settle for trimming down and toning then.

Have you tried P90X though? Because we do a lot more than 40 pushups, and not only regular pushups.. we do diamond/wide/military/decline pushups

Guest fiznuthian

i haven't quite pinned down exactly when or why, but if i do not exercise after eating them i become heavily sedated by either one of or more of the compounds present.

so you wouldn't recommend either of them to somebody who doesn't exercise heavily?

i would think there is no point wasting money on them if you are sedentary, they're not terribly cheap.

if you spend some time trying to be healthy its probably worth investigating.

i have only tried some supplements, mushroom extracts mostly.

i haven't been eating fish oil, vitamin D, or anything else for a while. then decided to try rhodiola and cordyceps together

after i saw a product being marketed to pro-cyclists in a magazine containing the combination. so i ate some and went mountain biking,

and felt absolutely fantastic climbing hills and powering through technical sections.

there's nothing narcotic about them, it's more or less a feeling

of being able to breath easier, more relaxed and in control, and a heavily delayed onset of fatigue.

It is a lot of fun!

alright, i'm going to add some P90X to my week i think.

a friend has the DVDs, is that all i need? and some free weights?

Guest iamabe

with p90x, how much room do you need by your tv and what kind of stuff do you need, dumbbells? pull up bar?

Kenpo X and Plyometrics (jumping shit) require like a good living room sized space, like maybe 7'x7' or bigger. Otherwise I do all other exercises in my tiny bedroom in front of my desk. i got like 3'x8' of floor spcae to do this shit.

get a yoga mat if you have a hardwood floor. ALso if you have an apartment above someone else, at first you might be worried about making loud noise every day. Either tell your neighbors or learn to make soft landings, and get sometihng soft to drop your weights on.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I had a look and it seems you need a barbell and some weights, some sort of resistance elastic cord and a pull up bar. I live in a flat with floors made out of cardboard and I can't fit a pull up bar anywhere. I might 'find' the videos and see if I can do any of it at the gym.

At the gym last night I saw this guy (he is what I'd call a gym guy, I believe he is an amateur fighter of some sort) putting on two tracksuits and heading in to the pool area with the hoods up tied tight like Kenny, so either he was going swimming with clothes on or going into the sauna but I don't know why you'd do either, any ideas?

rapid weight loss. he is trying to make weight for something is my guess.

thanks iamabe. I'm going to look into them. how long dies each session take?

Guest Coalbucket PI

That can't last very long, surely? You'd just be dehydrating yourself. Sounds ghaaaastly darling

PS

p90x is every day but since its usually just 60-90 mins...

Guest Iain C

i'm doing couch to 5k in a (probably misguided) attempt to get fit. i'm not overweight or anything, but i've never been fit and the thought of being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping fills me with a giddy kind of joy.

i'm just about to start the second week tonight. it's been fairly easy going so far, but i'm really enjoying just taking 30 minutes to retreat into my own head a bit as the pavement disappears beneath my feet.

Guest Coalbucket PI

i'm doing couch to 5k in a (probably misguided) attempt to get fit. i'm not overweight or anything, but i've never been fit and the thought of being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping fills me with a giddy kind of joy.

i'm just about to start the second week tonight. it's been fairly easy going so far, but i'm really enjoying just taking 30 minutes to retreat into my own head a bit as the pavement disappears beneath my feet.

I knew a great big fat lass (boss-eyed too, not that it matters) who did that in 9 weeks so you should probably be able to do it in a month. Its actually surprising how quickly you can add distance to your runs, but I think you smoke (?) and if you're like me you'll notice shortness of breath being worse then tiredness after a while, it made me decide to give up (almost) when I started running.

That can't last very long, surely? You'd just be dehydrating yourself. Sounds ghaaaastly darling

PS

p90x is every day but since its usually just 60-90 mins...

he was probably about to weigh in and needed to drop a pound or two. yea the point is to sweat out all water weight and then rehydrate after the weigh in.

60-90 minutes a day, 5 days a week i assume?

Guest Iain C

I knew a great big fat lass (boss-eyed too, not that it matters) who did that in 9 weeks so you should probably be able to do it in a month. Its actually surprising how quickly you can add distance to your runs, but I think you smoke (?) and if you're like me you'll notice shortness of breath being worse then tiredness after a while, it made me decide to give up (almost) when I started running.

I do smoke and have done for about ten years. But these days I smoke less than ten cigarettes a day (from a high point of about 30, three or four years ago) so it's really only a matter of time until I pack them in for good.

p90x seems like the extreme end of exercise to me. i dont want to completely change my life, just work out now and then. though it is annoying to find out that i need to spend far more money if i want to get bigger arms.

i had good success with a decent diet, dumbbells and an elliptical machine 4 days a week last year. i have since moved from my condo which had a gym. since then i turned into a fattening father turning grey with a bad back. but i am just about fully recovered from my back surgery and looking to shed about 10 pounds and tighten up again. p90x might be a bit too much for me to start out though.

This might be a incredible stupid question:

But is beer more weight gaining than driking liquor, or is there some sort of alcohol that's less fattening than others? I have changed my lifestyle and what i eat. But i find it hard to stop drinking, just because i wan't to lose weight. And It's not very accepted where i'm from to not be drinking, and It's honestly something i'm not ready to give up on. lol.

Archived