IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm running a 5k on saturday, my first ever organized event, and i'm a bit nervous about the entire thing. anyone else ever done any runs (fun or otherwise)?

Is it pretty flat or are there hills. ??

i'm running a 5k on saturday, my first ever organized event, and i'm a bit nervous about the entire thing. anyone else ever done any runs (fun or otherwise)?

Is it pretty flat or are there hills. ??

5krun.jpg

mapmyrun link

the route i usually take close to my house doesn't have near the elevation changes as this one, but it's a pretty short distance and i've been running over 5k every other day for a while now (and cycling on the off days).

i've heard that this event has hundreds of participants, and that the route is lined with spectators, that might be interesting.

I've ran a couple of races. The fact that you are running alongside many other people gives you more energy and adrenaline that keeps you going for longer. At least that is what I felt.

Guest superiorinferior

I was so good for a solid 2 weeks and then I just ruined my schedule. I suck at being committed to working out.

Guest Iain C

I've been doing Couch to 5K for 3 weeks now and figured it was about time I started doing some strength training as well. So 3 times a week, I'm doing 3 sets of pullups (boosting off a chair to start with), pushups (from the knee), lunges (about 15) and crunches (ditto).

Obviously I've always been a skinny and weak guy. But I'm determined to get both fit and strong. It's actually fun.

Capsulated extract, made by New Chapter. I'm switching to Verde Botanica's products next,

their laboratory is very carefully designed. Unlike most standardized extracts which isolate only a few of the compounds in the plant,

their lab creates a product that still has almost every known compound discovered in Rhodiola intact.

From what I hear this makes a big difference in quality and how a person feels after ingesting them.

I just ran out of my last batch and can't wait to get more.

While I am by and large skeptical of 99% of the supplement industry, I will take fish oil, vitamin D and some others,

and pre/probiotic bacteria. Everything else does pretty much nothing.

Rhodiola is different though, its something that is not just noticable but extremely effective. No wonder soviets spent decades researching this plant, it's fucking ridiculous for endurance.

I just got some New Chapter 300mg extract based on your reccomendation. 2 days in and I take one capsule in the morning. Hard to tell if it makes a diffeence yet.

Capsulated extract, made by New Chapter. I'm switching to Verde Botanica's products next,

their laboratory is very carefully designed. Unlike most standardized extracts which isolate only a few of the compounds in the plant,

their lab creates a product that still has almost every known compound discovered in Rhodiola intact.

From what I hear this makes a big difference in quality and how a person feels after ingesting them.

While I am by and large skeptical of 99% of the supplement industry, I will take fish oil, vitamin D and some others,

Rhodiola is different though, its something that is not just noticable but extremely effective. No wonder soviets spent decades researching this plant, it's fucking ridiculous for endurance.

I just got some New Chapter 300mg extract based on your reccomendation. 2 days in and I take one capsule in the morning. Hard to tell if it makes a diffeence yet.

Yeah I tried it out of curiosity. On one day I experienced what might of been a boost of energy, but to be honest I can't tell if I wasn't just energetic on that day for other reasons. I've tried other days on and days off and haven't noticed much of a different.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been doing Couch to 5K for 3 weeks now and figured it was about time I started doing some strength training as well. So 3 times a week, I'm doing 3 sets of pullups (boosting off a chair to start with), pushups (from the knee), lunges (about 15) and crunches (ditto).

Obviously I've always been a skinny and weak guy. But I'm determined to get both fit and strong. It's actually fun.

Good stuff man. Keep it up. I would do some bodyweight squats as well. Squats are a great all around exercise.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Been cycling daily recently until I signed myself up back up to the gym yesterday. Now I'll be dropping the cardio down to the days inbetween the gym days.

Exercising is really addictive. I want to go in again today (went yesterday) but I know it'll probably end up with me taking more time out of the gym by overdoing it. Gotta start slow. Been nearly two years since I've been.

Guest Shockerbrown

Yeah i'm doing fitness 2/3 times a week for over a year now. I'm feeling fit, obviously. Epic winning. Period.

Been hugely miserable in the last week so decided to get off my arse and get back to the gym. Proper sorted my eating habits as well, can already see the weight disappearing, feels good to be healthy, let's hope I keep it up for at least... forever this time.

• 3 months later...

For those that are looking for something interesting - the crossfit stuff is pretty intense and offers a lot of variety:

http://www.crossfit.com/

http://www.crossfit..../excercise.html

i do crossfit :) i started in august, the first two months were a werld of pain 24/7 now its pain only 12/3.5

yeah im super skeptical too. i trust new chapter stuff, i take a multivitamin and omega 3s i try to balance out the 3s to 6s ratio as best i can. also i take iron cuz im anemic in liquid form that is german called floradix also has a bunch of b vitamins, its supposed to be the best one i read others dont even absorb and also fuck up digestion. but yeah i agree it has to be super high quality and taken in the right way or else it does nothing

also i stopped drinking since the beginning of last june

but i started smoking again in august

god what thread is this?

here's my attempt at a decent workout regimen, done every other day or 2 of 3 days. i was doing good until i sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball last weekend.

80 situps

80 leg ups from dip position

2-4 sets of 3-5 pullups (all i can do)

30-40 pushups (also all i can do)

40 hindu squats/lunges

10+ dips (i'm usually pretty tired by that time so maybe not even 10)

i split it into 2 sets

Guest Franklin

In case anybody wants a bit more info on R. Rosea (FIZ im looking at you). This is an except from volume 39 of the journal Intelligence:

1.5. R. Rosea (RR)

RR is a popular plant in traditional medicinal systems in Eastern Europe and Asia and has been used for enhancing central nervous system activity ( [Lazarova et al., 1986] and [Petkov et al., 1986] ), decreasing depression (Kelly, 2001), enhancing work performance (Azizov & Seifulla, 1998), eliminating fatigue (Darbinyan et al., 2000), and preventing high altitude sickness (Petkov, et al., 1986). RR has the ability to influence levels and activity of monoamines and opioid peptides, such as beta-endorphins (Kelly, 2001) and facilitates the transport of neurotransmitters within the brain. There is also evidence to suggest that RR acts as a free radical scavenger (Lee et al., 2000), and contains multiple components that act as ChEIs, most notably the flavonoid glycosides (Hillhouse, Ming, French, & Towers, 2004). RR has been categorised as an adaptogen due to its observed ability to increase resistance to a variety of chemical, biological and physical stressors (Kelly, 2001). It has also been considered to have cardio-protective properties (Maslova, Kondrat'ev, Maslov, & Lishmanov, 1994) and enhances central nervous system activity ( [Lazarova et al., 1986] and [Petkov et al., 1986] ). Following 20 days administration, RR was found to significantly improve physical fitness, psychomotor function, mental performance and general wellbeing in students (Spasov, Wikman, Mandrikov, Mironova, & Neumoin, 2000). Additionally, statistically significant reductions in mental fatigue, improved sleep patterns; a reduced need for sleep, greater mood stability and a greater motivation to study has been attributed to this herb (Spasov, et al., 2000). In a double blind study by Darbinyan et al. (2000), the standardized RR extract SHR-5 at 170 mg/day for two weeks was found to bring about improvements in short term memory, attention and visual and auditory perception speeds in young physicians. In an open label study in elderly adults by Fintelmann and Gruenwald (2007), RR supplementation over a 12 week period was found to bring about improved cognitive performance in a majority of participants.

Guest umop_apisdn

I do as many pushups as I can every morning when I wake up, and as many as I can once again before I hop into bed (used to do sit-ups/crunches too, but then my belly went to cramping real bad). At work, I'm fortunate to have some weights, so I switch it up what I do with them, pretty much pushing myself till my arms/legs/body parts feel like jelly. The days I feel sore (not so often, usually when I figure out a new way to do something), I usually take a day off. Been workin pretty well, but now I just wanna stop smoking so I can start doing some jogging after work.

i had to stop my exercise routine for some time after having a close call (sorta).

I tore a muscle group right above my heart from all the constant cardio and thought i was having a panic attack...so a ton of painkillers later im sort of afraid to get back into that routine.

apparently im in the best shape ive been in since high school. still havent had a cig or weed for almost 8 months now.

I go to the gym about once a week now. I wish I could go 2-3 times, but school is pretty busy this semester, and I am averaging 5-6 hours of sleep, which isn't sufficient. Busy and tired, so I'm doing less than I'd like. Once school is done, I really want to ramp it up, including a new diet (gonna try to put on a few pounds). It also hasn't helped that I've battled a cold on and off for over a month now.

I was doing a lot more bicycling, doing 5 miles each way to school, with some tough SF hills, but it's getting pretty damned cold, and I'm not sure im up for that.

Archived