IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

yeah...i think the poverty and insane amounts of work is preventing my ability to eat healthy/workout more frequently...all this medication really screwed up my finances.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pullups have definitely been the most effective exercise i've tried to date. basically anything that involves lifting your entire weight and moving it around is good.

If you can't get to a gym, then pull-ups are one of the best exercises you can do. But try getting to a gym.

here's my attempt at a decent workout regimen, done every other day or 2 of 3 days. i was doing good until i sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball last weekend.

80 situps

80 leg ups from dip position

2-4 sets of 3-5 pullups (all i can do)

30-40 pushups (also all i can do)

40 hindu squats/lunges

10+ dips (i'm usually pretty tired by that time so maybe not even 10)

i split it into 2 sets

I don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but that program doesn't seem optimal (though it depends on what your goals are). I would recommend following an existing program like SimpleFit (basic) or Convict Conditioning (more advanced). Those are well-known programs with primarily bodyweight exercises.

Yeah, gaining some weight will require a fairly significant increase in my food budget.

I hope you don't let that deter you. There are always sacrifices to be made when working towards a goal. Anyway, some cheap sources of protein and calories include tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, and milk.

Good luck with everyone's fitness goals :)

here's my attempt at a decent workout regimen, done every other day or 2 of 3 days. i was doing good until i sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball last weekend.

80 situps

80 leg ups from dip position

2-4 sets of 3-5 pullups (all i can do)

30-40 pushups (also all i can do)

40 hindu squats/lunges

10+ dips (i'm usually pretty tired by that time so maybe not even 10)

i split it into 2 sets

I don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but that program doesn't seem optimal (though it depends on what your goals are). I would recommend following an existing program like SimpleFit (basic) or Convict Conditioning (more advanced). Those are well-known programs with primarily bodyweight exercises.

just took a quick look at simplefit, seems like my workout with a lot less. i mean the last day can be intense but i could probably do 60-80 squats and only 10-20 pullups and 30 pushups at a time, so level 4 would be almost impossible for my arms and my legs would be fine, and i could probably do the last level of squats (15-50-100).

i don't really know anything about working out and i'm a total noob and open to suggestions. i'm really unflexible and i try to stretch but it's a long hard road as i've been pretty sedentary for a while (idm). i get cardio by running with my dog and playing tennis/biking/basketball/hiking. i'm trying to build muscle and just be more healthy/flexible/strong.

i just downloaded the power90 workout and will probably try p90x afterwords, but my ankle is busted pretty bad so anything with jumping or balancing on one leg is sketchy for the next month+.

fuck star wars 1 is sooooo bad wtf

just saw the intermediate excercises on simplefit, looks more my speed and the advanced ones are beyond me so i think i'll start on intermediate. but why is that more effective than mine?

One thing I noticed is that your program had no lower back exercises. And I think planks are better than sit-ups. I also didn't like that you were doing 80 sit-ups and leg-ups - if you can do 80, then it means that exercise is too easy for you. Apart from that I'd say the main advantage to using a program like SimpleFit or p90 is the well-defined progression.

Try getting an ankle brace so you can work out more safely.

Category_Ankle_Braces_Maximum_support.jpg

• 2 months later...

seems like you do several different kinds of pull ups. I'm not sure if you have to do them along with the DVD or later be ause I'd rather put it in my basement than in the main house area.

no it's not a pull up bar

i'm talking about doing pull ups on the upper ledge of doorframe itself. the more narrow the ledge the harder.

btw sounds like those ps90x guys got it pretty well thunked out, real fans

no it's not a pull up bar

i'm talking about doing pull ups on the upper ledge of doorframe itself. the more narrow the ledge the harder.

btw sounds like those ps90x guys got it pretty well thunked out, real fans

harder.. on your fingers?

pullups have definitely been the most effective exercise i've tried to date. basically anything that involves lifting your entire weight and moving it around is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vW07ut0cKU

nice.

[youtubehd]OT_zbo27aTI[/youtubehd]

can't wait for the snow to melt.

• 4 weeks later...

can't you overdo protein in your diet? from what I understand your body can only really absorb around 14g and converts the rest to sugar which becomes fat.

also what is the consensus on creatine in small doses?

can't you overdo protein in your diet? from what I understand your body can only really absorb around 14g and converts the rest to sugar which becomes fat.

also what is the consensus on creatine in small doses?

it is possible to overdo it on the protein, but you would generally have to really try hard. excessive protein consumption is problematic for the kidneys from what i remember. as long as you're not constantly slamming protein shakes and eating steaks at every meal, you're probably alright. but i don't think that the protein->sugar->fat conversion is what happens.

as far as creatine goes,most of the scientific community of kinesiology/exercise researchers consider it to be pretty safe. in my experience, i do think it works really well, provided the rest of your diet is in good order. but there are currently many products combining creatine and stimulants; as you would imagine, that stuff would not be safe in large doses.

Archived