IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

I'm going mad on the gym at the moment. Why did I never realise that it's fantastic if you're pissed off with other things in your life? I think I'd be an alchoholic right now if I wasn't working out

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i act'a fool the treadmill..medicine ball, jumping while running (did anyone used to train like that?) where you do long strides but push up and bend down to get height, its good to do to prevent shin splints

im taking part in RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ..a 5k obstacle ZOMBIE course! so i need to find a training buddy. anyone in OC area? doubt it. lawlz

Guest some letters

Why did I never realise that it's fantastic if you're pissed off with other things in your life?

This, exactly. Store everything that pisses you off and release it at the gym.

Fill your mind with anger and lust and self-hatred, put on some vsnares/enduser/xanopticon etc, turn the volume on your mp3 player to max and build your own private temple of pain.

im taking part in RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ..a 5k obstacle ZOMBIE course!

will that actually be good exercise? considering zombies just sort of shuffle around and whatnot

• 1 month later...
Guest capitan mission

yeah, intense circuit like training and run. I dont listen to music while unning, if Im doing weights I listen to Katy Perry or slipknot : )

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Just about every other day I've been hitting a heavy bag really intensely, little bit of weights, pull ups, push ups, P90x Ab Ripper X 15 minute routine sprints and running about 3 miles in mile long bursts as fast as I can go. That's pretty much all I've been doing, getting a lot better results than when i had a gym membership for 2 years. I wasn't getting enough cardio with my bad knee before is the biggest difference, if i just lift weights I get bigger but never toned. Really fucking hoping my knee lets me keep running for another 3 months and I will be at my goal and find other ways for cardio. Hitting the heavy bag really crazy can actually be insane cardio but I like running more.

I try to consume as little white trash carbs as I can (refined sugars, white noodles, white bread etc. etc.) So my carbs are mostly vegetables and some high fiber oatmeal. Eggs are cheap protien and I try to eat a few a day. I drink quite a lot of iced tea which I usually make from 2 bags of green tea and 1 bag of chai tea.

I'm having a hard time completely staying away from drinking, I go on and off with smoking cigs but I've minimized it quite a lot.

Just about every other day I've been hitting a heavy bag really intensely, little bit of weights, pull ups, push ups, P90x Ab Ripper X 15 minute routine sprints and running about 3 miles in mile long bursts as fast as I can go. That's pretty much all I've been doing, getting a lot better results than when i had a gym membership for 2 years. I wasn't getting enough cardio with my bad knee before is the biggest difference, if i just lift weights I get bigger but never toned. Really fucking hoping my knee lets me keep running for another 3 months and I will be at my goal and find other ways for cardio. Hitting the heavy bag really crazy can actually be insane cardio but I like running more.

I try to consume as little white trash carbs as I can (refined sugars, white noodles, white bread etc. etc.) So my carbs are mostly vegetables and some high fiber oatmeal. Eggs are cheap protien and I try to eat a few a day. I drink quite a lot of iced tea which I usually make from 2 bags of green tea and 1 bag of chai tea.

I'm having a hard time completely staying away from drinking, I go on and off with smoking cigs but I've minimized it quite a lot.

Sounds like you're doing a great job to me! I would like to have a heavy bag but have no space for it.

Do you eat whole eggs, or buy the egg whites stuff? I only ask because I read somewhere that 1 egg yolk has your RDI of cholesterol for a day. =(

Edit: as for your knee problem, I have a similar issue. I bought a cheap exercise bike and elliptical too, they are low impact and I get a pretty good workout off em...

Guest fiznuthian

Sounds like you're doing a great job to me! I would like to have a heavy bag but have no space for it.

Do you eat whole eggs, or buy the egg whites stuff? I only ask because I read somewhere that 1 egg yolk has your RDI of cholesterol for a day. =(

Edit: as for your knee problem, I have a similar issue. I bought a cheap exercise bike and elliptical too, they are low impact and I get a pretty good workout off em...

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on serum cholesterol. In other words, how much you eat does not cause little dense LDL production to skyrocket. Cholesterol is a very healthy molecule to consume.

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on serum cholesterol. In other words, how much you eat does not cause little dense LDL production to skyrocket. Cholesterol is a very healthy molecule to consume.

That's very interesting, I did not know that. So, everyone gets psyched up about the egg-white omellettes etc for no reason! (other than a bit less fat I guess!)

That's awesome, I'm going back to whole eggs. They taste better + omegas, plus I think cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone in some way or another (do you know more about this?)

:emotawesomepm9:

Guest Anthrax

My routine: (Mon) 4 mile run (Tue) 3.5 mile interval run (sprint 30 seconds, jog 30 seconds) + weights. (Wed) Break (Thursday) 6 mile run (Friday) 4 mile run + weights (Sat) 5 mile run including a few hills or break considering how I feel. (Sun) Break.

For weights it's a fairly quick routine. I do dumbells overhead, pushups, crunches, then a pullupbar in quick succession no breaks in between. Take a minute break then two more sets of the whole thing.

To monitor what I eat use an app called "The Eatery". You basically take a picture of what you are about to eat, which is uploaded to the app, where people can rate it from 0 to 10 (10 being the healthiest). It's just a way to make you more aware of what goes in.

I don't have to bother paying or planning for exercise, i get it all at work shoveling and walking up and down stairs and inclines. and i get paid for it. after 12 hours i'm beat and feel great!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

That's very interesting, I did not know that. So, everyone gets psyched up about the egg-white omellettes etc for no reason! (other than a bit less fat I guess!)

That's awesome, I'm going back to whole eggs. They taste better + omegas, plus I think cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone in some way or another (do you know more about this?)

I don't know a whole lot about incomplete/complete protiens but just the egg whites are an incomplete protien. Look up the benifit and sources of the complete variation and get yo mind righ dawg (I need to as well). I know that quinoa (which I need to buy soon) is a complete protien, brown rice and black beans make a complete protien etc. etc.

Guest cult fiction

I'm going mad on the gym at the moment. Why did I never realise that it's fantastic if you're pissed off with other things in your life? I think I'd be an alchoholic right now if I wasn't working out

0920nin.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about incomplete/complete protiens but just the egg whites are an incomplete protien. Look up the benifit and sources of the complete variation and get yo mind righ dawg (I need to as well). I know that quinoa (which I need to buy soon) is a complete protien, brown rice and black beans make a complete protien etc. etc.

Thanks for the info man, I'm going to look some of this stuff up (never even heard of quinoa!). I haven't paid enough attention to diet. I get a ton of exercise but maybe if I look some of this stuff up it will give me the extra edge I need.

:emotawesomepm9:

ive been doing pullups for about 4 weeks now and i am still where i started. so damn frustrating.

also, i really really need to add cardio to my routine but everything seems to aggravate my back. i need an elliptical machine.

i used to run but that really was the literal straw that finally broke my back. i had success with the elliptical machine but i haven't done any cardio since my back surgery last june. lots of ab workouts that i try (crunches, leg lifts, etc) hurt my back as well.

if i continue on the pace right now, i will have most of my body in shape except for my belly. that is not cool.

can't you overdo protein in your diet? from what I understand your body can only really absorb around 14g and converts the rest to sugar which becomes fat.

also what is the consensus on creatine in small doses?

Most experts believe that most people get more than enough protein daily. In fact, some believe the average sedentary American eats about 50% more than the recommended daily amount, which ranges from 40-70 grams each day depending on your gender, age and situation.

If you're an exerciser, however, your protein needs may increase since resistance training and endurance workouts can rapidly break down muscle protein. A position statement published by the ADA, DOC and ACSM recommends that endurance and strength-trained athletes have between 1.2 and 1.7 g/kg (0.5 - 0.8 grams per pound) of protein for the best performance and health.

What if you're trying to build more muscle? Shouldn't you eat even more protein? Not necessarily. There's evidence that bodybuilders, much like exercisers or athletes, do require more protein but that any more than double the RDA won't necessarily help you build more muscle. In one study, experts studied three groups of weight lifters: A low protein group (0.86 g/kg), a moderate protein group (1.40 g/kg) and a high protein group (2.40 g/kg) and found that, "There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass."

In essence, the more you exercise, the greater your protein needs will be. However, taking it too far, for example more than doubling your protein intake, won't necessarily help you build more muscle.

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg

2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights

154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg

70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

I started up again last week. I feel my form coming back already!

Started mine back up again as well. Been at it for about a month now. Doing some weight circuits every other day and jogging/walking on my off days.

i probably don't consume enough protein. the other week i was getting ridiculous amounts of meat for free and was having like 1kg or more of meat in the evening, on top of protein-rich lunch. anyway, i put on a significant amount of muscle... but didn't lift weights or anything (was too full-up, couldn't be bothered) and twas just a normal work week (which is quite physical but not that heavy usually).

Guest theSun

ellipticals are awesome. been dealing with some other shit lately so tough to get into a regimen with this. i think that's the key with me. i can work out sporadically, but most times it just doesn't happen. if i get into a schedule where i work out every time i come home from work, it's more consistent.

i've been enjoying working out, seeing some decent results but due to home situation it's been rough to get on a consistent schedule. was at about 170lb before, got a bit of my IT gut. now down to 162 and seems like a more healthy weight. i'm 6'3 and have been very skinny most of my life, so my main goal now is to increase lean muscle.

I've just bought a new bike. I've been riding a free, shitty, too small, all steel bike from the 70s, for 2 years now (with rusty chain, and weak brakes). When I rode my new bike for the first time, it was like a totally different experience all together. I could fully extend my legs, and use my lower leg muscles more, and it just felt like my body was in sync with the bike, whereas with my old bike, something was always unnatural and uncomfortable. (I am 6'4 so I need the largest frame there is (25"), my old bike was a good 2-3 inches too small, and boy can that make a difference).

I'm pretty psyched... biking is my main mode of transportation in the city, and so that just turned enjoyable, AND I am now inclined to just go on joy rides for the exercise and fun of it.

I haven't hit the gym so much lately, as it is kind of out of the way (i quit my job, and it was 2 blocks from work, so I could go after my shift, but now Im not in the neighborhood anymore, so i have to make a whole plan to fit it in etc. kind of annoying). So now I am focusing on doing lots of pushups, pullups, and situps at home, and I'm seeing some good results. Better to do those consistently and vigorously, than to go the gym on an inconsistent basis. I could use some free weights though. My triceps are ok, but my biceps aren't as big as they were.

I've also been trying to eat a lot more protein and just eating more in general, but that is hard to be consistent with, especially as I am trying to save money at the moment. If I had spare cash, I'd gladly stock up, and eat all day, but as it is, it's just to expensive to really do seriously.

In general though, I am in the best shape I've ever been. Since starting working out in august, I've lost 13 pounds, and I'm way more toned. I wish I had more muscle mass, but if I had to choose between lean and toned, and large and untoned, I'd rather be lean and toned. Like I said, I'll focus on putting on more muscle weight when I can really invest in consuming more food, but until then, I am pretty happy with where I am at. I visited my family a couple of weeks ago for the first time in almost a year, and they couldn't stop commenting on how visible a difference they could see in my physique. It was nice to have outside perspective, because it can sometimes be hard to see your own progress.

I am also climbing a bit more. My girlfriend climbs a lot, and I've been joining her more often lately. It's just so expensive. If it was half the price, I'd probably go way more often. It's really enjoyable, and you really feel your whole body being used when you climb... however I haven't been doing it consistently and long enough to really see any results in my body.

Archived