IGNORED

50 americanisms in the uk

keltoi

I went to a McDonalds in Dover (nothing else was open, so sue me. plus I was stuck there because of a travel fuck up, so sue me). It was not fast food. They said we could have a seat, and they brought it to us. I would call this very slow food. Also, there were bars on the windows of the hotel that we had to last minute book.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an american living in Dublin for 2 years I got a headcase full of these, but on the whole I found the differences between anglo-irish and american more amusing than anything. I did have a roommate though that got annoyed at how we'd pronounce the letter H (omitting the leading inhalation, e.g. '24 ours a day') and enjoy our cheese before dinner.

Ones I quite enjoyed:

- 'shed-ule' vs. 'sked-ule' - when is this taught in shool?

- 'VIT-a-mins' vs. VI-ta-mins' - good for you either way I reckon

- Some person was taken 'to hospital' vs. 'to the hospital'

And I'll admit that single quotes first, double quotes inside makes more sense than the other way around.

Anyone who gets annoyed by things like this needs their ears boxing - but only once their head has been successfully removed from their arse. It's the year 2011, we share so much culture with other English-speaking nations that it's perfectly natural for expressions to cross borders. The English language is a beautiful living thing.

If we start getting nationalistic and prescriptivist about it, we're going to turn into the French. And nobody wants that.

best post

schmerschmericansims

second best post

edit: one more thing.

10. Is "physicality" a real word? Curtis, US

...yes

Guest sirch

lol @ "so sue me"

also, i say "shed-ule", "hospital" and "the hospital" (depends - she's in hosptial. i'm picking her up at the hosptial),

"vit-amins", and "tom-ar-toe"... oh and "al-u-minium"

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

9. "Touch base" - it makes me cringe no end. Chris, UK

never heard it in the uk but this one drives me crazy.

its also kinda sexual

take your hands off my base!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i've been here so long now that the word leverage sounds silly the english way

Guest sirch

We could fill a dumpster/skip with these

Is it acceptable to refer to a particularly promiscuous female as a 'cum-skip'?

we already say "cum-bucket" , so yeah, i don't see a problem with "cum-skip" at all... except cum-dumpster sounds better!

now there's an Americanisation i'd happily use everyday.

is refectory an american word? like "canteen"...

not as far as i know.

does anybody think we should just have an "ask a UK citizen any questions you have about their country/ask a US citizen any questions you have about their country" kind of thread? have we done that before? it feels right.

Guest sirch

is refectory an american word? like "canteen"...

not as far as i know.

does anybody think we should just have an "ask a UK citizen any questions you have about their country/ask a US citizen any questions you have about their country" kind of thread? have we done that before? it feels right.

that might be quite funny, but could soon turn into a cock war! no doubt.

maybe extend it to "ask a citizen of any country any questions you might have about their country"...? i dunno. could be interesting.

what i really want to know is if there is any sense of "british" nationalism? i.e., let's say you're english, and andy murray is scottish. do you really give a shit if he wins wimbledon because he is technically your countryman?

Guest sirch

what i really want to know is if there is any sense of "british" nationalism? i.e., let's say you're english, and andy murray is scottish. do you really give a shit if he wins wimbledon because he is technically your countryman?

i'd say no there's not really. this is one of the weird things about the so-called United Kingdom. it's such a small island and everyone hates on the English! still. lol

the Scots more often than not will back the USA in the world cup and want the English to lose everything. they really hate us the most (in my experience). whereas (a lot of) the English will get behind somebody like Murray and be pleased if he wins whether he's Scottish, English, Welsh, Irish or whatever, simply because he's 'British'. and all the English hate each other aswell! lol. the North/South divide is quite real.

well looky here, yall might find this a miiiiiiiiiighty ineressin...

1/ I say howdy sometimes, and maam lesstimes. Please don't hate me keltoi.

2/ Also, an Englisher complaining about linguistic imperialism from the USofA is a pretty weak and pointless thing.

3/ I do dislike high fives though, and most people that request them. You can tell they're cunts cause they tend to get shitty when you don't follow through on their pointless little set piece.

"Camaan, give me a high five, Camaan, high five. High five, Camaaaaan. Don't get a fuckhead, just give me a high five."

([methinks]i'll give you a smack in the head you posy little faggot, how about that.[/methinks])

Archived