IGNORED

I may need an operation :(

J3FF3R00

Man. Reading some of this stuff literally makes me break a sweat.

I know I'm being a pussy, but it's THE ONE thing in life I have a fear of. The surgery part isn't that scary, actually.

When I'm in a movie and somebody pulls a needle out, I usually hide my eyes, scream, or both.

Be glad you don't faint every time they stick a needle in you. I have a vasovagal attack every time causing me to faint.

Thats what made me hate needles...

Guest Franklin

*skates in*

What Ziggo brings up is important.... What about needles do you not like: 1. associated pain of it going in or discomfort of it moving around? 2. the rush and then sudden drop of blood pressure (the "vaso vagal response") which causes people to get clammy and sometimes faint. 3. something else? (make sure you be honest about any other reasons)

There are various ways to partially or fully solve 1 and 2 if your doctors know how you feel in advance.

^ yeah, I just had an MRI this summer and I didn't see the needle at all, or feel it really. I'm not too fond of needles, but a few years of being nice and poor and "donating" plasma got me over my fear pretty quick. As a child I was terrified of them. You want a horror story? I burst a blood vessel in my kidney one day when I was 8 and started pissing blood - hurt like hell. To correct the problem, a urologist had to perform a surgery that required them sticking a tube up my urethra and winding it around to the problem kidney. :wtf: I have never had a worse god damned experience in a doctor's office. It took six nurses to hold me down before the surgery. I made it through the whole thing alright though, and let me tell you, needles are a field of daisies compared to some of the things doctors might ask you to go through.

Sorry to hear you might need surgery btw, but you'll make it just fine. Like baph said, we all go under the knife some time.

*skates in*

What Ziggo brings up is important.... What about needles do you not like: 1. associated pain of it going in or discomfort of it moving around? 2. the rush and then sudden drop of blood pressure (the "vaso vagal response") which causes people to get clammy and sometimes faint. 3. something else? (make sure you be honest about any other reasons)

There are various ways to partially or fully solve 1 and 2 if your doctors know how you feel in advance.

All of the above. Something about the kind of feeling. The cold thin metal breaking a tiny part of your skin and going deeper and deeper and feeling the depth and firmness of it. Ack. Dude. I hate it. HATE.

Something about the kind of feeling. The cold thin metal breaking a tiny part of your skin and going deeper and deeper and feeling the depth and firmness of it.

fap

fapfapfap

Guest Franklin

*skates in*

All of the above. Something about the kind of feeling. The cold thin metal breaking a tiny part of your skin and going deeper and deeper and feeling the depth and firmness of it. Ack. Dude. I hate it. HATE.

Ok. well that's a good start... so, you may want to explain to the surgeon that some method of keeping you calmer would be helpful for you. A good rule of thumb is that if you'd consider not going through with the procedure just b/c of the needle then you might need extra help.

there are topical pain ointments to take away the feeling of the needle going in to a certain depth (few centimeters at least)... or you can have applied tension at the same time paired with deep breathing and looking away. Most clinicians should know and be able to provide for this. Understanding the vasovagal response in greater depth may also help you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypanophobia (check out the vasovagal response part... bit more easy to read than the VV wiki)

If I were you I'd ask the doc for 1mg of xanax and a topical pain killer for the initial sting and you'd be likely having a great time.

Had several MRIs for my shoulder, twice with the dye but only once with the needle directly into my shoulder. The second time at a different doctor, they just used an intravenous needle on my arm, still not that pleasant, but its easier to take.

Although it was kinda cool watching them insert the needle over a big x-ray screen. :mu-ziq:

You want a horror story? I burst a blood vessel in my kidney one day when I was 8 and started pissing blood - hurt like hell. To correct the problem, a urologist had to perform a surgery that required them sticking a tube up my urethra and winding it around to the problem kidney. :wtf:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Jefferoooooo I can't lie, joint injections are a new world of pain. None of the topical suggestions apply but a chance to cut is a chance to cure which is not only the truth but also an album by some extremely gay IDMers

walter-sobchak-entering-a-world-of-pain.jpg

SOURCE: shadowed an orthopaedic physician as he edlivered shots of Synvisc* into knees and hips

*a medicine made out of ground cox combs (lol) to generate cartilage for those with oseteoarthrits

PPS, drunk, not sup

sup :sup:

I was waiting for your input.

:cry:

Archived