IGNORED

Vatican Shadow - Kneel Before Religious Icons

zupiclone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest primusluta

I want to like this guy. I mean he's obviously trying to pick up on the muslimguaze vibe which is a soft spot for me. But something about it. A subtle nuance is missing? Anyone know what I'm talking about.

yeah, i know exactly what you're talking about. If i didn't know any better i would say without hesitation that Boomkat is promoting sounds from 80s era post industrial music (zoviet france, muslimgauze, hafler trio, esplendor geometrico) and not really giving their customers much perspective on what this stuff is influenced by.

the best post-muslimgauze inspired work i've heard, it's by Kush Arora titled 'Underwater Jihad', don't let the title fool you, the music itself is nuanced and very very good.

Kush Arora - Underwater Jihad

a85db2b1b9da1a15a31d8058655605a5.34da7b34ee2b4c33b5d2398fd762f177.jpg

http://recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/underwater-jihad/Underwater_Jihad.mp3

http://recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/underwater-jihad/Boiling_Blood_Meditation.mp3

http://recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/underwater-jihad/Armageddon_Slices.mp3

http://recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/underwater-jihad/Chues_Delight.mp3

this album came out in 2004

If Vatican Assassin hasn't heard of this album, they need to hear to hear it immediately.

it also kinda makes me wonder, what is the band Vatican Assassin's reason and motivation behind choosing album art like this

333.jpg

does this mean anything besides scary aesthetics playing into the whole war on terror climate? I'd love to see an interview with this group on why they choose to represent themselves this way. Muslimgauze was extremely unapologetic about his controversial beliefs, so there was a reason to his madness, im just wondering if the same applies to Vatican Assassin...

edit: for those out there not familiar with the man in the picture, go here http://en.wikipedia....dal_Malik_Hasan

He is the man alleged to have been the Fort Hood shooter from about 2 years ago.

part of the reason Kush Arora played into the terrorism climate at the time is because right after 9/11, people used to scream at him on the street that he looked like a terrorist, and he was Indian not muslim or arab. I'm still trying to figure out why Vatican assassin does it.

I don't get it and no offence to anyone's roster but nothing mentioned in this thread sounds like Muslimgauze besides Muslimgauze. I agree that the Kush Arora stuff sounds better than the Vatican Shadow stuff (both I've never heard of prior to today) but I don't think it sounds much more like Muslimgauze. Maybe a little bit but that influence wouldn't have occurred to me on a cold listen.

Thread has really peaked my interest into checking out Muslimgauze. His catalog is a bit intimidating though anyone have a good suggestion as to a starting point?

I don't get it and no offence to anyone's roster but nothing mentioned in this thread sounds like Muslimgauze besides Muslimgauze. I agree that the Kush Arora stuff sounds better than the Vatican Shadow stuff (both I've never heard of prior to today) but I don't think it sounds much more like Muslimgauze. Maybe a little bit but that influence wouldn't have occurred to me on a cold listen.

here here, maybe the track titles, but it ends there :biggrin: johnson & jonhson do good ear buds i hear i hear left right left right left right

it also kinda makes me wonder, what is the band Vatican Assassin's reason and motivation behind choosing album art like this

ondering if the same applies to

we can also talk about Slayer's Christ Illusion if you want? great artwork by the way, that and Seasons in the Abyss, same painter.

i just listen to the music tbh

I really like the sound of Vatican Shadow, I was less fond of the sound of Kush Arora which I felt had little to no relevance to this thread or Vatican Shadow's sound and just seemed like divebomb spam.

I really like the sound of Vatican Shadow, I was less fond of the sound of Kush Arora which I felt had little to no relevance to this thread or Vatican Shadow's sound and just seemed like divebomb spam.

yep

:cerious:

Guest primusluta

Didn't realize this was prurient. Interesting.

Every time I saw "Vatican Assassins" I thought "hmmmmm Blue Daisy's 'Shadow Assassins' maybe?"

At any rate to my original point is the consensus then that this is not meant to be a muslimguaze-y type project? Just coincidentally using similar naming conventions and imagery? I'll take everyone elses's word for it if that's the case.

But if it is supposed to be Bryn inspired I think the thing that it's lacking is an edge. Everything I've heard so far has been decent mind you, but there's no edge to the tracks to parallell the edge which the titles and imagery suggest. Rather than sitting on the cusp of action it just kind of sits. On its mown it may stand up I guess, but because it's dressed itself as such I kind of expect more.

At any rate to my original point is the consensus then that this is not meant to be a muslimguaze-y type project? Just coincidentally using similar naming conventions and imagery? I'll take everyone elses's word for it if that's the case.

good questions, still haven't got an answer, seems like his fans don't care about his constant use of controversial imagery with seemingly no purpose.

I really like the sound of Vatican Shadow, I was less fond of the sound of Kush Arora which I felt had little to no relevance to this thread

maybe if you're not familiar with muslimgauze you could say it has no relevance to this thread, regardless if it came out on my own label in 2004 i like to make a point talking about things that came before other things.

I'm confident enough to recommend stuff on my own label that are relevant to discussions without hesitation. If It was absolutely non relevant to the musical content in this thread i could perceive it as being purely spam, but it's self evidently relevant. So laser-guided instead of dive bomb would be more appropriate a characterization :)

Guest Lucy Faringold

...seems like his fans don't care about his constant use of controversial imagery with seemingly no purpose.

Come on man, the music drips with death and dread and nausea. The imagery works with the music. Stop trying to make everything so black and white.

Guest Backson

So, let me get this straight...

Vatican Shadow is another alias of the dude from Purient? And the dude from Purient is also a member of Cold Cave and Nuclear Pig Shit?

And I thought Elon Katz was proactive! Man, these industrial revivalists sure are driven.

Archived