IGNORED

Paul Thomas Anderson

jeremymacgregor87

I'm gonna troll a bit and say I wasn't super stoked about the Greenwood score. Yes, I thought he was headed in an interesting direction, but ultimately I thought it only got part of the way there. It was a bit too jarring and intrusive much of the time.

Not terrible, but not as good and memorable as say, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly score. Which also seems weird when you analyze it (the screams and ullulating), but has ended up becoming the prototypical western score. I know it's apples and oranges to compare the two...

I'm going to agree with you. I think I liked it more than you but it is jarring. I thought that was the point of it. there are moments where the score is absolutely perfect and brilliant but there are a few times that it is a bit detached.

is greenwood doing the score for his next one too?

imdb says "yep"

sweet!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to agree with you. I think I liked it more than you but it is jarring. I thought that was the point of it. there are moments where the score is absolutely perfect and brilliant but there are a few times that it is a bit detached.

agreed, it's a fine line, and sometimes it goes over

scoring a PTA flick is quite a task and I think greenwood did a phenomenal job. a very different direction than most would have taken. I'm very curious to see where that collab goes next.

Apparently, Greenwood's working on the soundtrack with a band called Zed-U.

Zed-U are a British jazz trio who formed c.2007. They consist of bassist Neil Charles, saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings and drummer/keyboardist Tom Skinner. Their music embraces elements of dub reggae on the one hand and free jazz on the other.

[youtubehd]bYaXDbudrHw[/youtubehd]

I'm gonna troll a bit and say I wasn't super stoked about the Greenwood score. Yes, I thought he was headed in an interesting direction, but ultimately I thought it only got part of the way there. It was a bit too jarring and intrusive much of the time.

Not terrible, but not as good and memorable as say, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly score. Which also seems weird when you analyze it (the screams and ullulating), but has ended up becoming the prototypical western score. I know it's apples and oranges to compare the two...

i agree, i thought the score was a little invasive at times. i liked the eerie tone it lent the film but sometimes it was distracting.

that is a brutally unfair comparison though, the good the bad and the ugly has to be of the best scores in film history.

i like that zed-u track though, sounds like they'd be good with film music.

Guest vodor

i will echo everyone's sentiment that the TWBB soundtrack is spotty. the moment at the beginning when daniel gets fucked over in the mine and the shot pans up to the desolate landscape and the chord slowly wobbles and resolves is perfect. the track during the gusher is perfect. but the track during the mud scene is distracting and bad.

Guest zaphod

but the track during the mud scene is distracting and bad.

you mean fratres by arvo pärt? that track was used really well...and it's not really part of the score.

Archived