IGNORED

Recommend me a player to replace itunes

Guest ruiagnelo

iTunes for Windows is shit, but iTunes for OS X is responsive and functional (once you turn off genius syncing, who the fuck uses that shit)

never had a single issue with itunes. running windows 7, 64bit. i really don't understand the hate. i like foobar for its custom interface and the discogs feature, but itunes works perfectly fine. i've run itunes on both a mac and a windows machine, it's slightly faster on the mac, but that's the only difference i've seen in usability.

Actually, my hate is probably time-barred by some kind of statute of limitations now. I haven't used iTunes on Windows since 2006 or so. It was miserable back then, in the Pentium 4/ WXP days, and I'm sure it's much better now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nene multiple assgasms

I've just made the switch from Foobar2000 to this amazing little thing -

ma.jpg

My BonziBUDDY told me about it.

ragestalgia

I use XMPlay. it is free, memory efficient, has plugins for every format, a resizeable visualizer inc. cover art mode, a last.fm scrobbler, a sortable library that works perfectly with all compatible formats, and a simple interface. there are lots of nice skins for it as well.

main application is here:

http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html

all plugins/skins are here:

http://support.xmplay.com/

and here is what it looks like with my setup:

ldN1e.png

edit: also worth noting is that unlike most media players, the application loads instantly, as do songs when opened from the library or explorer.

LoL

Guest ruiagnelo

so far i only have one [huge] problem with foobar2000. unlike with itunes, i don't have a button that once clicked, will take me back to the album i am listening, when i am scrolling my library, which is kinda big. is it missing or am i missing it?

Guest futuregirlfriend

You couuuuld activate 'cursor follows playback' in the playback menu. It'll just flip back to the playing track, once the next track comes on. Closest thing I can think of.

Guest ruiagnelo

You couuuuld activate 'cursor follows playback' in the playback menu. It'll just flip back to the playing track, once the next track comes on. Closest thing I can think of.

it's not exactly the same, but it's actually fine! thank you

so far i only have one [huge] problem with foobar2000. unlike with itunes, i don't have a button that once clicked, will take me back to the album i am listening, when i am scrolling my library, which is kinda big. is it missing or am i missing it?

Double click on the status bar (thingy at bottom of window) :sorcerer:

Guest ruiagnelo

Double click on the status bar (thingy at bottom of window) :sorcerer:

i am using a customized theme and that is not working.

are you using the default skin?

Guest ruiagnelo

also i have just added Deep Purple's In Rock to the general playlist, which is in fact my whole library, and it goes right next to x-asp, which is stupid, because it should be on D. what the hell?

Guest dese manz hatin

why is itunes (at least for windows) considered shit? i've been using it for 5 years (alongside foobar as of late), no problems so far. the only problem is that it doesn't play flac. it's pretty simple, and intelligent playlists are the shit.

Guest ruiagnelo

it's pretty simple, and intelligent playlists are the shit.

the only problem is that it doesn't play flac.

i am using a customized theme and that is not working.

are you using the default skin?

also i have just added Deep Purple's In Rock to the general playlist, which is in fact my whole library, and it goes right next to x-asp, which is stupid, because it should be on D. what the hell?

I use the Default UI. There's no such thing as a foobar "skin" - what people pass off as skins are just user-made, prettied-up & modded-to-all-hell configurations using one of the UI's (Default or Columns UI) and various components. If you want to use someone else's customized config that's cool, but the trade off is that you won't be able to get decent help with things like this.

If your config is based on Columns UI then you can specify the status bar double-click action in Preferences (e.g., highlight currently playing track). Then again whoever made your config could just as well made the status bar hidden.

Can't help much with your second problem either because by default foobar adds tracks to the end of a playlist. You could try select all > right click > Sort > Sort by Artist.

I love when everyone makes a big deal about FLAC on itunes, as if ALAC isn't just as good and open source, and converting to ALAC from FLAC is borderline instantaneous even on my aging 2007 laptop. It would be "nice" to have default FLAC support in iTunes, but it's an extremely minor inconvenience at the most.

• 5 months later...

Archived