IGNORED

Polygon Window "Quoth" Mispress?

KyonPalm

So I have one of the clear vinyl copies of Quoth (original Warp UK press of course) but it's missing the b-side label on it. Like, it's not even there on the other side. Does anyone know anything about this mispress - how many are out there, for instance?

http://www.discogs.c...release/3549926

Just because it's missing the label (which could have resulted because of any number of reasons) doesn't make it rare - now, if it had different information or tracks on it, then we're talking.

Just because it's missing the label (which could have resulted because of any number of reasons) doesn't make it rare - now, if it had different information or tracks on it, then we're talking.

Oh I'm not saying it's rare and planning to sell it for one billion dollars like a lot of the people on Discogs seem to think is acceptable, don't get me wrong! I'm just curious about it, since it wasn't listed on Discogs until I submitted it, so I'm wondering how many other people have copies like it and if it's been referenced/talked about before.

Dude - the label either came off due to some dodgy glue or they made a mistake at the pressing plant and it probably went through when the label machine ran out and they missed it. It's not a rare variant or anything out of the ordinary.

The damn thing is almost 20 years old now; I'm sure years of storage has weakened the glue (if the label did indeed fall off).

I could go home and peel the labels off my vinyls and that wouldn't make them any more special than the ones with labels.

Dude - the label either came off due to some dodgy glue or they made a mistake at the pressing plant and it probably went through when the label machine ran out and they missed it. It's not a rare variant or anything out of the ordinary.

The damn thing is almost 20 years old now; I'm sure years of storage has weakened the glue (if the label did indeed fall off).

I could go home and peel the labels off my vinyls and that wouldn't make them any more special than the ones with labels.

If you really want to get specific, I don't feel any glue residue on the spot where the label should be. It's like it was never there to begin with. To me, I think it's obviously just that a small number got pressed without B-side labels. I don't know how, of course, maybe someone just forgot to place them when a small batch got pressed (forgive me if that sounds weird, I've never been in a pressing plant before.)

No offense, but the idea of the labels just "falling off" after time and weakened glue sounds laughably ridiculous. I've never even heard of that before, let alone seen suggested examples. I mean if even Trax's records didn't have that problem... well... :tongue:

And for the last time, I do not think it's any more special than the other "labelled" versions, I'm just curious how many copies like it exist and if anyone else noticed it. Goddamn, man, seriously.

Just because it's missing the label (which could have resulted because of any number of reasons) doesn't make it rare

Oh I'm not saying it's rare

I'm just curious about it, since it wasn't listed on Discogs

It's not a rare variant or anything out of the ordinary.

you're missing the point JR

he's simply asking if this a known mispress, not it's rarity value

in which case, its probably not a mispress

in which case, its probably not a mispress

Out of curiosity, how do you define a mispress then? Not picking on you or anything, but I'm pretty sure messing up the label placement counts as a mispress, since it there was a mistake in the pressing, no?

'mislabeled' i think, would be the term you are looking for. this is good read http://www.guardian....g-vinyl-records

A good read indeed, but I still don't really see how the term "mislabled" applies, to be honest. Mislabeled seems more like when the labels between sides A and B get switched.

A mispress is when the music is mispressed. This is just a manufacture error, in the same way you get two labels doubled up occasionally.

At first, I would have said "not necessarily" since there are plenty of releases that get the info printed on the sleeve wrong, but those should probably be classified as "misprints" rather than "mispresses". Thanks for reminding me of that, you hit the nail on the head, I've got to say! So please excuse the title of this thread - replace the word "mispress" with "misprint" and let's carry on, alright?

good advice noise. i'm beginning to think this may be 'oneofakind' kyonpalm, maybe even intentional. i'm looking at my quoth and its got both labels firmly affixed, but also a third label stuck up the sleeve, which makes perfect sense seeing that yours is missing. if you want to send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope, i would be harppy to place it in the post for you. or sell it to you maybe? or i'll send the label? or just play it without the label?

If you really want to get specific, I don't feel any glue residue on the spot where the label should be. It's like it was never there to begin with. To me, I think it's obviously just that a small number got pressed without B-side labels. I don't know how, of course, maybe someone just forgot to place them when a small batch got pressed (forgive me if that sounds weird, I've never been in a pressing plant before.)

No offense, but the idea of the labels just "falling off" after time and weakened glue sounds laughably ridiculous. I've never even heard of that before, let alone seen suggested examples. I mean if even Trax's records didn't have that problem... well... :tongue:

And for the last time, I do not think it's any more special than the other "labelled" versions, I'm just curious how many copies like it exist and if anyone else noticed it. Goddamn, man, seriously.

I get what you're saying, but my point is it's just a manufacturing error, and really, who cares?

It's a wonder how anyone on this forum could ever expect a serious non-smartass response to an honest question. Thanks a ton, asshats.

Well, think about what you're asking to begin with - a label's missing? FFS - send an email to WARP and ask them to post you a replacement label.

The question you're asking is a bit odd in the sense of how could you or anyone quantify it? It's like asking how many Star Wars figures produced by Kenner in the 1980s didn't have the excess flash trimmed on them?

(flash is the excess plastic usually left behind from an injection mould process, which normally gets trimmed off)

holy lol @ joyrex.

take a chill pill, dude. kyon's just looking for some info about an aphex record.

if it's a "really, who cares?" why have you taken the time away from putting sparkly stickers in your RDJ scrapbook to sass up this thread?

Guest steveffisher

I have a vague memory of my Quoth EP having a label missing. Just a duff manufacturing process. Not a mispress at all, unlike my copy of Brian Eno's 'Before and After Science' CD which I got home to find was actually a greatest hits compilation by The Police. Not happy.

Not a mispress at all, unlike my copy of Brian Eno's 'Before and After Science' CD which I got home to find was actually a greatest hits compilation by The Police. Not happy.

Ahahaha, that is terrible. Yeah, again, ignore the "mispress" in the title, just mentally replace it with "misprint" since I can't edit the topic title.

holy lol @ joyrex.

take a chill pill, dude. kyon's just looking for some info about an aphex record.

if it's a "really, who cares?" why have you taken the time away from putting sparkly stickers in your RDJ scrapbook to sass up this thread?

Pfft. Sparkly stickers. Everybody who's anybody knows you put puffy stickers on your RDJ scrapbook...

Pfft. Sparkly stickers. Everybody who's anybody knows you put puffy stickers on your RDJ scrapbook...

I'm partial to the scratch-n-sniff ones.

Smells like Quorn.

Archived