IGNORED

Cloud Atlas - New Movie by The Wachowskis

Squee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMDB gives it a 8.3 while the Metascore is: 55/100. This is Tom Hanks Waterworld I guess. Looks nice but no way the characters can be convincing in so many roles.

I am pretty sure no one can answer what the characters are like while not referring to their makeup, their profession or the way they look.

I am pretty sure no one can answer what the characters are like while not referring to their makeup, their profession or the way they look.

The Phantom Menace syndrome...

I didn't really feel that way on this one. Some characters of course were more developed than others, but most were more complex over the generations when karma tied into the plot. I think I'd have to watch it again to catch more of those details. The movie may have suffered a bit by not making that so clear.

When it was done some of the audience seemed blown away, others were a little confused. They were probably hoping for The Notebook or something.

lol @ The Notebook

You are exactly right about the character development being the same or similar in each plot line. It is an interesting trick to tell a layered story like this one. Most will think it is a statement about reincarnation. I think it is an original writing style that they had fun playing with.

The makeup bothered me a bit but the story was more interesting than the bad makeup.

A friend just told me that at the Alamo Drafthouse he works at, which is playing Cloud Atlas, the film attendees look dazed and introspective when they come out of the theater.

Perhaps because they didn't get what they just saw, like after watching Holy Mountain for the first time.

Most people will hate this film due to being bored by it. It is tiring.

It does have a homosexual romance in it that I really enjoyed and actually felt the characters were in love.

The Korean future storyline makes the whole film experience worth going through til the end.

The distant future story is a bit Zardoz'd/John Carter'd out but that is not too much a bad thing in my opinion.

But it is still tiring, much like this post.

I really wanted to like this. The ideas and what it strived for was awesome, but the execution was pretty poor. I feel like I'd love the book, so I may read it. It just seemed too detailed to be done justice on screen.

I really dislike Tom Hanks as an actor. When he plays Tom Hanks, he can pull it off, because he is just kind of being himself, but seeing him in all of that make up and different roles, it just didn't work. It was too distracting.

Way too much bad make up. The sci-fi scenes looked great though.

So yeah, nice attempt, but didn't quite pull it off.

Archived