Cloud Atlas - New Movie by The Wachowskis

Squee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a little

Also:

Transexual Wachowski is fucking creepy.

she/he really fucking reminds me of someone but i can't think who...

She reminds me of someone I once saw at a psytrance party... let me rephrase that, she looks like everyone at every psytrance party ever.

looks a little like Dana Carvey's Church Lady church-lady.jpg

Not sure I get how Lana looks any creepier now than when Lana was known as Larry. It's not like Larry looked like Brad Pitt or anything. You can't just, you know, "decide" you're going to transition and end up looking like Scarlet Johannson. As for the hair color, I'm not finding it hard to believe that either Wachowski would be stuck in 1999.

Whatever. Takes a lot of courage for her to be putting herself out there again.

Anyway, I got this book recently, and haven't turned to it. From the trailer, which looks visually interesting, I'm worried that the book is going to be some Love Conquers All melodrama like What Dreams May Come. I was hoping for more Kim Stanley Robinson meets DeLillo's Underworld. I are concern.

Also:

Transexual Wachowski is fucking creepy. Why do some men who wish to become women do it in the strangest possible way? Just because you are a transexual does not mean you are required to weird everyone the fuck out. There are plenty of others who make the tran(ny)sition just fine.

edit*

I am sure this is insensitive as hell. But I'm living in the future, baby.

thanks for letting us know. I'm sure she went out of her way to "weird everyone out," and that it wasn't a difficult transition to make at all.

I'm sorry but this kind of response reminds me of people who say "I'm ok with gay people, I just don't like when they in your face about it with the parades and everything (blah blah thinly veiled homophobia etc)"

The directors commentray video was cringeworthy, but for entirely unrelated reasons.

Come on larry don't so sensitive.

You can't force people to not feel weird out by something like that. Nobody is denying her right to change sex but its still looks weird to people. They way we are brought up by society makes us cringe at things like a transexual or two men kissing. I think all of us in this thread is accepting of all lifestyles but at the same time we all grew up in a world where stuff like transexuals is considered weird.

Another point i would like to make, if Lana was born a woman we'll still think she looks weird (that cyber punk look is so out of place in 2012)

Come on larry don't so sensitive.

You can't force people to not feel weird out by something like that. Nobody is denying her right to change sex but its still looks weird to people. They way we are brought up by society makes us cringe at things like a transexual or two men kissing. I think all of us in this thread is accepting of all lifestyles but at the same time we all grew up in a world where stuff like transexuals is considered weird.

Another point i would like to make, if Lana was born a woman we'll still think she looks weird (that cyber punk look is so out of place in 2012)

Hey it's ok to feel weird (hell, I felt weird seeing Tom Hanks with that hair in the trailer), but it takes a willful step to then go to "Why do some men who wish to become women do it in the strangest possible way?" Not trying to bash robert moses here but theres something to be said there. Ok don't mean to derail the thread...

For those who have read the book, would you say it's a mistake to see this movie without reading the book first? Or does it look so far removed it doesn't matter?

Also:

Transexual Wachowski is fucking creepy. Why do some men who wish to become women do it in the strangest possible way? Just because you are a transexual does not mean you are required to weird everyone the fuck out. There are plenty of others who make the tran(ny)sition just fine.

edit*

I am sure this is insensitive as hell. But I'm living in the future, baby.

thanks for letting us know. I'm sure she went out of her way to "weird everyone out," and that it wasn't a difficult transition to make at all.

I'm sorry but this kind of response reminds me of people who say "I'm ok with gay people, I just don't like when they in your face about it with the parades and everything (blah blah thinly veiled homophobia etc)"

The directors commentray video was cringeworthy, but for entirely unrelated reasons.

I deleted my initial response because I felt like I was trying too hard to explain and defend my statement. The only thing I will offer is that I am not in the least bit offended or uncomfortable with the Transgender lifestyle. And this kind of shit weirds me out just as much as Lana Wachowski weirds me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8MqAmPA_GA

Yeah, I'm not that hung up on Lana's gender identity. Obviously it was a difficult journey and she probably gets plenty of shit about it, much like Wendy Carlos. Hardly worth commenting on at all, really.

I just was annoyed at how they smug they were about the project, about throwing millions of dollars into what looks and sounds (from the commentary) like a mess. They seem really pleased with themselves like they were the underdogs, fighting the good fight. And, again, I know almost nothing about this movie, but for the most part it just looks like another mindless special effects extravaganza, although with an interesting visual style. I get the feeling that if you're in the movie industry for a long time, it's easy to start believing that the typical simplistic Hollywood storyline (i.e. with a clear, well-defined struggle and protagonists that are only superficially flawed) is actually representative of reality. It's easy to see oneself as such a protagonist, and to tune out any evidence that one's shit might possibly stink.

OK, I'm probably going way overboard and exaggerating here but I think you can see what I mean.

On a more reasonable note, I have little idea what it takes to get a movie off the ground and it probably takes a lot of confidence and believing in your project to the point that it resembles self-delusion even if you're sincere and grounded about it.

Also:

Transexual Wachowski is fucking creepy.

she/he really fucking reminds me of someone but i can't think who...

She reminds me of someone I once saw at a psytrance party... let me rephrase that, she looks like everyone at every psytrance party ever.

Lol. That may become my new signature.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I'm would be really surprised if this movie doesn't come across as really cheesy and ridiculous.

it's difficult to explain without reading the novel. there's a lot of stories, sort of arranged like the layers of an onion, and they're all linked even though they happen far, far apart from each other in time.

• 2 months later...

From what I saw of the trailers, it seemed like they really pushed the knowing/loving characters across generations much more than the book suggested?

I'm still excited to see it though.

Archived