IGNORED

Baldness cure could be on shelves in two years

syd syside

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/hair-loss-cure-balding-baldness-losing.html

A hair lotion that cures baldness could be on the market within two years, believe scientists.

They are already talking with pharmaceutical firms about making the product, which would work by stopping the effects of a single guilty enzyme.

US-based dermatologists announced earlier this year that they had found that an enzyme, called prostaglandin D2 (PGD2), instructed follicles to stop producing hair.

They identified it by screening 250 genes implicated in hair loss.

George Cotsarelis, head of dermatology at Pennsylvania University, said the one responsible for levels of PGD2 played “the major role”.

He said he was now talking with several drugs firms about creating the anti-baldness product.

Drugs are already available that reduce PGD2 levels, as it has been implicated in asthma, holding out the hope that developing a related product for baldness could be speedy.

About four in five men will experience some degree of baldness by the age of 70. In bald patches follicles are still making hairs, but less well than before. The hairs get shorter and shorter until they are either barely visible or do not even break the skin’s surface.

Cotsarelis and colleagues found that in 17 men with hair loss, PGD2 levels were three times higher in bald spots than in hairy areas.

When the original study was published in the journal Science Translational Medicine in March, he said: “We really do think if you remove the inhibition [caused by PGD2], you get longer hair.”

He said the finding raised the possibility of not only stopping hair loss, but of bald men also being able to regrow full heads of hair.

Des Tobin, director of the centre for skin sciences at Bradford University, described the advance as “a big step forward”.

He said: “I can’t see why we won’t soon be able to intervene to prevent hair loss.”

246px-George_Costanza.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be in a few years or so probably.

funny-science-news-experiments-memes-cool-refreshing-science.gif

Great. As soon as they're done with that, maybe they can look into that whole cancer business.

Ya because all the scientists work on the same things lol

After 13-14 years of balding, starting at around age 19, I've become pretty used to being bald.

I'd feel pretty stupid trying to regrow hair on my head. It seems like you'd have to be pretty insecure to try any kind of hair regrowth procedure, unless it was the result of an injury or illness.

However, I gotta say, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy combing my hair again.

I think it would be really weird for my friends.

Great. As soon as they're done with that, maybe they can look into that whole cancer business.

ahhhhhhhhhhh, that reminds me some comedy show or movie i recently watched where they gather all the scientists from earth and the they would be eliminated one by one if their tasks were not important or something, what was that???

Guest ruiagnelo

that george constanza pic killed me!

also, congrats my bald friends. may your bitches get horny at you again

After 13-14 years of balding, starting at around age 19, I've become pretty used to being bald.

I'd feel pretty stupid trying to regrow hair on my head. It seems like you'd have to be pretty insecure to try any kind of hair regrowth procedure, unless it was the result of an injury or illness.

However, I gotta say, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy combing my hair again.

i'm not that bald, i have, i don't know what you call it, entrances, lol... and less hair in the top region. to be fair, it's not a cosmetic/visual aspect that bothers me, it's something that has to do with health, i dunno, i feel a bit sick noticing areas where my hair doesn't grow like before...

i don't mind at all having a shaved head, i've used it like that lots of times even when i wasn't a bit bald, but i can't help to feel a bit sick knowing my hair is getting weak... :(

I would be in a few years or so probably.

funny-science-news-experiments-memes-cool-refreshing-science.gif

Just my little joke pointing out a misappropriation of resources.

Anyhow, both my grandfathers went bald pretty early in life, yet I still have a pretty thick head of hair. My brother is balding, too.

A while ago, I read that diet has a big impact. Countries that have a diet higher in fat tend to have higher instances of hair-loss. Of course correlation doesn't mean causation...

i'm not that bald, i have, i don't know what you call it, entrances, lol... and less hair in the top region. to be fair, it's not a cosmetic/visual aspect that bothers me, it's something that has to do with health, i dunno, i feel a bit sick noticing areas where my hair doesn't grow like before...

i don't mind at all having a shaved head, i've used it like that lots of times even when i wasn't a bit bald, but i can't help to feel a bit sick knowing my hair is getting weak... :(

It's definitely hardest at the onset. I became totally cool with it after about 3 or 4 years of shaving it off. I refuse to take it down to the skin though. I find that shiny, cue-ball look disgusting on most guys. It does work on really big or heavy dudes, tho.

I've found many positives to not having hair. I rarely spend time in the mirror. I don't need to buy shampoo or conditioner or any other hair products. I invested in a set of really good electric clippers and now I never have to pay anyone to cut my hair ever again.

People tell me my head is a good shape for being bald. I think I believe them. I'm cool with it.

I just notice when dudes have done hair plugs or similar treatments. It not only looks unnatural and strange, but when you notice it, I am instantly alerted to the thought that this person is unhappy with themselves, as they are. It usually makes me feel bad for them.

I don't think growing new hair will be a 100% life/image fix for the kind of people who pursue those kind of options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM

:cerious:

Yeah losing hair just kind of makes you feel like you are sick or ill ... basically reminds us of our mortality which isn't cool... but I honestly wouldn't give as many shits about if it wasn't for the unfortunate couple of large moles on the top of head. Main reason I don't just cut it short (where it'd look like my hairline was fine). It's mainly just annoying thing and you never really think about hair being that great until you realize you might not have it.

My hair grows (or doesn't grow) in some weird inverse Brazilian style. Whilst I wouldn't have surgery to regain my hair, just rubbing a lotion in or something I would certainly consider. Been losing my hair for the past 10 years. Never bothers be, except when i catch the reflection of my bonce on windows or mirrors :P

Whenever I shave my head I often receive one or all of the below comments from my 'mates'.

a) You look like a member of the Hitler youth.

b) You look like a Romanian orphan.

c) You look like an aids victim.

d) Alright conehead!

btw, have you noticed baldness on girls??? sorry but it's disgusting!!!!!!!!

why isn't it on men?

case closed!

Whenever I shave my head I have often received one or all of the below comments from my 'mates'.

a) You look like a cancer victim

that's what i get...

btw, have you noticed baldness on girls??? sorry but it's disgusting!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. That shit is nasty.

and like i said before, it's not a cosmetic value, i've seen pretty girls with shaved heads, it's just some sign of illness or soemthing... :(

I have the worse balding pattern I've ever seen, I've researched a lot on the subject and I know about DHT, propecia, rogaine and future regrowth solutions like Histogen and even copper peptides, this article is very inaccurate and raises false hopes. Once the hair miniaturizes it's very hard to reverse the process, stopping hair loss at an early stage is much easier.

Shaving the head is the worse, I hate how weird it makes me feel, it's like eating and then jumping into a pool of cold water, my brain feels cold but when I touch the scalp the skin is very warm, using hats is for lamers. I just buzz cut it at #2 or #1, zero with the level up is ok I guess, just hope I don't go cue ball because the difference in temperatures at the scalp is quite distracting.

What's even worse is that I thought I was safe from MPB because there isn't many bald males in my family from either side, the max is NW3 with vertex thinning at +60, I have a total different pattern, it's thinning all around like Larry David, fucking hell...

Archived