Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

- - - - -

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_Frankie5fingers_*

Guest_Frankie5fingers_*
  • Guests
  • 377 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

id say try it out. it definitely would stop people who join just to promote their stuff and not take part of the community. if we wanna start cleaning this up we gotta start somewhere.

#52 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

There's a paid addon now that requires a user to have at least a certain number of posts before being able to post - I'm not sure if that will solve the contribution issue, but it might be worth trying.

A tiny script that prevents people from making a new topic in the YLC before they've made 10 posts in other YLC threads would be rad.

#53 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'd really like to know why this is nearly impossible to understand for some people.

1. It's a sticky. You can't miss it. It's right there at the top!

2. The OP is pretty clear in its message. 

3. Thread titles very clearly tells you to read this thread, before making a new thread. 

4. IT'S RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!

So what the shit's the deal? Do people just go "hurr, whatever" or do they really not see it? It seems to be happening every single day on here.

#54 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Actually, sticky threads tend to get overlooked because it's just something that's always there.

#55 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Sure, but a lot of the people who come in here and start a thread without doing what the OP says, are new members. It's not like they even know the thread is there in the first place, and therefore just glances over it. There's no way some of these people can miss it.

What Joyrex suggested on the last page (A post limit so that new members won't be able to post in here right after joining) is a great idea, but I doubt it'll change a whole lot. Also, don't forget the people who have been redirected to this thread multiple times and continues to ignore what it actually tells them to do... ENJOY =)

Excuse me if this is considered whining.  

Edited by Friendly Foil, 19 January 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#56 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 73 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

ENJOY =)

LOL! Yeah, but it's hard to blame a guy who doesn't speak a word of English... but yeah, I know what you mean. ENJOY =)

#57 Cryptowen

Cryptowen

Quality Level: Very High

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Devil's advocate - I listen to a lottttt of tracks I find myself hardpressed to come up with a good comment for. No glaring technical issues, not boring or "wrong" in any obvious way, but at the same time not particularly exciting or unique. A perfectly mediocre track. And I try to avoid going "yeah man it's a'ight, not my thing" or "reminds me of *genre artist*" all the time

That said, in the run of a day I'll still come across at least a few tracks on here or on SC that grab my attention positively or negatively

#58 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Devil's advocate - I listen to a lottttt of tracks I find myself hardpressed to come up with a good comment for. No glaring technical issues, not boring or "wrong" in any obvious way, but at the same time not particularly exciting or unique. A perfectly mediocre track. And I try to avoid going "yeah man it's a'ight, not my thing" or "reminds me of *genre artist*" all the time

That said, in the run of a day I'll still come across at least a few tracks on here or on SC that grab my attention positively or negatively

To be fair, it's not like you post new tracks every day. Or week for that matter. I think what you just described is what most people do, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Friendly Foil, 19 January 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#59 Sadie

Sadie

GUNS/STACKS/MONSTERENERGY

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I feel like maybe a normal forum isn't perfectly suited for this sort of thing. Mumu works pretty well, but that's chat. I really like the idea though; I think that what we might really need is for the community to make an effort if we want it to work. You can make as many rules as you want and it still won't work if people don't try at all. And if people are into making an effort, rules aren't as necessary.

#60 sergeantk

sergeantk

ya big dummy

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • 87 topics
  • Joined 12-January 11
  • Interests:Distortion

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

This place is becoming overflow for other spammy forums =|

#61 slightlydrybeans

slightlydrybeans

general knobbist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 04-September 07
  • Interests:clowns.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just hang out in EKT. Don't give a shit about the other forums tbh. EKT is great though. 

#62 Sadie

Sadie

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Can you start deleting the topics of people who have not done this? Or locking them until they do?

#63 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment due to work and school. Which threads are you talking about?

#64 Sadie

Sadie

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Mainly the ones where the posters barely have any posts at all, not even just in YLC. There are probably others from people that have many posts but have not actually commented on other tracks, but that's harder to check for.

http://forum.watmm.c...are-all-thumbs/

http://forum.watmm.c...loscopescapade/

http://forum.watmm.c...celestial-suck/

I technically don't know about this one, but it seems highly suspect:

http://forum.watmm.c...-free-download/

#65 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Cool, thanks!

#66 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Considering that I waste a lot of time on here every day, and if you want me to, I would gladly help you keep track of this stuff. Send some links your way and stuff. 

#67 Guest_Atom Dowry Firth_*

Guest_Atom Dowry Firth_*
  • Guests
  • 43 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

My mum doesn't like my electronic music.

This

#68 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Considering that I waste a lot of time on here every day, and if you want me to, I would gladly help you keep track of this stuff. Send some links your way and stuff. 

That would be awesome because the next 4 weeks I'll be knee deep in my master thesis and work. Thanks, man!

#69 ambermonk

ambermonk

void casual, vtl idle

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 23-June 12
  • Steam:Scope_Dog

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Seems like we've had too many people lately who'd join WATMM and post their stuff right after joining - completely overlooking this thread in the process.

Are they interested in getting integrated into the community, or are they just thinking "Hey, I make electronic music. Maybe this group of electronic music fans will listen to it!"

#70 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that at least quite a few are looking for more followers and nice comments.

#71 Sadie

Sadie

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Can you block people from posting topics in this subforum until they have a certain number of posts?

Edited by gmanyo, 08 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#72 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Can you block people from posting topics in this subforum until they have a certain number of posts?

We've been talking about things like that, but there's no reason to take things to the extreme. For now, people just need to remember that you have to give some to get some, and they don't then their threads will be closed.

#73 Sadie

Sadie

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

We've been talking about things like that, but there's no reason to take things to the extreme. For now, people just need to remember that you have to give some to get some, and they don't then their threads will be closed.

Well my thinking is that many people come here and go "oh cool I can post my stuff" before they really understand, to some degree, the ins and outs of the forum. If they have to get to like 30-100 posts, they'll more likely understand how things tend to go, especially since this place attracts people who like music but aren't really forum-goers.

#74 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

So, this didn't really work, did it? 

#75 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Haha, which part?

I try my best shutting down threads here and there whenever it is needed.