IGNORED

Hillsborough

Malkmus

Given the amount of conspiricy theorist on here, i find the lack of a Hillsborough thread in here suprising.

Biggest confirmed conspiricy in the UK in modern times and not a word, even if it is only UK relevant.

J96.

basically... in 1989, 96 people were killed in a crush at a football match in a ground without a safety certificate and the police tried to cover up their negligence by falsifying reports and claiming it was the victims fault for being drunken hooligans/criminals.

@ lump.

The panel found that 164 statements were doctored - including the removal of 116 negative comments about the leadership of the police - to push the blame for the tragedy onto the fans, Mr Cameron said.

Further revelations from the panel also found that 41 of the victims may have had a chance of survival if the emergency services had not delayed their response.

Shockingly, the report found that cops carried out criminal background checks on the victims in a warped bid to damage the victims' reputations.

I live in Hillsborough and so been following this really closely. As people have said, not much to add other than it's dreadfully sad and I'm glad that after 23 years the truth has finally emerged. Hopefully legal proceedings will be filed and people held to account.

Without politicising too much this is clearly more evidence of the vilification of the working class by Thatcher, especially of Liverpudlians. The fact that there was widespread attempts to cover it up, from 10 Downing Street down, is utterly disgusting.

That's pretty fucked up. I've heard about this kind of thing happening but I didn't realize that it was a reference to a specific event.

For those of a mindful age at the time, was the way this was handled sort of a climax of bad establishment shit going on then? There seems to be this general grey, gloomy mood around Sheffield or the area (sorry, don't know UK geography well at all) in the late 70s through the 80s that I associate with industrialism and pollution, but I never connected with Thatcher, although it makes a lot of sense. Sorry for being naive as fuck.

That's pretty fucked up. I've heard about this kind of thing happening but I didn't realize that it was a reference to a specific event.

For those of a mindful age at the time, was the way this was handled sort of a climax of bad establishment shit going on then? There seems to be this general grey, gloomy mood around Sheffield or the area (sorry, don't know UK geography well at all) in the late 70s through the 80s that I associate with industrialism and pollution, but I never connected with Thatcher, although it makes a lot of sense. Sorry for being naive as fuck.

i think the disasters at hillsborough and heysel a few years before pretty much led to the removal of the fences confining supporters to specific areas and changing to all-seating grounds... pits were introduced between the stand and the pitch as a safer deterrent to pitch invasion.

i'd be 15, remember watching this unfold and wondering why the police were fighting back people who were clearly trying to escape the crush... ok football hooliganism was rife throughout the 80's so the police were expecting trouble... and yes the whole country had a gloomy, oppressed feeling coming directly from thatcher... this was even more prevalent in industrial areas like sheffield and glasgow cos she was shutting down or privatising huge industries which nourished these cities and their populations for decades. this disaster happened near the end of her term when most working people had had more than enough of her.

Archived