IGNORED

Saudi woman sentenced to 100 lashes and year in jail for being raped

Rubin Farr

I'm not sure what relevance this has, either. Oh wait, they're Muslims. That is literally the ONLY thing these crimes have in common. The culture of Pakistan is so different from Saudi to be practically unrecognisable except on the most superficial levels.. And clearly no white westerner would ever harm their child.

Those parents are crazy. Their behaviour is not the norm, as Chaosmachine pointed out. The fact that so many here are willing to buy into this racist narrative is depressing, but not suprising any more.

Thou doth protest too much. 900. Women. A. Year. "Honor" killings. That is omgwtfbbq retarded.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, but in a population of 180million people, that's still not the norm. Yes, it's a reflection of a culture that's very misogynist (like all cultures) but it's still not the norm - it's the sort of thing that dumb, poor, uneducated hicks do and I can guarantee you that most decent Pakistani people would be absolutely horrified by it.

It's also nothing to do with the OP story. "Honor killings" are unlawful murders usually carried out by family members. This, on the other hand, is a state-sanctioned punishment which makes it far more chilling IMHO.

You can't get enough. I was actually avoiding this thread because I couldn't be fucked to wade through the quagmire of fascist shit that Compson calls a brain, and the closest most of you have come to actual Muslims is in the pages of the Daily Mail. So on that note, fuck this I'm out.

the stories were similar in that they were about muslims ok, but also they're both examples of overly brutal punishment doled out in the name of shame and religious doctrines. i don't get your problem with the thread at all. it's just an excuse for yet another rant from you. how do you know who people here know?

My problem is mostly that this kind of imperialist, fascist shit

Those that become more humane will earn luxurious prizes and technology from the West as a token of gratitude, that serve to help all people within that region.

makes my stomach turn.

As you were, then.

Briefly that it's absurd that compson et al should attempt to take the moral high ground about how 'the west' should reform other cultures' attitudes and reactions to rape.

By all means criticise atrocities that occur elsewhere in the world, but where's the threads about our own appallingly low conviction rates for sex crimes? About how conservatives' attempt to restrict access to abortion even in the case of rape essentially amount to forced pregnancy and birth - tantamount to torture?

It's all well and good to wear a feminist hat when criticising a foreign culture full of brown people, but in those posts it comes hand in hand with a completely uncritical attitude towards Western culture. It's a double standard, and a frankly racist one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thank God nobody is ever made to suffer for being raped in the west.

PS, remember, this is the actions of the state and not a bunch of ill-educated Muslim rednecks. The state. That's why this happened - because states victimise, oppress and punish the innocent every day. It's not unique to the Muslim world. Nor is Saudi's ass-backwards medieval theocracy at all representative of mainstream Muslim thought.

Can you explain the polling in Egypt that suggests 84% of the population thinks you should be executed if you dissent or leave Islam? And which Western state does this as well?

http://www.pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

No where am I suggesting the West is perfect shining beacon of light because I do think we live under a dictatorship with the two party duopoly.

:watmm:

lots of chicks that wear hijabs say that it's a cultural thing or a symbol of god's protection, but i can't help but think they must be judging women who wear shorts and tank tops. i've never seen a muslim woman with just a hijab. they wear the full get up--arms and legs totally covered (i.e. long sleeve jacks and pants), even if it's summer time in florida when it gets to be in the high 90s during the day. i don't see how *that* is also a religious symbol or whatever.

I don't think you know many Muslim women. I know a few (including relatives of my partner) who wear the hijab along with T-shirts or whatever. My partner's sister wears one sometimes, sometimes she doesn't bother. It's more of a subcultural/fashion thing with her - just another accessory. She's a young teenage girl I might add, so I suppose that goes with the territory. She's wearing what her friends wear.

i'm speaking from experience. i had like three muslim ladies as friends in high school and they all dressed covered up (as well as wearing the hijab). my university has a huge muslim population and the majority of girls with a hijab (i won't say all because it's possible my memory is deceiving me) walk around covered up. i noticed it especially this summer when i was sweating in a tank top and shorts and they were walking around with jeans and long sleeve tops, sweatshirts and jackets. it's just an observation. maybe your partner's family is more liberal than most muslims. idk.

Briefly that it's absurd that compson et al should attempt to take the moral high ground about how 'the west' should reform other cultures' attitudes and reactions to rape.

By all means criticise atrocities that occur elsewhere in the world, but where's the threads about our own appallingly low conviction rates for sex crimes? About how conservatives' attempt to restrict access to abortion even in the case of rape essentially amount to forced pregnancy and birth - tantamount to torture?

It's all well and good to wear a feminist hat when criticising a foreign culture full of brown people, but in those posts it comes hand in hand with a completely uncritical attitude towards Western culture. It's a double standard, and a frankly racist one.

Lol u must be trolling. Women are oppressed in all societies, media oppresses women at a base level to start. No one is saying otherwise. This thread is about something else tho. And the fact that you always want to equate the West to being as bad as anything else ever, is an uncritical attitude. Also resorting to name calling and such is not cool dude.

btw What's the name of the horse you always gallop in on to proclaim your superior moral perspective? I've been meaning to ask for some time now.

wank.

go to saudia arabia and kick some butt or shut the fuck up.

feminists, liberals, this and thats, quasi intellectuals. argh. fuck em all and the horses they rode in on.

And the people who punished that woman will go to hell.

it's rediculous to compare low conviction rates for sex crimes in the western world with medieval corporal punishment and incarceration of rape victims in muslim countries. and honour killings might be different but are clearly part of the same issue.

you always seem to be arguing for the sake of it. ie: trolling.

Sent from my Facepalm5000 using Crapatalk 3-D

wank.

go to saudia arabia and kick some butt or shut the fuck up.

feminists, liberals, this and thats, quasi intellectuals. argh. fuck em all and the horses they rode in on.

And the people who punished that woman will go to hell.

lol. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

PS, remember, this is the actions of the state and not a bunch of ill-educated Muslim rednecks. The state. That's why this happened - because states victimise, oppress and punish the innocent every day. It's not unique to the Muslim world. Nor is Saudi's ass-backwards medieval theocracy at all representative of mainstream Muslim thought.

Can you explain the polling in Egypt that suggests 84% of the population thinks you should be executed if you dissent or leave Islam?

Can you explain the polling in Lebanon that suggests 93% of the population thinks you shouldn't be executed if you dissent or leave Islam?

http://www.pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims-around-the-world-divided-on-hamas-and-hezbollah/

Can you explain the polling in Egypt that suggests 84% of the population thinks you should be executed if you dissent or leave Islam?

Can you explain the polling in Lebanon that suggests 93% of the population thinks you shouldn't be executed if you dissent or leave Islam?

http://www.pewglobal...-and-hezbollah/

Lebanon is less radical duh.

Which is true for the US as well as the western world... lol

Can you answer in the form of poll findings?

Sure

Seven of the ten countries with the highest – that is, worst – grades when it comes to government restrictions on religion were OIC countries – Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Maldives, Malaysia and Indonesia. The other three were China, Burma and Eritrea.

http://www.pewforum.org/Government/Rising-Restrictions-on-Religion.aspx

Archived