IGNORED

Saudi woman sentenced to 100 lashes and year in jail for being raped

Rubin Farr

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was young, I read a national geographic article about saudi arabia, and I guess my brain didn't interpret it correctly, because I thought that saudi arabia was essentially the same thing as the empire from star wars, an oppressive rich kingdom with a big scary main building. If it was red it would look like the eye of sauron.

wpaf6c6737.jpg

the vast majority of the world behave like savages - may not be politically correct but it's true. it's only a very small fraction of the planet where "civilised society" (if you can call it that) exists. most of the world is still stuck in medieval attitudes and thinking. this is what is causing a lot of the problems today - the clash of these socially less developed cultures (in terms of moral acceptability) with western values of openness and freedom etc.

the vast majority of the world behave like savages - may not be politically correct but it's true. it's only a very small fraction of the planet where "civilised society" (if you can call it that) exists. most of the world is still stuck in medieval attitudes and thinking. this is what is causing a lot of the problems today - the clash of these socially less developed cultures (in terms of moral acceptability) with western values of openness and freedom etc.

Seriously? Let's see, North America, Europe, East Asia (and much of SE Asia), Australia, certain parts of Africa and most of South America all have what we would define as "appropriate" attitudes toward human rights. It is precisely because of the spread of these values that articles like this are shocking. If these situations were the norm in countries such as Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, they wouldn't be news.

And simply throwing western values of "openness and freedom" on situations is not a cure-all. If you want an easy to read introduction to the problems (not one that is condescending, but not too dry and academic) try Amy Chua's "World on Fire" (which has problems for sure, but it is certainly thought provoking).

Thank god for multiculturalism, now we can save these people from their own culture while they terrorize us with theirs.

lol seriously.

but no, Batista, Castillo and Reza Pahlavi were godsends to their people, USA must hold the mantle of the White Man's Burden and put these righteous pro-Western men in power so that these foolish backwards savages don't make the mistake of democratically electing evil.

My first instinct is that those bastards need to be executed. But that wouldn't solve anything. How can anyone do this kind of thing, especially to their own daughter?

Archived