IGNORED

Bungie - Destiny

lumpenprol

The stills look good. I'm interested in finding out more. I don't play MMO's anymore, but it sounds like it might be an interesting concept if they take the genre in another direction.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't really have to do with Halo, but I would like to see a FPS with MMO-like characteristics. For instance, what if you had a FPS multiplayer experience that would take you on a full campaign instead of just fighting on random maps. What if you had to take over certain points on a larger map [ie, an atlas of an entire country] in order to fight on certain multiplayer maps. And these campaigns would last months. You could change sides whenever your campaign [basically a war] has been completed.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

A lot of WATMMers seem really anti social when it comes to gaming.. and well life in general maybe outside of music nerd talk. This could be a completely fresh and interesting take on MMOs. I hate most MMOs but, gonna make a bet here: Well made, unique, intense MMOs and virtual reality headsets like the Oculus Rift are the future of immersive addictive gaming. MMOs have been really same old same old with a few exceptions but I absolutely think they really are where gaming is heading. Planetside 2, Firefall, Global Agenda, Hawken, Mechwarrior Online etc. etc. have been taking the things that make MMOs feel big and persistent and actually contained exciting combat.

Like Braintree said, FPSs matches are starting to feel too random and not like you're in a persistent goal driven war. After reading so much about Mechwarrior Online have RPG characterists and having XP and money that carries over after each match I could no longer play Mechwarrior Living Legends with much intent anymore.

Guest Frankie5fingers

This doesn't really have to do with Halo, but I would like to see a FPS with MMO-like characteristics. For instance, what if you had a FPS multiplayer experience that would take you on a full campaign instead of just fighting on random maps. What if you had to take over certain points on a larger map [ie, an atlas of an entire country] in order to fight on certain multiplayer maps. And these campaigns would last months. You could change sides whenever your campaign [basically a war] has been completed.

i like this idea. i barely played MMO's in my time but im already sick of em. they're basically all the same (with a few exceptions). but ive always wondered "why not have a campaign element where it goes on for months on end before it resets and a new massive campaign takes place." how can people not be bored on playing the same map over and over with nothing happening. you kill a guy, the end. rinse and repeat. how is that fun? i just don't get it. which is why i don't play MMOs. it doesnt necessarilly need to have some massive in depth story, but at least give me a goal. not capture the flag, king of the hill, most kills, etc...

planetside 2 has been kinda fun...not spectacular, but its free so cant really complain. but i think its a step in the right direction with that whole idea of massive war.

Dust514 isn't actually an MMO though (probably would have been a lot more like Planetside 2 ((which is an actual MMOFPS)) if they didn't develop it for PS3), it's tied into an MMO world (Eve Online) but has seperate but persistent world isolated map battles for control (like Global Agenda was before they added massive areas)

I played Dust514 a couple of times. I couldn't really get into it. It all seemed jerky and basic. Maybe it was just too early but it felt like stepping back 5 years and playing a new shooter. I still don't like what it's got on their main page:

DUST 514® – A MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER

Now that just sounds wrong to me.

Guest Frankie5fingers

BTW what Braintree is talking about already happens in Planetside 2.

yeah but you don't win planetside 2. its just an endless war. i want an MMO like planetside but one you can actually win. not just mindless shooting until you get bored.

• 2 months later...

Yeah.. I hate those "THIS-IS-GOING-TO-BE-THE-BEST-THINGS-EVER" trailers.

But it sounds interesting.

But I'm not sure if it's for me. Sounds way to multiplayer focused for my taste.

Yeah I dig the environments artwork

lol wtf paul mccartney is making music for this game?

and its been in development for 6 years?

"in development" means a lot of things. They probably started talking about it 6-7 years ago, who knows? And I bet it's running on an entirely new engine, so they also had to develop that.

Also, they teased "Destiny" in Halo ODST, but no one understood the reference because nothing had been announced about it back in 2009.

They definitely have a kind sci fiction world that a kid would imagine. Definitely a bit nostalgic and colorful compared to Valve which is much more minimal.

That might be true for their character design, which is really kiddy and stupid at times

But their environmental/level design, is really good.

The Halo games (like them or not) has always had some really awesome and creative looking levels.

Is this going to be all humans versus six foot tall humanoid aliens then? Because that's not very imaginative. Their environment design is great I agree, Bungie are really good, though I never bothered with Halo anything after 3.

Kind of sick of generic shooty aliens with guns things. I'm getting old, obviously.

Archived