1. 1. What was your score?

• 0 - 10
    • 11 - 22
    • 23 - 31
    • 32 - 50

• 2 weeks later...

how deep does the rabbit hole go?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/40285769

Musically naive autistic children were compared with musically naive mental age-matched control subjects for their ability to identify and remember single-note frequencies or speech sounds. As an analogy to testing for absolute pitch, subjects were asked after two different time intervals to point out animal pictures previously paired with these stimuli. The results showed that although both groups identified and recalled speech sounds equally well, those with autism demonstrated a superior ability for single-note identification over both time intervals. The findings are discussed in terms of an enhanced capacity, characteristic of autistic persons, to process and retain isolated, context-independent elements of stimulus arrays.

I only believe in an article when there's an independent study trying to show the opposite with -from its point of view - opposite results. ( sorry for wording it very badly here). There are so many crappy studies out there. Especially in the field of social sciences.

I blame the fact I'm half Jewish and dyslexic (Jews are rude which can sometimes seem as if autistic, I think it's all the inbreeding)

Yeah Im not autistic......

I think there's a difference between being rude and just stating things as they are. I've found that many ppl seem to get offended by stuff that seems perfectly natural (for me) to point out, because they're defensive and emotional creatures not logical ones. What you would expect from them is for a reasonable reply stating why you are wrong, which if sensible you wouldn't despute. Also, sometimes i say things just to develop an idea, see it from different directions, there is no malice or point scoring involved.

Still though, i've learnt to let that part of me hibernate when around normals. It still gets me into trouble when i least expect it though. -sie-

It's more about having a social antenna, I guess. Sometimes you have to be straightforward and direct, and possibly hurt feelings ( and sometimes you hurt feelings even though it wasn't your intention). So far everything is perfectly normal, right? But the point is, what do you do when people respond defensive? Do you notice it early, or rather far too late? Does your response make them even more defensive, or does it channel the tension back to where it should be?

Having a social antenna is about social grace. And social grace is about dealing effectively with all those imperfections and accidents that are daily business in social interactions.

When people respond emotional btw, that doesn't imply they aren't logical. It's obviously not your logic. But that's different to having no logic. There's always some sort of logic behind emotions or other defensive behavior. And that logic only becomes clear if you understand the why.

But i feel i'm only regurgitating the obvious.

Edit: normals!? Wtf ?

Edited by goDel

I always struggle with these tests because for about a third of the questions im thinking "yeah but what if". I'm often looking for an 'it depends' or an 'i dont know' option.

heh ..

For me i'm going, 'well if i answer it this way...'.

Also, i think of myself as gregarious but mostly keep to myself. And i probably don't read people's facial reactions very well because i never (used to) look at their faces. But then as i never looked at their faces, how would i learn the subtlties of their reactions. So i blunder on, charming and offending in equal measure. I try to make eye contact nowadays if i have to, it seems like a powerful tool but because i don't think i'll ever find it natural, i find the whole thing distracting to the process of the verbal communication that i've got going on. Still though it does help ppl register what i'm saying, it's odd. Language isn't enough for these ppl.

Anyway, i'd say that the best arbitor would be the brain scan, i ain't take no fooking multiple choice test.

It's more about having a social antenna, I guess. Sometimes you have to be straightforward and direct, and possibly hurt feelings ( and sometimes you hurt feelings even though it wasn't your intention). So far everything is perfectly normal, right? But the point is, what do you do when people respond defensive? Do you notice it early, or rather far too late? Does your response make them even more defensive, or does it channel the tension back to where it should be?

Having a social antenna is about social grace. And social grace is about dealing effectively with all those imperfections and accidents that are daily business in social interactions.

When people respond emotional btw, that doesn't imply they aren't logical. It's obviously not your logic. But that's different to having no logic. There's always some sort of logic behind emotions or other defensive behavior. And that logic only becomes clear if you understand the why.

lol, well. What would you call those creatures. Should they be offended for being representative of the general sensibilities of the species ?

I only believe in an article when there's an independent study trying to show the opposite with -from its point of view - opposite results. ( sorry for wording it very badly here). There are so many crappy studies out there. Especially in the field of social sciences.

yeah i know, i just wanted to feed into the whole "idm = magical autistic superpowers" mindset that a lot of people seem to have here.

lol, well. What would you call those creatures. Should they be offended for being representative of the general sensibilities of the species ?

It's silly to have such a notion, imo.

And are you implying you don't belong to the normals? And the distinction between logical creatures and emotional creatures is non-existent, right? I mean, obviously. Especially when youre talking about brain scans, you should be aware that everyone has got a huge part of their brain dealing with emotions and logic. What's the distinction from a physiological point of view between your normals and non-normals? If youre going for a "differences" kind of answer, please think about things like diversity and variations even within arbitrary groups of people.

Again, imo it's rubbish and intellectually lazy to make such a distinction.

Edited by goDel

heheheh ok. Every day experience from the whole of my life counts for nothing, ok then. I used to argue things on watmm an age ago, but now i just say something and well if you don't agree that's cool.

But, today i'll make a brief exception ;-]

I think for starters the idea that 'emotional logic' somehow conflates with what i meant by logic is spurious. Mostly you got your back up because you find that you have to define yourself as a normal, but want to be seen as somehow reaping the benefit (as if there is some) of being part of the marginal group. (If this is wrong i'm sorry)

Wasn't the whole point of the test in the first place, to draw attention to the fact that there's more than one way of being human. And so those more in the centre of the spectrum should perhaps be a little more eager to part with their set 'logic' on human interaction, by cutting the outlyers some empathic slack. It still however should be accepted that not everyone is the same, the vast bulk behave one way, and then you have a tapering edge that increasingly doesn't. Just stating that a large part of the brain deals with emotion, doesn't mean that it gets processed the same way. Sure my saying normal was more an exhibition of bombast and somewhat confrontational. But sometimes it is how i 'feel' when left completely at odds with the behaviour of these other human beings. Sure you could say that everyone feels alienated every now and again, and i'm just being 'intellectually lazy' and 'rubbish'. I don't proffess to be the most intellectually rigorous guy when it comes to arguing on watmm, but perhaps your not getting it helps to place your psychy at the door of normal mate.

phehe. sorry bored going for walk now.

back now .. i would like to state godel that i agree with you that a lot of these studies are meaningless. And i do understand that there are many different areas of the brain that can colour perspection and output. And lastly i have a sketchy understanding of the mental levers behind AS. I was just droning on about my own bs problems. heh.

nwae. I owe you a beer or something after that last post. take me up on it one day.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I've found that many ppl seem to get offended by stuff that seems perfectly natural (for me) to point out, because they're defensive and emotional creatures not logical ones. What you would expect from them is for a reasonable reply stating why you are wrong, which if sensible you wouldn't despute. Also, sometimes i say things just to develop an idea, see it from different directions, there is no malice or point scoring involved.

Yeah I tend to do this too. It gets me in trouble pretty regularly

yeah i know, i just wanted to feed into the whole "idm = magical autistic superpowers" mindset that a lot of people seem to have here.

i must have missed this conversation? autism is a good thing?

anyways, these "tests" if we assume they work as they claim only indicate autistic tendencies, not an actual autistic diagnosis. I mean, I know people that engage in OCD behavior once and a while but they aren't literally burdened with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. They are just really really anal about cleaning up their shelves.

i must have missed this conversation? autism is a good thing?

anyways, these "tests" if we assume they work as they claim only indicate autistic tendencies, not an actual autistic diagnosis. I mean, I know people that engage in OCD behavior once and a while but they aren't literally burdened with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. They are just really really anal about cleaning up their shelves.

some people use "autism" as an excuse for their perceived social inadequacies and to distinguish themselves from others.

in addition, some people with autism do think they are superior to so-called neurotypicals (i like the term neurotypical, but i don't like it being used as a noun). have you ever visited an aspergers forum? you'll inevitably see some members posting about how NTs are inferior humans. here's a thread that sums it up pretty well: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread588498/pg1

• 3 months later...

Server Error in '/' Application. ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

You are an Analord! comgratulations

I scored 43.

This type of test is by no means a diagnosis, obviously.

Should I see a doctor? whats to benefit? Do I get a card that gets me out of awkward situations?

No, you just have to make Cosmostrata Part 2 :flower:

People with a score between 0-10 and a score between 32-50 should all (be forced to) go to a party together. People between 11-22 and 23-31 can sit on the sideline to observe, taking psychological notes and writing sociological studies while eating popcorn.

I've got another proposition. The people scoring 0-10 can go sitting at the sideline eating some popcorn. The people in the 11-31 range can tirelessly argue with each other how the tests are invalid, the world is stupid and they're more right than others. And the people in the 32-50 department are allowed to go home to where they want to be.

I've got another proposition. The people scoring 0-10 can go sitting at the sideline eating some popcorn. The people in the 11-31 range can tirelessly argue with each other how the tests are invalid, the world is stupid and they're more right than others. And the people in the 32-50 department are allowed to go home to where they want to be.

I thoroughly agree with this statement.