IGNORED

Not Putting Stuff Online

Cryptowen

I only use Bandcamp because it's a really easy way to add album covers, tags and stuff to an album. For some reason, I just can't seem to make that work when I do it locally on my computer. After that, I just leave the albums on there. If some people likes it, good for them, they can download it for free and listen to it one more time, before moving it to the trash. If some people don't like it, good for them, it's 100% free and they'll never have to listen to it again.

I know this sounds a bit cliché and "hurr, I'm just like afx lol"-like, but my care-level is pretty much at 1/10 these days. I make tracks for myself, and if I someday figure out an even easier way to add tags and album covers to albums and stuff, I probably won't upload a whole lot ever again. There's simply too much music out there, and I kinda feel bad for uploading something that only I feel is actually interesting, while other considers it to be generic garbage.

meh

edit: does this post even relate to the OP? I'm not so sure.

I've had your last album playing all week though. :) Someone likes it!

i find the internet is a problem because you just sort of think rather than do

this is a big problem I have been having for ages. i don't think I'll ever get away completely until circumstances force me somehow.

Guest apeterlives

At the moment you're a drag-drop-upload away from instantly reaching a huge amount of people, but don't create something for the purpose of putting it online, create it for your own purpose. It's too easy to blame the internet for creative angst. It's too easy to blame the internet for a sapped attention span. It's too easy to blame free upload platforms for decreased visibility. Technology is not making us anymore stupid than we already are. It's just another tool in a long list of tools available for us to use and abuse. The "real world" and the internet are not opposing each other, they are one.

^the internet's a great tool fo sho (in a lot of different ways), but it kind of feels like the "resisting overexposure & cheap art" equivalent of giving a room full of obese dieters free KFC. You can still maintain your resolve (which is what I'm doing now) but a lot of people who might have otherwise pulled it off are gonna get sucked back in

Right now I'm taking a musical enema of sorts, spending several hours a day sitting in front of the driest fake-piano sounding keyboard available, not writing melodies or anything, just focusing on the character of each particular note & harmony in an attempt to re-hone my pitch recognition

Guest apeterlives

I think it's a matter of space... space is everything, finding the right space is key. You don't need to lie down and saturate in your own oily puddle at the bottom of a fast food bag. It doesn't matter if you're a small fry. Fuck McDonald's, you can be haute cuisine, and nothing is holding you back. What is that you say? You're stuck inside a cardboard box under a heat lamp in a buffet? Think outside the box. Envision a place, a faraway place, a place where you feel less value meal and more valuable. Get rid of the excess salt in your life. Add garlic-cilantro.

ive been thinking about taking all of my finished trax, recording them to cassette, then burying those cassettes in the dirt several feet down, and deleting all digital sources on my box. let the earth goddess gaia in all her wisdom be the only one who can hear my farty sounds.

I started off putting half finished shit up on SC just to feel like I had something to show for the time spent, and so I could show my mates what I was up to. These days I hold off till I don't think I can get anything more out of producing a track then post for some feedback and just live with it a while. I think eventually I'll go through the lot, take some of that feedback into account and make something final from them.

I think what I'm saying is I find SC pretty cool, it doesn't get me down, plus I like listening to everyone else's stuff. Way better than myspaz ever was.

As a follower - if someone posts a bunch of uninteresting/half assed tracks on Soundcloud (or a bunch of uninteresting or spammy tweets on twitter), I unfollow them pretty fast. It doesn't matter if I lose out on that one golden nugget, it's more important to get rid of the clutter.

As a followee - that's what I keep in the back of my head whenever I consider posting tracks on SC.

It doesn't get lost in the "digital faff." unless it is "digital faff.".

The internet helps share some amazing things that always inspire and awe a crowd who likes them. You reach out to a wider audience, plus your work gets saved for as long as technology thrives. A part of you becomes immortal. Our posts, our pictures, our work all here to stay and be shared with all who come across them. If you want to be known for being particularly good then filter your best or if you want to be honest with the world, then don't be shy of what you say or what you upload.

if you want to be honest with the world, then don't be shy of what you say or what you upload.

I respect this mindset (two of my favourite weirdo musicians, Tonetta & Jandek, seem to have released literally every recording of themselves handling a guitar that exists), but my current thinking is there's being honest & then there's walking around with no pants on going lookit muh willy

That & when I've got tracks all to myself it's like my own little world where I can watch things grow naturally. Putting it out there, having people comment on it (even just a few) changes that. I stop looking at it the same, maybe lose the thread I was just beginning to follow. I know it's all goofy subconscious nonsense but that's mostly what art is, right? This is less about public relations & more about purifying my own internal process

i have another account where i have a few tracks but i never followed anyone and it has about 9 followers. on my new soundcloud i have no tracks but followed about 1000 people and i have about 70 followers. it's easy to see how you could spend all your time following other people, and once you reach 2000 (which is the max amount of people you can follow) just unfollow anyone who hasnt followed you, rinse and repeat, before you know it you'll easily have 500-1000 followers.

also you can pay for services that give you followers. so now even your voice of singing john mayer over skrillex beats can have lots of views and comments.

http://soundcloudpromotions.com/

if you want to be honest with the world, then don't be shy of what you say or what you upload.

I respect this mindset (two of my favourite weirdo musicians, Tonetta & Jandek, seem to have released literally every recording of themselves handling a guitar that exists), but my current thinking is there's being honest & then there's walking around with no pants on going lookit muh willy

That & when I've got tracks all to myself it's like my own little world where I can watch things grow naturally. Putting it out there, having people comment on it (even just a few) changes that. I stop looking at it the same, maybe lose the thread I was just beginning to follow. I know it's all goofy subconscious nonsense but that's mostly what art is, right? This is less about public relations & more about purifying my own internal process

Well than your honestly telling the world your a nut ;)

Archived