IGNORED

North Korea

syd syside

@W7VOA 12m

Yonhap: #DPRK asks everyone in Kaesong industrial complex to depar
@W7VOA 12m

KCNA: All workers requested to leave Kaesong industrial zone.
Quote:
@W7VOA 10m

KCNA: All operations being suspended at #Kaesong industrial zone. #DPRK
Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA
NYT quotes unnamed senior U.S. official: "Overreaction by South Korea is a real risk — and we’re working on that problem.”
Edited by compson

inizia!

es beginnt!

det börjar!

il commence!

que comienza!

он начинается!

それが始まり!

Edited by Ceerial

(Reuters) - China's leaders issued thinly veiled rebukes to North Korea for raising regional tensions, with the president saying no country should throw the world into chaos and the foreign minister warning that Beijing would not allow mischief on its doorstep.

The weekend comments were the strongest yet by China in response to more than a month of North Korean rhetoric that has included threats to launch a nuclear attack on the United States and to wage war with Seoul.

No country "should be allowed to throw a region and even the whole world into chaos for selfish gain", President Xi Jinping told a forum on the southern Chinese island of Hainan. He did not name North Korea but he appeared to refer to Pyongyang.

Former U.S. Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman said Xi's comments were unprecedented.

"It suggests to me, as I've watched the ratcheting up of frustration among Chinese leaders over the last many years, that they've probably hit the 212-degree boiling point as it relates to North Korea," he told CNN on Sunday.

[...]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93408020130407

SEOUL, April 8 (Yonhap) -- North Korea said Monday that it will withdraw all of its workers from the Kaesong Industrial Complex in response to unacceptable provocations against the country's dignity.

The statement carried by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) monitored in Seoul said all North Korean workers will be pulled out from the border town located just north of the demilitarized zone.

It warned follow-up measures will be implemented after reviewing actions taken by the South.

--

Steve Herman report on Kaesong.

Pyongyang is to pull out all of its 53,000 workers from the only joint complex operated by the two Koreas. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman in Seoul reports this is an ominous development.

https://soundcloud.com/voa-korea/kaesong2

--

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html?c=homepage-t

Edited by compson

Guest yikes
Guest Al Hounos

Those articles are embarrassing.

America has done a lot of horrible things abroad, but to try and paint North Korea as a victim is insanity. The DPRK is possibly the most brutal, exploitative regime the world has ever seen.

Those articles are embarrassing.

America has done a lot of horrible things abroad, but to try and paint North Korea as a victim is insanity. The DPRK is possibly the most brutal, exploitative regime the world has ever seen.

Agreed

damn. NK still hasn't blown up the world.

By the way - the next big celebration for NK is going to be July 28th. That is "Victory Day", and it's the 60th anniversary of the armistice.

If they haven't blown up the world by then, will you stop posting wikipedia articles as the basis for your arguments compson?

damn. NK still hasn't blown up the world.

By the way - the next big celebration for NK is going to be July 28th. That is "Victory Day", and it's the 60th anniversary of the armistice.

If they haven't blown up the world by then, will you stop posting wikipedia articles as the basis for your arguments compson?

Wikipedia isn't that bad. It's not scholarly, but as a way to get general information about stuff, I think its pretty accurate.

Don't worry though, I am going to be diligent with researching this better with my jewish pals, the next wave of posts are gonna have some incredible foot notes. Just you wait and see ChenGod.

No, it's so you can actually gain some useful knowledge about the korean peninsula and the geo-political forces (both domestic and foreign) that have been in play since the end of the Second World War.

OK

Bruce Cumings - The Origins of the Korean War (1981)

William Stueck - Rethinking the Korean War (2002)

Jian Chen - China's Road to the Korean War (1994)

Shu Guang Zhang - Mao's Military Romanticism (1995)

Andrei Lankov - pretty much his whole bibliography (at least the English stuff, I don't read Russian, to my shame)

for a general overview of Korean history, Michael Seth's - A History of Korea is a pretty good read. Some quibbles that only a Korean history nerd would care about.

I'll post up some PDFs soon, although if you can read and digest those books in a critical manner in less than a week, I'd be impressed.