IGNORED

North Korea

syd syside

Very good piece! Wondering what the anti-emperialists/iinterventionalists think about this one. Forgive me my naive misunderstanding, but it's OK for the US to act out some diplomatic play on the international podium, right?

diplomacy is fine. i mean, as long as we go by the traditional kind of definition of diplomacy. dialogue and engagement that is.

compson, please keep this on topic or i will remove your ability to post in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

So this stuff is still going on. From Wikipedia:

21 April
North Korea moved two mobile missile launchers for short-range Scud missiles to the coast in South Hamgyeong province.
23 April
North Korea demanded recognition as a nuclear state as prerequisite for dialogue.
25 April
North Korea warned that it may use kamikaze nuclear attacks.
26 April
South Korea announced that it will withdraw its remaining workers from the Kaesong Industrial Region to protect their safety after the North Korean government rejects talks.
29 April
American Kenneth Bae held in North Korea could face the death penalty for allegedly conspiring to overthrow the government.
All but seven South Korean workers leave the Kaesong Industrial Region.
30 April
The annual Foal Eagle joint military drills between South Korea and the United States came to a close with both nations continuously monitoring the situation on the Korean penninsula.

Edited by gmanyo

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the Vice doc on North Korea (the new one with Dennis Rodman), its really good.

North Korea looks beautiful in a 1984 kind of way.

The computer lab scene is something out of Sci-fi, fascinating stuff.

Edited by Deer

Has anyone seen the Vice doc on North Korea (the new one with Dennis Rodman), its really good.

Do you have a direct link? Opening up the vice website defaults to the Dutch version of their site and I can't find it.

• 2 years later...
Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Do you have a direct link? Opening up the vice website defaults to the Dutch version of their site and I can't find it.

Bit of a late reply but it's here

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Just finished watching that Vice doc. Literally a million times better than The Interview, even if they hadn't been forced to edit out the entire second wave of head chunks. The end was really touching

Guest kymppinetti

wow so there is a north korea thread.

you guys should check this guys book, 'I was Kim Jong-il's Cook': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Fujimoto

it's pretty funny book and horrifying at some times.

also this: 'A Thousand Miles to Freedom: My Escape from North Korea' by sebastien falletti.

it's a story about young girl escaping north korea. really good too, it takes you in the scenes. the narrative it's quite straight lined, which i liked.

also this:

love that guy.