IGNORED

How 'Rational Atheists' spread anti Islam pro US military propaganda

awepittance

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting so sick of these accusations on the left

With zero evidence

what an ultra weird thing to say. 'the left'? the fact that you say you watch Maher's show and have seen no evidence of him being a bigot is actually extremely alarming. I'd have much more respect for you if you were like 'yeah he's a bit bigoted but he has some really good points about islam'. But to deny it completely is seriously twilight zone shit to me.

Still waiting for that evidence...

“Talk to women who’ve ever dated an Arab man. The results are not good.” - Bill Maher

looking forward to you finding a way to spin that as non-bigoted vs a harmless Michio kaku parody being cringe-worthy racist

That is indeed bad lol

(P.S. I don't watch his show beyond a clip or two on YouTube here and there)

limpy - islam is very firmly ingrained into the foundations of many middle eastern cultures and therefore it is tricky to criticise without implicitly criticising the very culture that is built around it. it's sort of unique in this sense, and there are delicate ways to discuss these issues which mr maher constantly overlooks. it's sort of like how scoffing at yom kippur or circumcision is also scoffing at jewish culture as well as their religion. even if someone was ethnically jewish but religiously neutral, you would still be insulting their heritage. and please don't jump in and say that you cannot be racist against jewish people, because i literally just explained why that is a myth.

one quick example with maher that comes to mind is him mocking the burqa as being a "bee keeper suit" which is basically normalising western view points as the standard of reference regardless of the fact that the burqa is thousands of years older than a bee keeper suit. not to mention the condescending assumption he makes that people in middle eastern countries are forced into it and wouldn't want to be part of it otherwise. to me that could easily said about all religions. if you were to instead to focus on extremism that'd be a different beast as you are addressing only the problematic cases where a small minority are abusing the integrity of the religion and related culture.

So if I complain about circumcision, I'm somehow insulting ethnically-Jewish people?

I hope that's not actually what you mean, because that's just idiotic.

What JE says is that yes, not all Muslims are bad, and the dehumanizing aspect of lumping all Muslims together as the same is wrong.

When you stop putting words in other people's mouths, then maybe people will be more willing to engage you in good faith.

lol, the ironing. putting words in the likes of Sam Harris mouth is pretty much all their critics do.

What JE says is that yes, not all Muslims are bad, and the dehumanizing aspect of lumping all Muslims together as the same is wrong.

When you stop putting words in other people's mouths, then maybe people will be more willing to engage you in good faith.

lol, the ironing. putting words in the likes of Sam Harris mouth is pretty much all their critics do.

For the millionth time: I don't care who practices Islam or why, just as I don't care who practices circumcision or why.

I think circumcision is a pre-scientific superstition.

(If that means that I think Jews are genetically and culturally inferior, then the I guess I'm Adolf fucking Hitler innit)

I also think Islam is pre-scientific rubbish.

(If that means that I somehow hate dark-skinned people, then LOL)

I guess I'll just go join the KKK now, since below my criticisms of new earth creationism, circumcision, blasphemy laws, oppression of women, human rights abuses etc etc is just my sense of genetic and cultural superiority.

Thank you for helping me see the light, guys.

When young earth creationism is criticized

The retort is 'that's a strawman

Not all Christians believe that'

(Btw, 40-50% of Americans are young earth creationists, so...)

A very similar thing happens when you criticize aspects of Islam

For example, the alarming rate of support for death for apostates

You hear 'that's a strawman

Not all Muslims believe that'

Yes, that is true

Now can we move on and talk about how

ANY amount of support for death for apostates is bad?

Can you see how this "tolerance" might be opressive?

A sort-of unwitting monkeywrenching of basic humanist goals?

If you can't see how faith and spirituality can benefit some people then there's no point in having the discussion.

Similarly, there are medical benefits in some cases to male circumcision. Scientifically proven.

But you know, keep keeping on with that martyr complex.

If you can't see how faith and spirituality can benefit some people then there's no point in having the discussion.

Similarly, there are medical benefits in some cases to male circumcision. Scientifically proven.

I'm all about spirituality

Don't see how that relates here, though

If your spirituality is contingent on dubious empirical claims

Then you're doing it wrong

And the fact that circumcision has benefits is a coincidence

This is stuff nobody knew 10,000 years ago

And has zero to do with why (say) I was circumcised

If people were circumcised for purely health reasons

Then I could get down with that

But if it's to appease some ancient superstition

Then frankly shame on you for defending it

The medical benefits of circumcision are vastly exaggerated, in most cases where mutilation apologists would justify it's use the correct treatment is simply time and not being a shitty parent (I.e. clean your fucking baby properly), for a smaller proportion stretching the skin is enough to solve the problem, in a still smaller number of cases a topical ointment is enough, only in a tiny percentage of cases would surgery be necessary.

i've actually been doing quite a bit of vomitorious Sam Harris reading homework, if you want me to post some choice quotes here that make Sam Harris sound identical to that crazy neocon I talked above I'd be happy to later.

here's a criticism without putting words in his mouth: sam harris is a deeply fucking disgusting sociopath hiding his flag waving nationalism within a teenage atheist catharsis.

the fact that this forum has been so influenced by his thinking is incredibly disturbing

but I agree that you still have to dive into this man's absolutely disgusting mind to really hurt him with a sharp weapon (which is what I will do in the future, i promise)

i've actually been doing quite a bit of vomitorious Sam Harris reading homework, if you want me to post some choice quotes here that make Sam Harris sound identical to that crazy neocon I talked above I'd be happy to later.

here's a criticism without putting words in his mouth: sam harris is a deeply fucking disgusting sociopath hiding his flag waving nationalism within a teenage atheist catharsis.

the fact that this forum has been so influenced by his thinking is incredibly disturbing

but I agree that you still have to dive into this man's absolutely disgusting mind to really hurt him with a sharp weapon (which is what I will do in the future, i promise)

Post any quote you like

EXCEPT

Whatever quote you post

You have to post the surrounding two paragraphs

Famously, Darwin can be selectively quote-mined to sound like a creationist

And still is to this day

So, as long as you do that

Fair game

But first

Lemme just point out how deeply un-scientific your persuit is

You have a hypothesis

("SH is an evil racist neocon")

And you now seeking out support for this hypothesis

All the while ignoring evidence to the contrary

In the past 3-4

I've never seen you once change your mind, JE

And I don't expect this issue to be an exception...

lol. I'll eagerly await you're totally not out of context quotes.

The medical benefits of circumcision are vastly exaggerated, in most cases where mutilation apologists would justify it's use the correct treatment is simply time and not being a shitty parent (I.e. clean your fucking baby properly), for a smaller proportion stretching the skin is enough to solve the problem, in a still smaller number of cases a topical ointment is enough, only in a tiny percentage of cases would surgery be necessary.

You guys - such proponents of science.

Unless

the science

goes against

you

r

be

lie

f

I'm fascinated by people's reactions to moral dilemmas

Truly fascinated

If you pose a moral dilemma

(Which, by definition, there is no good solution for)

Then people will exhibit what's called "moral dumbfounding"

as I've said before

Peter Sculley (child snuff producer)

Has a few collaborators who are currently walking free among us

Personally,

Given no good options

I would be 'okay' with him being tortured

If there was even a 1% chance that it would lead to their capture

Does that make me "pro-torture"?

(If I'd sacrifice one person to save five, does that make me "pro-murder"?)

Again, to take that position is to deny that moral dilemmas are actually difficult

And to take the "anti-torture" position

Is perhaps, by that logic, to take the "pro-child snuff" position

(Which is rediculous, of course)

Unless

the science

goes against

you

r

be

lie

f

Whether circumcision is healthy or not

Is an empirical claim

(You say it is and I trust your judgement)

Did my parents or the dude with the knife

Know anything about cancer rates and UTI's and HIV rates?

Or were they right by accident?

If I think that vitamin B12 prevents demonic possession

And give you B12

And it benefits you

Is that a good reason to keep that tradition?

Or should we replace that tradition with just taking B12 because it's healthy?

Unless

the science

goes against

you

r

be

lie

f

the science doesn't go against me. and none of your links back you up (the link to the prevention of HIV is particularly dumb). also, it's ludicrous to talk about the risks and benefits, and then ignore the fact of mutilating a baby for no good reason in your pro/con tabulation.

Archived